flaps again

Old January 2nd 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default flaps again

Hilton wrote:
Dudley wrote:
No flap landings should be handled by instructors as simply another
procedure to be learned. There's nothing earth shattering about a no flap
landing, BUT and this is a BIG BUT HERE......there are aspects of a no
flap landing that are very different from a landing using "flaps as
required", so all CFI's should demonstrate no flap landings and go over
the aspects of no flap landings with every student.
I don't treat this situation as an emergency; simply something the student
must be completely familiar with before solo.

I was in the pattern at night with a student in a C172 at RHV and we had a
total electrical failure. No lights, no flaps, ... I had him hold a
flashlight at the ASI and call out airspeeds, I then did a glassy water
landing - worked perfectly!

Hilton

I can't resist this so forgive me :-))

......and all this after staying at a Hilton and not a Holiday Inn
Express last night? :-))))))))))))))))))))))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 2nd 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Whiting

B A R R Y wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:00:44 -0600, Michael Ash
wrote:
Isn't there somewhat vague a section on emergency procedures which would
allow the examiner to say, "your flaps have failed, now go land"?

My examiner called the no flap landing an emergency procedure.

That is amazing. The only emergency associated with flaps is asymmetric
deployment! :-)

Matt
Old January 2nd 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:
wrote:
Isn't there somewhat vague a section on emergency procedures which
would
allow the examiner to say, "your flaps have failed, now go land"?
My examiner called the no flap landing an emergency procedure.

Exactly!

Then every landing made in a Piper Cub, Colt, or a Decathlon is an
emergency? :-))

Yes, especially when on one of those dangerous grass strips! :-)

Matt
Old January 2nd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:51:57 -0800 (PST), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

I've often met pilots who use no flaps on landing in very gusty
conditions or stiff crosswinds. I've tried this and don't really see
the benifits. Like a lot of things it's probably mostly in the head. I
think the higher touchdown speeds invovlved and the resultant float
only prolong the agony.

Flying a short-bodied Mooney, I would agree 100% with that comment.

I use full flaps for most landings. If the crosswinds or gusts are such
that I could not use the chosen runway, I have an alternate plan in mind.

The higher touchdown speed, and longer runway required landing with 0 flaps
versus 1/2 flaps versus full flaps is significant in my airplane, but does
not and should not present any kind of control issue.

I've used 0 flaps once out of necessity (landing with an iced up airplane
after getting into unforecast icing conditions); and I use 1/2 flaps
landing out of a CATII approach to minimums. Otherwise its full flaps.
--ron
Old January 2nd 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Godwin

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I can't resist this so forgive me :-))

.....and all this after staying at a Hilton and not a Holiday Inn
Express last night? :-))))))))))))))))))))))))

Tacky, really tacky lol

Old January 2nd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roy Smith

"Hilton" wrote:

I was in the pattern at night with a student in a C172 at RHV and we had a
total electrical failure. No lights, no flaps, ... I had him hold a
flashlight at the ASI and call out airspeeds, I then did a glassy water
landing - worked perfectly!

I'm confused -- if he was your student, why did you do the landing? Seems
like a perfect opportunity for a "learning experience".
Old January 2nd 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Hilton wrote:
Dudley wrote:
No flap landings should be handled by instructors as simply another
procedure to be learned. There's nothing earth shattering about a no flap
landing, BUT and this is a BIG BUT HERE......there are aspects of a no
flap landing that are very different from a landing using "flaps as
required", so all CFI's should demonstrate no flap landings and go over
the aspects of no flap landings with every student.
I don't treat this situation as an emergency; simply something the student
must be completely familiar with before solo.

I was in the pattern at night with a student in a C172 at RHV and we had a
total electrical failure. No lights, no flaps, ... I had him hold a
flashlight at the ASI and call out airspeeds, I then did a glassy water
landing - worked perfectly!

I had a complete electrical failure in a C177RG at night on the way from
Duluth to Minneapolis back in 2003. Not wanting to fly into either the
Class B or the Mode C veil without radio contact, I elected to put down
at an uncontrolled field north of the Cities. A buddy was flying a 182
on the same trip a mile or so ahead of me, so I got him on my handheld
and told him the plan. He went in ahead of me, assuring the
pilot-controlled runway lights got turned on and handling any radio
comms that might be needed if any other traffic showed up, while I
circled to make sure I got the gear down. Took a bit of pumping to get
it locked - it was reassuring that the tiny amount of remaining power
was enough to get a green light when it locked. So then it was just a
matter of landing NORDO, no lights, no flaps, in the dark. What fun! I
was sure glad I had practiced all of those, albeit not all at once.

My buddy was waiting on the ramp and said the only thing he saw as I
came in was the runway edge lights blinking out as I rolled past them.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roy Smith

Rich Ahrens wrote:
So then it was just a
matter of landing NORDO, no lights, no flaps, in the dark.

Man, you think it's tough landing with no lights in the dark, you should
try it during the day sometime. With the sun in your eyes, you can't even
tell if the lights are on or not.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

John Godwin wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I can't resist this so forgive me :-))

.....and all this after staying at a Hilton and not a Holiday Inn
Express last night? :-))))))))))))))))))))))))

Tacky, really tacky lol

My wife's right! She's afraid to have me sit down with normal
un-punaholic people.
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 2nd 08, 02:25 AM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld View Post
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:51:57 -0800 (PST),
I've used 0 flaps once out of necessity (landing with an iced up airplane
after getting into unforecast icing conditions); and I use 1/2 flaps
landing out of a CATII approach to minimums. Otherwise its full flaps.
--ron
You have a Mooney certified for Cat2 approaches?

flaps again Kobra Piloting 107 January 5th 08 04:31 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Piloting 84 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Owning 85 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
Cowl Flaps N114RW Home Built 0 June 27th 07 09:25 PM
FLAPS skysailor Soaring 36 September 7th 05 05:28 AM