Spot Landing Competition Rules

Old August 16th 14, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gliderpilotGR

Default Spot Landing Competition Rules

Hello,

I would be grateful for advice on organising a Spot Landing Competion.
things like scoring / penalties, use of ground markers or "fences". Ideally someone might offer a complete set of contest rules.

Local glider community is interested in a time management / spot landing competition event as a way of stirring up interest and maintaining spectator appeal. I have been tasked to write national level rules to make this happen.

My own preference, in the interest of realism and educational value would be towards setting up simulated fences on the approach and the far end and scoring for a touchdown in relation to the approach fence. However, I am concerned that this may lead to dangerously slow / full brake approaches and heavy landings, either during the event or as bad habits passed on. Objectively penalising such techniques is difficult.

The other alternative is to measure in relation to ground markers only, but I wonder how much space should be marked and how much to penalise each metre / foot beyond the target. IMO, final resting place should not affect results as it encourages wheelbrake use.

I am aware that there are a few suggestion in a 1999 thread, but would appreciate fresh practical advice.
It is likely that Grob 103 Twin IIs will be the main type used. Some single seaters would certainly have an advantage. I suspect one may even work out a handicap system !

Many thanks in advance,

VM
Old August 17th 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

The Chicago Glider Club annual spot landing competition uses one simple rule to make it harder: no wheel brake. Then, it's just who rolls closest to the pylon.

John Cochrane
Old August 17th 14, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:52:00 AM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
The Chicago Glider Club annual spot landing competition uses one simple rule to make it harder: no wheel brake. Then, it's just who rolls closest to the pylon.

John Cochrane

Can you put your feet out?
Old August 17th 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Anchor management?

Boggs
Old August 18th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

On 2014-08-16 22:43:48 +0000, gliderpilotGR said:

My own preference, in the interest of realism and educational value
would be towards setting up simulated fences on the approach and the
far end and scoring for a touchdown in relation to the approach fence.

My club used to do this, usually on the day of the AGM.

A toitoi[1] fence is set up on the threshold, a domestic lawnmower used
to cut a super-short one pass wide stip down the centerline, and the
airsped and altimeter covered.

Contestents are judged by (from what I remember as a contentent, not a judge):

- releasing at a nominated height (1200 ft from memory)
- establishing a trimmed speed
- accuracy of speed control in a figure 8 turn
- starting the circuit at 800 ft
- appropriate crcuit/approach speed
- not hitting the fence
- touching down on and remaining on the center line
- stopping near a mark (no wheel brake).

I was fluky enough to win it a couple of times around the late 80s/early 90s.

Alas, I don't think the contest has been run for some time. I don't
know whether that is because the members who organised it moved out of
the area (fact); participation dropped (fact), possibly due to rising
cost of tows (speculation); the club moved from training in Blaniks to
Grob Twins (and then DG1000) (fact) and someone thought it was too
risky (speculation).

I think it may have been run a few times in the glass ships with
altimeter covered but not the airspeed.

We do still get students who are about to solo to do a flight or two in
the DG1000 with all front seat instruments covered, but without the
"marginal outlanding simulation" pressure. They are always surprised at
how much of non-issue it is.

However, I am concerned that this may lead to dangerously slow / full
brake approaches and heavy landings, either during the event or as bad
habits passed on.

Yellow triangle speed, close to max brakes is what you *should* be
doing. The hilarious (and dangerous) ones are those who do a slow
shallow approach and then try to bunny hop over the fence.

[1] NZ native plant. http://bit.ly/1oT7w8E

Old August 18th 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 15:43:48 -0700 (PDT), gliderpilotGR
wrote:

[...]

Rules we are using since at least 30 years for our annual spot landing
competition:

- Draw a very visible line on the runway - this is the touchdown
point. It is usually necessary to use some additional markers to
enhance the visibility of this line

- draw 10 lines 10 meters apart behind that line
- draw 5 lines 2 meters apart in front of that line

Here in Germany we teach that only a tail-wheel-first landing is a
good landing. Hence, the touchdown of the glider is defined by the
first ground contact of the main wheel.

- One point penalty for each meter behind the touchdown point
- Ten points penalty for each meter in front of the touchdown point

- We are using a jury that judges each landing and assigns penalties
if the landing is considered sub-standard.

- 2 competition classes: Student pilots and licensed pilots.

Works extremely well, and so far we have not found that single-seaters
offer any advantage over the bigger ships.

Best regards from Germany
Andreas

Old August 25th 14, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gliderpilotGR

Thanks to all, for the responses !

VM
Old December 19th 14, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:43:48 PM UTC-4, gliderpilotGR wrote:
[...]

Older post I know, but I can dig up the rules we used for the "Snowbird event" held Thanksgiving weekend at HHSC (Elmira, NY).
It was a combination of:
-Precision duration
-Spot landing/parking
-Altitude gain
......all scored in a single flight. The primary goal (other than fun) was energy management and off field landing practice.

It was a marked off runway (~200' total) that had landing zones, "ditch" and then park to a cone. It forced a reasonably steep approach at the correct speed so you could get the sight angle for the touchdown and not so much speed you needed good brakes to get stopped.

The drawings & rules "may" be on the HHSC website.
Note, many years ago I mentioned to the guys from M&H Soaring that, "The overall winner one year was to be the CD the next year".....I was the CD a few times...
[Thanks Heinz & Monty.....LOL....]

PS, done right, a 2-33 or 1-26 could win the event.
Old December 19th 14, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/HHS...ird_Rules.html

Harris hill has been doing a neat spot landing competition annually for the last 70+ years.
Old December 19th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

snip

how much to penalise each metre / foot beyond the target snip

I always thought the target was a brick wall at the end of the landing zone. The penalty for crossing it would be heavy!

--
Dan Marotta