Why airplanes fly

Old February 9th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
buttman

Default Why airplanes fly

On Feb 8, 2:25 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Michael Ash" wrote

Other examples abound. Just because he is well-spoken and doesn't swear
doesn't make him nice. In fact in some ways it makes it worse, because
it's all part of a manner which is used to make him look like the victim
when he comes along and insults all of these fine people with vastly more
knowledge and experience than himself (and more than me).

Exactly.

His presence here is an insult to all people that have found this forum to
be of value to them.

Everyone should be wise enough to realize this, and start treating him like
"he whose name must not be spoken."

Hell, I think I would rather have the "he whose name must not be spoken"
back, and MX gone. At least the other one was not playing games with the
group. You knew where he stood. In reality.

Yep, I'm sure of it. I'll vote for the switch.
--
Jim in NC

sheesh, it's just an internet discussion group. lighten up a little?
Old February 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Trust me on this: Anthony is not mildly retarded. I'd guess his IQ is
in at least the mid 120s (I wouldn't know what side of 127 to bet on,

I know it's not a perfect analogy. MX is quite bright, in many ways.

But he *is* inappropriate, and he *is* interested in aviation. And, as long
as you ignore his occasional incorrect outbursts, he is harmless -- just
like our Tuesday visitor. (The only thing missing is the keeper -- *that*
is what MX really needs.)

I used to occasionally worry about what students and newbies might
incorrectly learn from Anthony, but then Bertie came along and proved that a
real pilot could be far worse -- so I stopped worrying...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 9th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blueskies

"Viperdoc" wrote in message ...

Of course, what do I know- I'm probably the only Democrat in the Air Force.

Now, THAT would be a handicap!

;-)

Old February 9th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Tina

Doees the Baron even have a right wing?

I didn't know Democrats were even allowed in the airforce, but maybe
it's a don't ask don't tell deal.

I'm conservative, and in academia, so I have a sense of what you
mean. the problem is, what classic democrats and classic republicans
stood for have been really distorted. How do you like the idea of the
government borrowing money from us to give us so we can spend it.
Well, maybe our children will be the ones to pay it back!

Or for that matter, government expansion faster under the GOP (in
terms of expenses) than it did under Clinton! The aviation connection
is I'm damning both wings, and question the weight and balance
calculations..

On Feb 9, 9:17*am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Anthony is a bit different than someone who is developmentally delayed (the
current politically correct term). People (actual pilots) with experience
(people that have actually piloted an aircraft) have responded to Anthony's
questions, only to have Anthony argue about the accuracy of their statements
and advice.

He is really not interested in learning as much as he is in getting
attention. It is pathetic in a way, but also extremely annoying.

Even with killfiles, the NG is going to go wherever the preponderance of
posts take it. I think that ignoring him is only a partial answer, but the
main way to steer a group is to post even more relevant stuff on flying, and
ultimately overwhelm his idiotic drivel.

Of course, what do I know- I'm probably the only Democrat in the Air Force..

Old February 9th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Tina wrote:
Trust me on this: Anthony is not mildly retarded. I'd guess his IQ is
in at least the mid 120s (I wouldn't know what side of 127 to bet on,
frankly). His problems have to do with failures in different life
skills areas, and he gets his kicks cheaply here by annoying people
who for the most part have successful lives. Where else can someone
with a simulated life annoy so many people with real ones?

And of course responses feed his ego.

The interesting thing is, others who exhibit the same characteristics
who have been my patients really do think of themselves as superior
and don't, for the most part, understand why that isn't generally
recognized..

8:53 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
You really still have nice things to say about him, even as the smell
lingers?

I prefer to look at MX differently.

Almost every Movie Night, we have a mildly retarded young man and his
"keeper" show up. (For those who don't know, we show an aviation movie
every Tuesday night, at our aviation themed hotel.) The event is open to
the public, and free -- and the kid loves airplanes, so he comes.

All of the real pilots have made him feel welcome, even though he
occasionally blurts out something stupid or inappropriate. They recognize
that he's harmless, happens to love aviation, and -- although he's mildly
annoying -- we all slap him on the back when he arrives.

That's MX.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I'm far from being qualified to make these judgments but your read is
almost exactly my own on this issue.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 9th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Eliminating Trolls (again)

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:TCQqj.20663$9j6.9318
@attbi_s22:

Speaking of missing regulars, what's up with Montblack? Is he taking a
break, or does anyone know what became of him?

We just celebrated his birthday last weekend, and I asked him the same
question.

Bottom line: Same thing you're saying. The trolls are winning.

You wouldn't know what a troll was if it bit you in the ass you halfwit.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

As I have said before (with the exceptions above), there are only two
clear choices responsible Usenet participants are able to exercise:

1. Choosing what they read, and
2. Choosing to post or not.

Thankfully, so long as you're not using Google Groups to access
Usenet, Option #1 is enhanced by the judicious creation and use of
kill files. With three keystrokes, it is possible to eliminate 70% of
the chaff here -- all of it (amazingly) from a single troll.

Bwawhahwhahwh!

Would you like me to introduce you to some real trolls, Jaybo?

Bertie

Old February 9th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

Interesting history. Sad to see this sort of thing has happened many
times.

Boys will be boys, and the same bullies who make life difficult for
others on the playground make it nearly as difficult in cyberspace.

Yeh, right obfuscation boi.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_26_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Regardless, there's nothing that can be done to control it other than
withdraw and give up.

Not true, Doc. Kill files are your friend.

Example: I am certain that The Bunyip has responded to this thread, as
flies are attracted to you-know-what. I would bet a thousand bucks on
it. You may even be responding to his post.

But I'll never see it. It's absolutely wonderful.

You're a liar Jay. I know it and you know it.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

wrote

Like it or not there are loons and trolls on the Internet.

Well, I don't like it, and it's my right to say so, and do what I can
to get rid of them too. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of dickwads
that enjoy egging him on. If it were not for them, the trolls would
have been long gone.

The Internet has no law enforcement, not much content enforcement --
and I LIKE it that way. If there's a brawl, so be it. It's not like
you can't ignore that. There are plenty of tools to help you filter
out anything you don't want to see.

Yep, I can ignore it, like I will soon be ignoring you, I guess. You
are missing the point, though.

There used to be about three times the number of really cool, well
qualified people, that could speak volumes on the subjects of
aviation. They didn't think it was worth sticking around, and are now
gone. Now do you really want to tell me how all I have to do is
ignore the kooks? It will really be just as good as it was, before
one nut came in, and brough a bunch of other nuts that like picking on
nuts like him, and around and around we go with far less people that
can really talk aviation? That's what you want to tell me? I don't
think so.

I come here because there ARE people who I think have a high level of
experience with piloting and I like asking them questions. I listen
to what they say and I learn from it. I don't have many opinions,
usually just questions.

You would have really loved it, a couple years ago, then. There is
but a small sampling of people with the varied experiences that are
still here, compared to before. It is really sad that a few nut cases
can cause so much chaos.

But I'm sticking to this opinion: I get an occasional laugh out of
Mx's postulating and theorizing.

Yep, laugh, laugh, laugh. I suppose you think Jackass TV is pretty
damn funny, too.

You obviously haven't seen this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZK-aZ0rjY

Bertie

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 12:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 12:00 AM