A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

trailer light module issues

Old August 19th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default trailer light module issues

I have an Avionic trailer that has been revised to run a flat-4 plug. My Kia Sportage requires a light module kit that plugs into the wire harness and then outputs to the trailer plug.

I keep blowing up the modules..............any ideas what might be the cause? These things are expensive and usually I need to install a new one at the start of each season.

thanks,
Brad
Old August 19th 14, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:14:02 AM UTC-6, Brad wrote:
I have an Avionic trailer that has been revised to run a flat-4 plug. My Kia Sportage requires a light module kit that plugs into the wire harness and then outputs to the trailer plug.

I keep blowing up the modules..............any ideas what might be the cause? These things are expensive and usually I need to install a new one at the start of each season.

thanks,

Brad

Unlikely your problem...

I had a boat trailer that blew fuses on long trips but everything checked out fine when the mechanic checked the wires.

The problem turned out to be a tail light wire shorted to the trailer chassis. The trailer had to be connected to the hitch to cause a problem.

Alan
Old August 19th 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

I found exactly the same problem with my previous Cobra that Alan describes.
It behaved fine until connected to the car.
The car suggests using a 30A fuse for the trailer circuit, likely for electric brakes. For just lighting, 10 is more appropriate and will save the module.
Jim
Old August 20th 14, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:14:02 AM UTC-5, Brad wrote:

thanks,

Brad

- Cleaning all exposed, and rusty, trailer side contacts helped in my case, also try getting a flat 4 plug fused contact. Fuse is located right inside of the plug. Ever since I replaced all lighting with corresponding LEDs permanently "fixed" the problem.
Old August 20th 14, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

thanks,

Brad

- Cleaning all exposed, and rusty, trailer side contacts helped in my case, also try getting a flat 4 plug fused contact. Fuse is located right inside of the plug. Ever since I replaced all lighting with corresponding LED assemblies, it permanently "fixed" the problem.
Old August 20th 14, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

thanks,

Brad

- Cleaning all exposed, and rusty, trailer side contacts helped in my case, also try getting a flat 4 plug fused contact. Fuse is located right inside of the plug. Ever since I replaced all lighting with corresponding LED assemblies, it permanently "fixed" the problem.
Also, check the resistance with the multimeter between the positive cable and the ground, maybe one of the 4 legs is exposed and leaking voltage pulling extra amps. You could also connect your multimeter in series with the positive, turn on your lights, and check the amperage consumption. Good luck.