Jeppesen skybound

Old May 10th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Moore

Default Jeppesen skybound

Has anyone managed to figgure out a fix for this dog?

In order to get a GPS card programmed using the Jeppesen
Skybondage adapter, I have to restart the application
over and over, it is continually deciding that the
card in the unit has 0 (zero) memory. It even tests
green using the applications "test card", then fails,
and then fails the test after that.

I was able to lessen the effect by plugging it directly
into a slot on the back of the computer. However, it
is still there and still annoying. It takes about 2-3
times on average of restarting and replugging everything
to get it to work.

Thanks.
Old May 10th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Travis Marlatte

For me, it seems like it just takes time. Don't plug the skybound adapter in
until the application is running. Then wait while the app finds and
recognizes the adapter and card. It seems that if the adapter/card is
recognized as a standard USB storage device first, it takes longer for the
app to figure things out. Sometimes I have to try the download twice but
never more than that.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old May 12th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-05-09 21:12:03 -0700, Scott Moore said:

Has anyone managed to figgure out a fix for this dog?

Complain to Jeppesen. A lot. They need to fire their whole software
development department and get some guys with real-world experience
with some 21st century technology.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 13th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_3_]

Amen,

What a joke for software development they have.

It took them two years to support XP when it came out. It has now been 15
months since the release of production Vista and there is no timeframe on
their website for support. It says "since this is beta product". Vista 32
bit even supports 16 bit software but Skybound still won't run.

At the very least their software could check for the presence of the USB
adapter and then try to reload the firmware again on it's own instead of
only relying on the operating system services.

They could care less about the customer in that division. They might use
the excuse of "critical" use, and it has to be correct every time. What a
bunch of BS. If you verify the end result with checksums you know it is
correct. I believe that someone is employed who has been there a long time
and they haven't kept up their skills.

Old May 13th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Jeppesen Services Update Manager v1.1.9.0 (old Skybound USB) works
fine under Vista. I update 6 cards a month with it (G1000 and 530W).

Old May 13th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

As a follow-up question regarding Jeppesen skybound, has anyone gotten it to
work on a Macintosh using BootCamp, Parallels, or VM Ware?

-- Dane
Old May 13th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-13, Dane Spearing wrote:
As a follow-up question regarding Jeppesen skybound, has anyone gotten it to
work on a Macintosh using BootCamp, Parallels, or VM Ware?

I would expect it to work with Parallels. I've had really good luck with it
connecting USB peripherals to Windows Server 2003. Have you tried it? I have
the feeling I'm going to be doing so, in a few weeks, since I'm getting a
GNS430W...
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 14th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_4_]

The current JSUM will not install even in compatibility mode for XP sp2. I
am not sure if I have a old copy of it around. It gives a message similar
to "incompatible with operating system" on install. This is a new install
of Vista32 and not an upgrade of XP. I downloaded numerous times the
Services manager from the Jepp website. I am not sure if XP has anything
similar to the SETVER command in DOS. I have only been trying the shortcut
options to choose XP compatibility so far.

I guess if I didn't have anything else to do I could waste hours and see if
I could fool it. I just use an older XP machine for now.

Old May 14th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_4_]

King ties the Jepp update to the gps unit serial# on at least the older
units during the actual download so it won't function even if copied.

I am aware of a way to copy the Jepp cards and they work, but it isn't worth
the effort. I would rather see people pay for their own copy since I pay
for mine.

C J Campbell wrote

Has anyone managed to figgure out a fix for this dog?

Complain to Jeppesen. A lot. They need to fire their whole software
development department and get some guys with real-world experience
with some 21st century technology.

Not defending them but they have probably done some anti-copy hacks,
to make it difficult to duplicate the cartridges. Can one just
duplicate the cartridges and share them? If not, why not?

Honeywell use a hacked file system in their KLN94 CF cartridges, which
plays havoc with compatibility.

Old May 14th 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Don't know, I insatlled and am running it fine under Vista here. You
do have to run it as Administrator to allow it the permissions to
install the hardware driver on startup, but beyond that it's been
seamless for me.

On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:58:10 GMT, "Ron A." wrote:

The current JSUM will not install even in compatibility mode for XP sp2. I
am not sure if I have a old copy of it around. It gives a message similar
to "incompatible with operating system" on install. This is a new install
of Vista32 and not an upgrade of XP. I downloaded numerous times the
Services manager from the Jepp website. I am not sure if XP has anything
similar to the SETVER command in DOS. I have only been trying the shortcut
options to choose XP compatibility so far.

I guess if I didn't have anything else to do I could waste hours and see if
I could fool it. I just use an older XP machine for now.

.. .