Down to minimum today

Old December 5th 03, 09:29 PM
Colin Kingsbury

Or just ask for delaying vectors, so you don't have to go through the full
"hold" rigmarole.

-cwk/

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
Surely the approach to Carlsbad has a hold somewhere. Suggest you
"request a descent in the hold because you are above your descent
profile".

Jeff wrote in message

well I am glad your approach went off well today, mine sucked big green

weenies.

Old December 5th 03, 10:56 PM
Jeff

no, there was no hold, I think there was one for the missed, but out over the ocean, the
opposite direction from which I came.

I should have slowed down and put my gear down is what I should have done, as it was I had
gained to much speed to drop the gear which caused me have to put the nose up and stop my
decent so I could lose the excess speed to get below the gear speed. I knew better.

Jeff wrote in message ...
well I am glad your approach went off well today, mine sucked big green weenies.

I was at 14,000 (MEA over the mountains), after I crossed mountains, they gave me
lower when I was 20 miles from the airport (carlsbad, ca), tell you what, it was
impossible to lose 13500 ft in 20 miles. I am glad it was VMC, I had filed IFR
because the forcast was possible IFR due to ceiling and fog, but it cleared up just
before I got in. I should have put my gear down when I got cleared onto the ILS (at
20 miles out), but I kept it up, GS was about 178 kts, wasnt going to happen. I had
to cancel 2 miles from the airport and do some 360's to lose the altitude.

Jeff

W9MV wrote:

It's been just about a year since I had gotten my IFR ticket, and have over 250
hours since, about 25 hours in actual.

But, my personal minimums have been 1000 ft and 3 miles.

Today (Knoxville, TN) we had perfect conditions to safely fly in the soup. (NO
ICE) I got my instructor on board and we flew three approaches, NDB, GPS, ILS.
During the NDB and GPS approaches we never saw the ground, but the additional
400 feet of the ILS approach, we completed the approach to a nice touch down.

We broke out at about 300 feet above the ground.

What an absolute excellent experience. Major difference? Having the instructor
as a safety pilot eliminated any lack of confidence from entering into the
flight.

All three approaches, if you indulge me in a little boasting, where close to
perfect. I know for a fact however, if I was flying these solo, my left leg
would be shaking uncontrollably due to the addrenaline.

But with a safety pilot (CFII) to my right, my confidence was high, and my
flying, radio work, and navigation went really well.

Anyway, I just had to post, this was such a wonderful training experience.

Question, does that leg ever stop shaking?

Mark

Old December 5th 03, 10:59 PM
Jeff

wouldnt have worked ddont think, SoCal had already turned me over to tower,
Tower would have had to turn me back over to SoCal and probably sent me out
over the ocean away from all the incomming traffic. Carlsbad is a nice airport,
I was impressed with it. Awsome service at western flight.