Plumbing and Static Sources

Old December 9th 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo

Default Plumbing and Static Sources

I looked in the RAS archives for an article that delved into my question below. No dice. So here goes.

Consider for a moment two gliders and the multiple static pressure sources found within (tee'd left/right);

Ventus CM (Motor Glider)
1) Under the wings
2) On the sides of the boom about 6 ft from the tail
3) Prandtl probe in the vertical stabilizer

DG-100/200/300
1) About at mid-calf area
2) About at hip area

Between the two ships there are more static sources that you can shake a stick at from nearly the nose to nearly the tail.

So which static source should be used? Should particular static sources be sent to specific instruments? Should some static loving instruments be kept isolated? Can some mechanical instruments that use different air pressure sources (i.e. ASI with pitot and static) cause bad mojo with other instruments that also use static? Help!

Inquiring minds want to know. If you are going to tell me to start drilling holes for an alternative "perfect" static source location, please take up knitting.

Thanks

Old December 10th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:07:23 PM UTC-5, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:
[...]

Very simple- use the ones the manufacturer specifies for the airspeed indicator because all the limits on the glider are based upon those.
Altimeters don't care about static accuracy so any factory static should do fine.
Static ref for varios, when needed are probably best on aft fuselage statics if available, from my experience.
FWIW
UH
Old December 11th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Aft fuselage statics work well but can be more susceptible to clogging when dumping water ballast in certain gliders with lower-surface-of-wing outlets (e.g., my old LS 3, in which owners installed a switch to pump pitot pressure through the lines to keep them clear). Probes are vulnerable to ground handling damage and in-flight spearing of geese. Your call as to which is more likely.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old December 16th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As previously said - look in the manual and TC for directions from the manufacturer as to what source to use. Usually they will specify a source for the ASI system as the placard limits are in IAS using those sources. I've often found they will specify on for the altimeter too though as UH says it doesn't matter much for the altimeter. Paul Bickle and Dick Schraeder's tests usually found that the most accurate static sources are ones well aft on the fuselage sides so those should be used for varios. Static sources on the multi probe are probably very accurate too. If you have both aft fuselage statics and a multi probe you could use the fuselage ones for the mechanical vario and the multi probe for the electronic vario so that the two don't suffer from interference.
Old December 28th 14, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry for the unclear writing, that was what I was trying to say - interference between mechanical and electronic vario if using the same T.E. source with a T close to the instruments.

PANEL PLUMBING Travis Beach Soaring 3 December 5th 07 10:00 PM
PANEL PLUMBING Travis Beach Soaring 0 December 5th 07 02:16 PM
PANEL PLUMBING Travis Beach Soaring 0 December 5th 07 02:16 PM
fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 04:54 AM
Plumbing for a CAI 302 + Schuemann B-Box Mark Grubb Soaring 1 June 12th 04 03:39 PM