Shooting at helicopters, any proof? (Katrina)

Old September 4th 05, 09:58 PM
Flyingmonk

Never found a hole, and you're right, how would I know for sure.

Old September 5th 05, 02:22 AM
Jay Honeck

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...25-1077495.php

Wow -- a "combat operation." That really sums it up, doesn't it?

An acquaintance of mine has an interesting theory on what is causing the
chaos of looting, arson, and sniping going on in New Orleans: A fairly
large percentage of the poor population of the N.O. inner city are drug
addicts. With the extensive flooding and hurricane damage, they've all been
"without" their drugs of choice for quite a few days now -- and they're all
in withdrawal.

Hell, no *wonder* they're all acting nuts.

This would also explain why they didn't evacuate, I suppose -- and why they
haven't done much of anything to save themselves, for that matter?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 03:03 AM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:22:53 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...25-1077495.php

Wow -- a "combat operation." That really sums it up, doesn't it?

An acquaintance of mine has an interesting theory on what is causing the
chaos of looting, arson, and sniping going on in New Orleans: A fairly
large percentage of the poor population of the N.O. inner city are drug
addicts. With the extensive flooding and hurricane damage, they've all been
"without" their drugs of choice for quite a few days now -- and they're all
in withdrawal.

Hell, no *wonder* they're all acting nuts.

This would also explain why they didn't evacuate, I suppose -- and why they
haven't done much of anything to save themselves, for that matter?

Don't forget to factor in that every politician in the state from the
governor on down is a crook and all the cops are on the take.

Don
Old September 5th 05, 03:13 AM
Doof

"Don Tuite" wrote in message

This would also explain why they didn't evacuate, I suppose -- and why
they
haven't done much of anything to save themselves, for that matter?

Don't forget to factor in that every politician in the state from the
governor on down is a crook and all the cops are on the take.

Read up on how the Fed's tried to take apart the NOPD a few years back...it
didn't get very far other than about 50 went to federal prison (IIRC).

Old September 5th 05, 03:19 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 9/4/05 9:22 PM, in article N5NSe.327457$xm3.173851@attbi_s21, "Jay
Honeck" wrote:

An acquaintance of mine has an interesting theory on what is causing the
chaos of looting, arson, and sniping going on in New Orleans: A fairly
large percentage of the poor population of the N.O. inner city are drug
addicts. With the extensive flooding and hurricane damage, they've all been
"without" their drugs of choice for quite a few days now -- and they're all
in withdrawal.

Bull. The N.O. Police initially turned their heads at the looting, and if
some of the pictures I've seen haven't been misinterpreted, even joined in.
What they did was leave N. O. to the mercy of animals and the law of the
jungle prevailed. The cops dishonored themselves and abandoned their duties
and their city.

If you are a cop in the midst of a disaster, shoot looters. When you do, you
keep order, save lives and property.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 5th 05, 04:27 AM
Jay Honeck

If you are a cop in the midst of a disaster, shoot looters. When you do,
you
keep order, save lives and property.

Mary and I were just discussing this. Were this happening in Iowa, the
police would have to push through a pile of bodies to get to our hotel, in
order to find out what had happened.

It's absolutely unimaginable what is happening in N.O. And (other than on
Fox News) all the damned coverage is about these animals doing the looting,
rather than about the quiet, courageous recovery and rebuilding going on up
and down the Mississippi and Louisiana coastlines. And, let's not forget,
Florida took a fairly good hit, too.

There are thousands (millions?) of Americans going about the business of
rebuilding their lives, and we're just not getting the story. Is it just
me, or does it seem that the major news networks have set up just three main
cameras -- one at the N.O. airport, one on the bridge overlooking the
flooded parts of N.O, and the last one being the live feed from the A.P.
cameras?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 05:07 AM
Hotel 179

message snipped.........

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
quiet, courageous recovery and rebuilding going on up and down the
Mississippi and Louisiana coastlines. And, let's not forget, Florida took
a fairly good hit, too.

-------------------------------reply---------------------------------------

Jay,

We got whacked too!.....didn't we Bro. Luke....

Stephen
Alabama Coastline

Old September 5th 05, 07:01 AM
cjcampbell

Flyingmonk wrote:
1. Has any helicopter been shoot down during Katrina rescue attempt?
2. Has any helicopters returned with bullet holes? one bullet hole?

I'd say those people were shooting to get attention of the pilots.
When I was young, I was taught to shoot three times in the air if you
needed help.

I don't know how you would know people were shooting at you. Even in
wartime the only way you know is by looking at the tracer bullets or
little flashes on the ground. I suppose if someone actually hit your
aircraft you would notice, and you might receive reports from people on
the ground.

When I was young, I was taught all sorts of crazy things, too. I
probably still believe some of them, but I have learned to try to be
skeptical of them.

Old September 5th 05, 07:22 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jay Honeck wrote:
If you are a cop in the midst of a disaster, shoot looters. When you do,
you
keep order, save lives and property.

Mary and I were just discussing this. Were this happening in Iowa, the
police would have to push through a pile of bodies to get to our hotel, in
order to find out what had happened.

I was thinking back to the Rodney King riots: the only Korean shopkeepers who
still have shops stood in front of them with guns and kept the predators away.
As I pointed out to my anti-gun father, at least one person in this family is
prepared to deal with civil unrest. And now it doesn't seem all that
implausible.... I live in a major financial center with two nuclear power plants
within 30 miles.

I'm not inclined to go along quietly myself. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 5th 05, 11:02 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:56:39 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote:

Can the pilot of a helicopter *hear* shots being fired?

In Vietnam, one looked for muzzle flashes.

You probably could also hear the thang going through the skin of the
aircraft. Happily I never experienced that, so I can't say for sure.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com