Why airplanes fly

Old February 10th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

Default Why airplanes fly

This is why I always recommend that instructors encourage new student
pilots who use the simulator to NOT use it during the initial period of
dual instruction before solo. After that, the sim has uses that can be
beneficial in the flight training environment.

--
Dudley Henriques-

I think that's good advice because I had definitely picked up some
minor control input errors on landing from tweaking the joystick on
simulated landings. It wasn't hard to get rid of, but it was there and
it came from the sim. I tended to make small jerking pulls on the
control wheel (overcontrolling) when I should have held steady back
pressure.

That was usually just as the plane was settling down on the runway.

Old February 10th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Eliminating Trolls (again)

By not being willing to simply ignore what you don't like, you miss the
good stuff. You have apparently killfiled not only Bertie but any response
to him.

Untrue. Unfortunately, there is no way to killfile responses to Bertie.
(Or, if there is, I haven't figure out how to do it.)

Therefore, you miss not only the knowledgeable stuff that is posted under
his nome de plume but the discussions he has with the likes of Dudley H.
and others you respect.

As noted above, this is untrue.

However, saying that Bertie has anything of value to contribute here is like
saying that Hitler made some accurate observations about the Jews. Although
that may well be true, the rest of the source message is so distasteful as
to devalue everything else he might say.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Jay Honeck wrote:
By not being willing to simply ignore what you don't like, you miss
the good stuff. You have apparently killfiled not only Bertie but any
response to him.

Untrue. Unfortunately, there is no way to killfile responses to Bertie.
(Or, if there is, I haven't figure out how to do it.)

Therefore, you miss not only the knowledgeable stuff that is posted
under his nome de plume but the discussions he has with the likes of
Dudley H. and others you respect.

As noted above, this is untrue.

However, saying that Bertie has anything of value to contribute here is
like saying that Hitler made some accurate observations about the Jews.
Although that may well be true, the rest of the source message is so
distasteful as to devalue everything else he might say.

I guess I misinterpreted the following quote from your post to mean that
someone responding to Bertie's post would not be seen by you.

"You may even be responding to his post.

But I'll never see it. It's absolutely wonderful."
Old February 10th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Jay Honeck wrote:

However, saying that Bertie has anything of value to contribute here is
like saying that Hitler made some accurate observations about the Jews.
Although that may well be true,

I'm curious...which of Hitler's observations about the Jews were
"accurate" in your opinion?
Old February 10th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
buttman

On Feb 9, 4:15 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"buttman" wrote

sheesh, it's just an internet discussion group. lighten up a little?

THAT's funny.

You, telling me to not worry, and let free speech be, on a discussion group.

And, at the same time, advise me to stop saying what I have been saying.

Yep, this one's a keeper, for sure!
--
Jim in NC

What makes you think I'm telling you to stop saying what you've been
saying? If you want to work yourself up into stomach ulcers over
another person making posts on an internet forum, then be my guest.
I'm just here giving you a bit of advise; it may not be worth it.
Old February 10th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
buttman

On Feb 9, 4:18 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
buttman wrote :

On Feb 8, 2:25 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Michael Ash" wrote

Other examples abound. Just because he is well-spoken and doesn't
swear doesn't make him nice. In fact in some ways it makes it
worse, because it's all part of a manner which is used to make him
look like the victim when he comes along and insults all of these
fine people with vastly more knowledge and experience than himself
(and more than me).

Exactly.

His presence here is an insult to all people that have found this
forum to be of value to them.

Everyone should be wise enough to realize this, and start treating
him like "he whose name must not be spoken."

Hell, I think I would rather have the "he whose name must not be
spoken" back, and MX gone. At least the other one was not playing
games with the group. You knew where he stood. In reality.

Yep, I'm sure of it. I'll vote for the switch.
--
Jim in NC

sheesh, it's just an internet discussion group. lighten up a little?

Bwawahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhawhahhwahhwhawhahwhhahawha hwhahwh!

Bertie

Bwawahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhawhahhwahhwhawhahwhhahawha hwhahwh!
Old February 10th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blueskies

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message ...

After the student learns in the actual airplane to think of control use in terms of pressure rather than movement in a
direction, and after solo, I find no harm in going back to the sim for use as a training aid.

--
Dudley Henriques

Speaking of pressure, is there some sort of yoke interface for PCs that includes force feedback? Something where the
controls stiffen with speed and out of trim conditions? Never seen anything like that on any I have messed with. There
was a really nice $100,000 set up at OSH with two projectors on a curved screen that was very realistic, but I don't
think it had force feed back either...

Old February 10th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Blueskies wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

After the student learns in the actual airplane to think of control
use in terms of pressure rather than movement in a direction, and
after solo, I find no harm in going back to the sim for use as a
training aid.

--
Dudley Henriques

Speaking of pressure, is there some sort of yoke interface for PCs that
includes force feedback? Something where the controls stiffen with speed
and out of trim conditions? Never seen anything like that on any I have
messed with. There was a really nice $100,000 set up at OSH with two
projectors on a curved screen that was very realistic, but I don't think
it had force feed back either...

Yes there is. I've experimented with it and found it useless if the
objective sought is realistic aircraft control pressure feedback.
What it does do is create some "effects" for the user that are intended
to produce a more realistic experience, but in my opinion, the
technology falls way short of this goal.

In fact, my opinion of force feedback is so negative, I personally don't
use it.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 10th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

However, saying that Bertie has anything of value to contribute here is
like saying that Hitler made some accurate observations about the Jews.
Although that may well be true,

I'm curious...which of Hitler's observations about the Jews were
"accurate" in your opinion?

None of them. It was a metaphor, meant to illustrate precisely how bad
Bertie is for this group.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 12:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 12:00 AM