Cobra Trailer Fuselage Dolly Strap

Old February 27th 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Fuselage Dolly Strap

Anyone have advice for replacing the fuselage dolly strap for a cobra trailer? I got an estimate from Spindelberger and it's reasonable for the strap but the shipping is a bit much.

Also, what's the best method to make the holes into the strap for attaching to the dolly?

Thanks
David
Old February 27th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 7:49:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone have advice for replacing the fuselage dolly strap for a cobra trailer? I got an estimate from Spindelberger and it's reasonable for the strap but the shipping is a bit much.

Also, what's the best method to make the holes into the strap for attaching to the dolly?

Thanks
David

Wings and wheels sells them. I used a heated cork borer, but any small metal tube about the size of the bolts will work to make a hole that will not rip out. Get it hot enough to melt through the webbing.
Old February 27th 20, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 9:49:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone have advice for replacing the fuselage dolly strap for a cobra trailer? I got an estimate from Spindelberger and it's reasonable for the strap but the shipping is a bit much.

Also, what's the best method to make the holes into the strap for attaching to the dolly?

Thanks
David

David - you can buy the webbing from various sources. To make the hole, I use a hole-punch, which stamps out a nice sharp hole. I then use a lighter to 'cauterize' the open fibers. Put two holes into the end of the strap and double it over. Use two fender washers (one on each side of the strap) to spread out the load and give it a good pinch.

Uli
'AS'
Old February 27th 20, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't know when they were used but my 1992 Cobra has aluminum "straps". They're fairly stout strips bent to provide clearance from the fuselage (and padded). They're bolted to and pivoting on the dolly at the lower end. At the upper end, there's a plastic bushing that slides over the front fuselage carry-through pin and is held in place by a clip inserted in a hole drilled in the end of the pin.

I had thought they were fairly common but I mostly see the webbing straps now.

They're more expensive to make. And they can be a little more work to align when derigging. But after pushing my previous glider's fuselage out of the dolly when it jammed rolling it into the trailer and once discovering that the dolly had slid part way out from under the fuselage while trailering, I would install these on any new trailer, not that I anticipate getting a new trailer.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old February 27th 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 2:18:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Aluminum straps are common for ships with lift pins on the fuselage(ex. Schleicher). One benefit, beyond keeping the dolly under the fuselage, is that they keep it upright. This has saved more than one canopy.
Straps are almost universal on ships that have lift pins on the wings(SH, Glasflugel, etc). I much prefer solid straps and have added to a few rigs, including SH.
UH