The OLC

Old August 26th 14, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The OLC

THE OLC
I'm of the opinion that the OLC is the best thing that has happened to cross country flying since the advent of the GPS data logger. Having said that, who are these guys any way? Let's start with Ken Sorenson from Houston. This guy is a one man club and it looks like he has racked up more flight miles than just about anyone else and in soggy old Houston no less. He has keep his gang at the top of the total points listings for the entire year.
Then we have the clubs. How about those Minden guys, eh? They know how to rally the troops and even went so far as to get the SSA HQ to wave their banner. What's not to like about that? Of course it's really the individual pilots who make the difference in the overall competition.
Albuquerque Soaring in Moriarty NM is fortunate to have the likes of Mike Abernathy who consistently pushes his Stemme around the NM skies racking up the miles. Jim Cumiford (who just sold his ASW-27) has set the club's fastest speed this year and did so during the course of the Speed Legue.
This Sunday (08/24/14) at the urging of both Mark Mocho and Rennie Rozzoni, we had eighteen...that's eighteen folks post for Albuquerque. No doubt as a result of the glove thrown down by Jim Payne and Mitch Polinsky of Minden. The day before, with marginal conditions, ten club members flew well enough to at least get points on the board, and then came Sunday. Not your best Moriarty day, but one filled with consistent lift, a sky filled with Cu and no overdevelopment. We even had a wanna-be shear line that worked for a while.
There is just a bit over a month until the end of the OLC season, but I hope we can continue to see some intense cross-country miles racked up by all of us.
We who fly here in NM are truly blessed with excellent conditions and hope to host a cross-country/ OLC clinic next year.
Old August 26th 14, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

It is interesting to note that out of 57 possible flights in the 19 week OLC League, Moriarty posted 53 scoring flights. Out of those 53 flights, 46 were made from Moriarty. (ASC pilots also scored at: Littlefield-2 flights, Nephi, Air Sailing, Salida, Ely, Parowan- 1 each)

Also, Bill Hill (Zulu, Discus 2) scored the fastest for Moriarty on 9 flights, and also had 3 second position and 2 third position scores, for a total of 14 out of 19 possible scores. I'd say Billy has what it takes!

We would also like to congratulate Minden Soaring Club, LSV Burgdorf (DE) and FLC Schwandorf (DE) for their exceptional efforts. It was literally "down to the wire" on the last weekend! As usual, it was the weather that determined the final score.

Best of luck to you all next year! It's always fun, and the challenge is unique in the world of competition.