Predator crashed

Old May 3rd 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Predator crashed

Stealth Pilot wrote:
On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:23:50 -0700, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

On Tue, 2 May 2006 00:36:12 -0400, "Morgans" wrote:

"Richard Lamb" wrote

I heard rumor it was shot down...
That's one hell of a good shot, if it really was at 12,000 feet, as it was
reported to be! g

Reminds me about the story about the Fed pouncing on a rancher who'd fired a
rifle at a military fighter that he claimed had been buzzing his cattle. The
fighter pilot denied it, claiming he'd been in straight-and-level flight several
thousand feet up.

Fighter pilot, however, could NOT explain why the rifle bullet's exit hole was
only slightly higher on the left side of the fuselage than the entry hole in the
right....

Ron Wanttaja

turning while shot.
a steep turn would make the situation easily achieved.

Stealth pilot

The pilot said "straight and level." See above.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 3rd 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

".Blueskies." wrote:

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message ...

Morgans wrote:

I read in Avweb that a predator crashed, recently.

Anyone wanna make a bet, that it's Rotax puked? g

Sorry, everyone. I couldn't pass up the opportunity! :-)
--
Jim in NC

I heard rumor it was shot down...

RC planes get shot down pretty often - the term used when someone interferes with your radio signal causing a loss of
control...

;-)

small emp would do it...
Old May 3rd 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Andy Asberry wrote:

On Mon, 1 May 2006 20:06:34 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

I read in Avweb that a predator crashed, recently.

Anyone wanna make a bet, that it's Rotax puked? g

Sorry, everyone. I couldn't pass up the opportunity! :-)

Her's a link to a photo and some info on a Global Hawk.

http://www.asberry.net/Aircraft.htm

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

LoL! Rotax?

That thing is a monster!
Old May 3rd 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

I read in Avweb that a predator crashed, recently.

Anyone wanna make a bet, that it's Rotax puked? g

Sorry, everyone. I couldn't pass up the opportunity! :-)

Her's a link to a photo and some info on a Global Hawk.

http://www.asberry.net/Aircraft.htm

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

LoL! Rotax?

That thing is a monster!

It was not the Global Hawk, but the Predator B. Still a monster, though.

I would have thought they were using the original Predator, with the Rotax.
I guess they have more of our money than they know what to do with. :-(
--
Jim in NC

Old May 5th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

[...]

The pilot said "several thousand feet up", too. See above.

That would be a rather spectacularly good shot on the
part of the rancher.

--

FF

Old May 5th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

A lttle discussed issue about RPVs is that they do not survive
ordinary use that well. I read somewhere that 1000 hours has rarely
been exceeded before some glitch or other stuffs them into a hillside
or cornfield even without being shot at.

The Predator has a lot of landing mishaps, but class A accidents are
close to predicted rates.

Old May 5th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard Lamb wrote:
interesting...

The rumor that a UAV was shot down and everybody assumes
it was some hich farmer with a blunderbuss.

From AvWeek -

The drone was transitioning from control by its General Atomics pilot
to an automatic flying mode, said Kostelnik, a former commander of the
USAF Armament Center. The drone dropped from 10,000 feet above ground
after a total system failure. An on-board fire or hostile attack are
not immediately suspected.

"It's pretty much destroyed, it's not going to be reparable," Kostelnik
said. CBP Air and Marine already is talking with General Atomics about
a "loaner" Predator.

No one was hurt by the crash in the air or on the ground, Kostelnik
said. A CBP-led team, with representatives from General Atomics, the
National Transportation Safety Board and possibly including the Air
Force, already is investigating the incident, but results won't be
known for several weeks, he said.

"It wasn't the thing going berserk and going away. It had some sort of
massive technical, mechanical failure, who knows," he said.

Old May 5th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard Riley wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:
interesting...

The rumor that a UAV was shot down and everybody assumes
it was some hich farmer with a blunderbuss.

From AvWeek -

[...]

Thanks, Richard

Richard
Old May 5th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote

Thanks, Richard

Richard

*ONE* of you, or the other, really need to consider changing your ID, and/or
sig line. Like going with Richard R, or Richard L, or whatever.

All of the "Richard's" in the "from" line and sig lines are really getting
confusing, and are totally overwhelming me! g

"Who's on first?"
--
Jim in NC