Why airplanes fly

Old February 10th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Why airplanes fly

Michael Ash wrote:
In rec.aviation.student Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Yes. I've trid it and the home sim feedback systems are a joke. Even
sophisticated sims aren't great this way and I still can't see even the
most sophisticated sims being anything more than an aid in teaching
procedures.

Seems like you ought to be able to get a fairly decent setup by using
bungees to center the stick and having some motors on the bungees. Move
them around to change the center if needed, tighten them to provide more
recentering force at high speed. Anyone know how the real force feedback
systems work and why my idea doesn't?

Wouldn't be worth the trouble. No matter what you do with force
feedback, unless you can come up with a way to duplicate the effect of
dynamic pressure on control surfaces based on a varying airspeed and air
density table, and for a specific aircraft to boot....you can't
duplicate actual control pressures for a desk top simulator.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 11th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Dudley Henriques wrote:
Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

I imagine you could do a fairly decent job. A sim such as X-Plane has much
of the data needed to come up with the right numbers. But then again, I
don't know whether this is "fairly decent" as in something which just
deceives you, or as in something which is actually worthwhile. In any case
it's somewhat academic, since if the software doesn't support it then
there's no point in having the hardware, and if there's no hardware the
software won't support it....

If even the big iron sims don't do a good job, it should be a good
indication that this problem is harder than it looks from the outside.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old February 11th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

In my opinion, no desktop simulator in use at this time coupled with any
controllers available for the intended purpose of replicating the
controls of an airplane in flight is capable of the fidelity level
necessary to duplicate the sensitive control "feel" absolutely critical
to the learning curve of a pre-solo student pilot.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 11th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Michael Ash wrote in
:

Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

Well, the smoothest pilots i know can't fly a "good" sim. The mechanical
ones can..

Says it all, really.

Bertie

Old February 11th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

It's down to rainy day or otherwise IFR for me. Only time I do it. And
I get bored really fast -- no matter how many add ons I jam in it.

Doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.
Old February 11th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in
:

On Feb 10, 6:53*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote

et.com:

wrote:
Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I have a couple of them lying around and I never use them. Once
you've flown under a couple of bridges they are a complete bore.

Doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.

Exactly.

Bertie

Old February 12th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck[_2_]

For the work I do on the sim program both for Microsoft and developers I
use strictly CH Products. I've found them to be quite dependable and I
recommend them highly.

I can second that recommendation.

In 18 months of daily use, our "Kiwi" (a full-sized flight simulator that
uses CH yoke and rudder pedals) has logged thousands of hours, with people
from every age group.

Given the abuse some of them have given the CH products, I'm frankly
surprised at how well they've held up. The plastic collar that surrounds
the metal shaft of the yoke broke after a woman exerted incredible force
trying to TWIST the yoke back to flare, rather than simply pulling back --
but a simple application of J-B Weld (the greatest stuff in the universe,
BTW) to reinforce the area has restored the yoke to full function.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 14th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

For the work I do on the sim program both for Microsoft and
developers I use strictly CH Products. I've found them to be quite
dependable and I recommend them highly.

I can second that recommendation.

In 18 months of daily use, our "Kiwi" (a full-sized flight simulator
that uses CH yoke and rudder pedals) has logged thousands of hours,
with people from every age group.

Given the abuse some of them have given the CH products, I'm frankly
surprised at how well they've held up. The plastic collar that
surrounds the metal shaft of the yoke broke after a woman exerted
incredible force trying to TWIST the yoke back to flare, rather than
simply pulling back -- but a simple application of J-B Weld (the
greatest stuff in the universe, BTW) to reinforce the area has
restored the yoke to full function.

Barf

Bertie

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 12:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 12:00 AM