A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PIK-20 Trailer

Old August 12th 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

My PIK-20 factory trailer has a surge brake mechanism with a horizontally mounted gas? shock absorber. The shock absorber has become largely ineffective. When starting out from a stop, the tow hitch will extend rapidly and hit its stop with a jolt. I need to replace the absorber but can find no identifying labeling on it. It is likely original and from Europe somewhere but I cannot find a match. Does anyone know of a replacement possibility without totally removing and replacing the entire undercarriage?
Old August 12th 14, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

tiistai, 12. elokuuta 2014 5.37.16 UTC+3 lynn kirjoitti:
My PIK-20 factory trailer has a surge brake mechanism with a horizontally mounted gas? shock absorber. The shock absorber has become largely ineffective. When starting out from a stop, the tow hitch will extend rapidly and hit its stop with a jolt. I need to replace the absorber but can find no identifying labeling on it. It is likely original and from Europe somewhere but I cannot find a match. Does anyone know of a replacement possibility without totally removing and replacing the entire undercarriage?

There exists several mechanisms for PIK-20 trailer, most of them probably german from 70's (mine had Hahn). Parts may be hard or impossible to obtain (though shock absorber is most likely the easiest to find). I had the whole undercarriage and mechanics changed to new parts in my PIK trailer. It's only 1-2 day job at shop, total cost bit over 1000 eur incl. parts. Highly recommended.
Old August 12th 14, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

For my Eberle which is probably similar vintage, I found the device was a steering strut used on early German tanks. Company still in business but of course no longer has such a damper.

OReilly Auto Parts helped me determine an appropriate Monroe steering damper to use. Length and throw are critical measurements. Eliminated banging. I have pictures on Standard Cirrus Yahoo site under 209 Project.

Lane
Old August 12th 14, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

On Monday, August 11, 2014 10:37:16 PM UTC-4, lynn wrote:

Hi Lynn,

Can't hurt to give these guys a ring. They appear to specialize in restoring and recharging gas struts. They've given quotes over the LS gliders group of around $20 for the typical canopy and landing gear struts. Considering the hassle of trying to find a near replacement, it's probably worth giving these guys a chance. http://www.strutwise.com/

P3
Old August 13th 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

Gliders are such a small market you can bet the strut you're looking for
is widely used somewhere else. For example, I got the original part
number for my canopy lift strut from the LAK factory and then researched
the part number. Eventually I found that it is used in the mid-90s BMW
740 series cars with steel hood (bonnet). A call to my local AutoZone
got me a new one in 2 days for about $30. I had to swap the rod ends
from old to new, but that was no problem.

Dan Marotta

On 8/12/2014 1:23 PM, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, August 11, 2014 10:37:16 PM UTC-4, lynn wrote:

Hi Lynn,

Can't hurt to give these guys a ring. They appear to specialize in restoring and recharging gas struts. They've given quotes over the LS gliders group of around $20 for the typical canopy and landing gear struts. Considering the hassle of trying to find a near replacement, it's probably worth giving these guys a chance. http://www.strutwise.com/

P3

Old August 18th 14, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

Am 12.08.2014 04:37, lynn wrote:

Lynn,

there should be an aluminium label on the drawbar with some maker & type
information on it. If you can write down ALL that information I might be
able to help you where to find the damper.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old August 18th 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TravisBrown73[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default PIK-20 Trailer

As a last resort, and if you don't need the surge-break feature (it will be a function of the weight of the trailer/contents v.s. the towing vehicle weight,) you could chop off that surge mechanism and "simplify it."
I had a local welding shop do that with mine. No more surge-brake, though...or trailer brake of any kind, really.
~Travis