A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Who repairs Dittel radios?

Old February 9th 14, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

Default Who repairs Dittel radios?

My Dittel FSG-2T works great on receive but no longer on transmit.

Can anyone recommend a US repairman that has specifically repaired Dittel brand units in recent years with a good outcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 9th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

NICK'S ELECTRONICS & AVIONICS
Nick Popovski
13370 SW 131 St. Unit #113
Miami, FL 33186
305-278-3831
305-383-1446

Old February 9th 14, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Just sent my Dittel in to the shop above Tim listed.

I believe in the US that is your best choice from the
research that I did.
Old February 9th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Be very careful to be absolutely specific when you describe your problem to Mr Popovski. I had the same problem. Some time after sending the radio I got a message from him that there was nothing wrong with my radio and it was sent back. (Two US mailing costs.)
I had checked the glider wiring with an identical Dittel so knew that was OK. The radio still did not receive.
Next it was sent to the German repair agent for Dittel. The diagnosis was very fast -- seemingly as soon as it had arrived at the German shop. The problem was a failed bit of the circuit board that related to the output to the speaker.
The cost of the replacement part was trivial; the labor cost was on the German scale; two international shipping costs significant.
Via a German friend as translator the German technical chap's assessment of the difference in diagnosis was that Mr Popovski had only used a headset to test the radio, not a speaker. The German had done both and it worked on the headset which reassured him that the problem was not some serious derangement of the radio and was confined to the speaker circuit.
My information to Mr Popovski undoubtedly said the same as Steve's note: transmits fine but will not receive. Check both ways before sending!

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:39:31 PM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:

Can anyone recommend a US repairman that has specifically repaired Dittel brand units in recent years with a good outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old February 10th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Romeozulu
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:39:31 AM UTC+1, Steve Koerner wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Anton Lang, Flugfunk in Germany is the best guy. He has a load of spares for most Dittels, and can turn them around fast.
Should anyone need help with translations please contact me, I am willing to help.
Old February 12th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Eckstein
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:39:31 PM UTC-8, Steve Koerner wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Contact Peninsula Avionics, Inc. and see if they can help, I sent them an old FGS 60M and they were able to repair it.

Sean
Old August 21st 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:39:31 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:

Thanks in advance.

So, I have a similar problem in a nearly new (5 months old) Dittle FSG-2T. Receives fine. Carrier tone when the PTT is pushed. No voice. There was a day right after I got the radio where I wasn't sure anyone was hearing me, but I though I was out of range of the other guys. Now, I'm wondering if this is an intermittent problem.

So, before I start pulling everything out, any obvious things to check? I will try a continuity check on the mic cable next, but I'm trying to avoid pulling the radio until it's the last resort. There's a lot of stuff in the way...

Thanks in advance,

P3
Old August 22nd 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Perhaps a broken wire in the mic circuit (even inside the microphone head).

Dan Marotta

On 8/21/2014 4:20 PM, Papa3 wrote:
On Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:39:31 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:

Thanks in advance.

So, I have a similar problem in a nearly new (5 months old) Dittle FSG-2T. Receives fine. Carrier tone when the PTT is pushed. No voice. There was a day right after I got the radio where I wasn't sure anyone was hearing me, but I though I was out of range of the other guys. Now, I'm wondering if this is an intermittent problem.

So, before I start pulling everything out, any obvious things to check? I will try a continuity check on the mic cable next, but I'm trying to avoid pulling the radio until it's the last resort. There's a lot of stuff in the way...

Thanks in advance,

P3

Old August 22nd 14, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

Eric, I had the exact problem to the point that I couldn't find the solution and had to fly the Nationals using a handheld radio for communication. I did eventually find it and all is well now.

There are other things involved besides just the radio. What kind of mic setup do you have and did it happen with a previous radio or mic? Was anything changed in changing radios? More details will help.