Why airplanes fly

Old February 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
piynuB eht eitreB[_3_]

Default Why airplanes fly

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

But I'm sticking to this opinion: I get an occasional laugh out of
Mx's postulating and theorizing.

At the risk of bringing on Jim's wrath, I agree with you.

IMHO, MX is harmless, and occasionally starts interesting threads that
are actually aviation related. He may ask stupid questions, from time
to time, and he may even be a troll -- but I'll say this for him: He
is always a gentleman, and never stoops to the level of insulting
fellow posters.

Unlike you, hypocrite boi.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

You really still have nice things to say about him, even as the smell
lingers?

I prefer to look at MX differently.

Almost every Movie Night, we have a mildly retarded young man and his
"keeper" show up. (For those who don't know, we show an aviation
movie every Tuesday night, at our aviation themed hotel.)

Spam noted.

All of the real pilots have made him feel welcome, even though he
occasionally blurts out something stupid or inappropriate.

He, they've had a lot of practice with you.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Trust me on this: Anthony is not mildly retarded. I'd guess his IQ is
in at least the mid 120s (I wouldn't know what side of 127 to bet on,

I know it's not a perfect analogy. MX is quite bright, in many ways.

But he *is* inappropriate, and he *is* interested in aviation. And,
as long as you ignore his occasional incorrect outbursts, he is
harmless -- just like our Tuesday visitor. (The only thing missing is
the keeper -- *that* is what MX really needs.)

I used to occasionally worry about what students and newbies might
incorrectly learn from Anthony, but then Bertie came along and proved
that a real pilot could be far worse -- so I stopped worrying...

Ogh dear, you better cal the FAA, cause I stil tewach peole to fly,
fjukkwit.

And you teach them nonthing. (Don't worry, you can reply obliquiley to this
by pretending you saw it in another posters reply)

Berti
Old February 9th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

To take one personal example, he called me a bad pilot because I make
poor landings in a simulator.

Tell me that's not an insult. Tell me that's being a gentleman.

No, that's not having experience in both worlds, and being stupid.

Many real pilots struggle to land our sim, at first.

You don;'t land a sim, moron.

Bertie
Old February 9th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 5, 1:08*pm, wrote:
On Feb 4, 8:46*am, AJ wrote:

Why airplanes fly? Because if they didn't, they'd be cars.

And if you pull the wings off of a fly, you have created a new insect
called a walk.

If you don't put it down gently it's a crash.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 5, 5:19*pm, "Art Varrassi" wrote:
Mxsmanic,

That is a very concise and accurate statement and a good generalized
response to a layperson asking the question "how do airplanes fly?".

I see no reason for all of the snide comments from others.

You can't? Try using the other eye.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Feb 8, 12:20*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Interesting story and I can well believe he could have broken the
barrier as described. I also heard that the X1 was in fact designed by
the British and given to the Americans, along with data, due to the
expense of the British supersonic program and problems with repaying
war debt. Do you know anything about that -I once saw a old picture of
an "X1" in the UK but can't find it now.

Cheers
Old February 9th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
TheRealDeal

Default Eliminating Trolls (again)

Achtung!!!

Censorship Comrade
It is the only way!!

Jay Honeck wrote:
The quality of the discussions here has diminished by a factor of
ten. So have the quantity of people with real experiences to give
input to the discussions.

I agree 100% Jim. But I have a simple solution.

1. Use a newsreader like "Windows Mail" or "Outlook Express". As much
as I liked the search powers of Google Groups, their lack of any sort of
filtering reduced this newsgroup to chaos. I have therefore abandoned GGs.

2. With three keystrokes, you can create a killfile that utterly
eliminates every post by anyone you so designate as persona non grata.

I was two steps out the door from this group before rediscovering
newsreaders. Now, I only see the "good stuff" again, and the trolls can
do their continual verbal circle-jerk in complete anonymity, for all I
care.

Of course, the sad part is that this has all become necessary.
Killfiles weren't necessary for the first 9 years I was on this group,
but when a small-but-determined group of trolls with (seemingly endless)
time on their hands takes a hankering to a group, it's obvious that they
can destroy it pretty easily.

Old February 9th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:20 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Interesting story and I can well believe he could have broken the
barrier as described. I also heard that the X1 was in fact designed by
the British and given to the Americans, along with data, due to the
expense of the British supersonic program and problems with repaying
war debt. Do you know anything about that -I once saw a old picture of
an "X1" in the UK but can't find it now.

Cheers

To my knowledge, the X1 was a request research project from the old NACA
(now NASA) to Bell aircraft for an aircraft capable of making the
attempt to break the speed of sound.
I've never heard any mention of a design from the Brits. Actually, the
design concept was quite simple. They did the entire aircraft based on
ballistic tests with a 50 Cal. bullet even to taking the canopy out of
the equation and replacing it with molded in windows.
Based on the ballistic tests of the 1/2 inch bullet, Bell designers
expected the same transonic performance from the X1 provided they could
get it up to speed.
The horizontal tail proved to be the only real issue and they changed
that to a slab tail to solve the shock issue.
The F86 prototype was having the same problems at the same time in dives.
It's interesting that North American added a stabilator to the 86 later
on in it's production run but to my knowledge George Welsh who broke the
barrier the week before Yeager had a regular tail on the prototype which
was carried through to the first A Sabre.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 9th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in news:47abd290$0$1122
:

Morgans wrote:
Speaking of missing regulars, what's up with Montblack? Is he taking a
break, or does anyone know what became of him?

Remember my previous post about Jay's night clerk socking for him?

Oh I do!

What is it about Jay and drug addicts anyway?

Bertie

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 12:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 12:00 AM