Airport web cam

Old October 30th 03, 10:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Airport web cam

As many of you know, I've been looking for an affordable wireless web cam
that would allow me to show pictures of the Iowa City airport from the
balcony of our hotel. (The view from the Red Baron suite is perfect for
watching arrivals and departures on any of our three runways.)

Unfortunately, the prices seem to be astronomical for these devices.
There's one on Ebay right now ( http://makeashorterlink.com/?L27452466 )
that seems to have some potential, however -- and it's affordable.

However, I don't want to buy something that's not going to work, or (worse
yet) require a massive investment in time to keep working. Can anyone
comment on this particular product, or steer me towards a better product in
the same price range?

The goals a

-Weatherproof
- Wireless
- Good quality picture
- Ability to focus on infinity
- Range of at least 100 feet
- Easy to make work!

(I'm not asking too much, am I?

Thanks for your expertise, as always.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 03, 11:29 PM
Ben Jackson

In article 5ugob.64797$Tr4.170496@attbi_s03,
Jay Honeck wrote:
-Weatherproof

Doesn't look weatherproof, doesn't even claim to be weatherproof.

If you are planning to get around that by getting your own enclosure
anyway, I'd save the hassle of wireless video - video capture card and
pay a little more and get an 802.11b wirless camera with a builtin
webserver. At least if you have wireless internet set up already it's
going to be plug'n'play.

The D-Link DCS1000W is available for $225+ (dell has it for $236).

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DCS-1000W

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 31st 03, 01:57 AM
Jay Honeck

The D-Link DCS1000W is available for $225+ (dell has it for $236).

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DCS-1000W

Looks good. (When you click on the "buy it" link, however, the price is
$279)

Any ideas on a waterproof enclosure? Anyone know what cold temperatures
does to these things?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 03, 03:08 AM
Ben Jackson

In article nkjob.64640$HS4.585111@attbi_s01,
Jay Honeck wrote:
The D-Link DCS1000W is available for $225+ (dell has it for $236).

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DCS-1000W

Looks good. (When you click on the "buy it" link, however, the price is
$279)

Oh, that's the link to dlink's own page, I don't have a link to Dell,
they were just the cheapest reputable dealer I saw offhand on shopper.com.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 31st 03, 03:34 AM
Paul Sengupta

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2EC62466

Paul

Old October 31st 03, 04:04 AM
Jay Honeck

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2EC62466

Good price!

I wonder what the effective range is?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 03, 05:08 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jay Honeck" writes:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2EC62466

Good price!

I wonder what the effective range is?

Well, it's an 802.11B device, which gives some idea. It also probably
means that using a directional antenna on the base station can greatly
extend the range; that could be very helpful to you.

(*Claimed* ranges for 802.11b are well over 100 feet).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old October 31st 03, 05:32 AM
Paul Sengupta

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
It also probably
means that using a directional antenna on the base station can greatly
extend the range; that could be very helpful to you.

http://products.wi-fiplanet.com/wifi...a/recent1.html

Paul

Old October 31st 03, 01:11 PM

Jay,

You might want to take a look at www.smarthome.com, they sell a
variety of wired and wireless outdoor cams, and the prices don't look
too bad.

cheers,
mark

Old October 31st 03, 02:19 PM
Jay Honeck

at what price? IMHO you are asking too much.
option is (if possible) to run a cable to your cam

I wish I could. The optimal spot for the camera is on the third floor of a
building separated from my office (where the computers are) by an access
road.

Wireless is my only option.
--
Jay Honeck