Solo Rigging Equipment

Old April 4th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default Solo Rigging Equipment

--

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm interested in being able to rig my glider by myself and have been
looking at the various kinds of equipment out there for this purpose.
Does anyone have any experience with Chip Bearden's WingMate? It
looks like an interesting design. Does anyone have one they are not
using and would like to part with? I tried contacting him about his
WingMate but haven't got a response.

Thanks,
Bob

I had a Wingmate a while back. It is not a "backsaver", but it is light and
compact, and works well in a plowed field. It is not good in high winds, but
OK in milder breezes. It is not for swept back wingtips. It worked well with
my ASW20 and a LS3. It would not work with my ASW27. Chip does not make them
anymore. I sold mine recently.

Hartley Falbaum

Old April 4th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

I don't like the idea of adding 3 more pieces of equipment to my
rigging aids, but I bet that he can do it pretty quick.

I use Udo's dolly and only need a safety spotter over 25 knots or so.
I have them stand at the dolly, not at the tip.

I do rotate the wing to level, if you really crank down on the wing
clamp, then the wing doesn't move around.

One note about Udo's rig, get the lateral adjustment option, it really
improves rigging ease.

Todd Smith
3S

Old April 4th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 4, 7:00 am, "toad" wrote:
I don't like the idea of adding 3 more pieces of equipment to my
rigging aids, but I bet that he can do it pretty quick.

I use Udo's dolly and only need a safety spotter over 25 knots or so.
I have them stand at the dolly, not at the tip.

I do rotate the wing to level, if you really crank down on the wing
clamp, then the wing doesn't move around.

One note about Udo's rig, get the lateral adjustment option, it really
improves rigging ease.

Todd Smith
3S

The Udo dolly is a good design, but a LAK-12 wing is on the extreme
limit of what it's capable of handling stablely. The examples I've
linked to have much wider tracks and some other advantages, however,
because of that wide track you can't roll them next to the fuselage,
so they have to be considered part of an integrated system.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley

Old April 4th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Apr 4, 11:01 am, "Frank Whiteley" wrote:
On Apr 4, 7:00 am, "toad" wrote:

[...]

That's a good point, and the wide track would greatly add to
stability.

Todd

Toad

Old April 4th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

I followed this thread with interest.

A few comments in the way I use the dolly with an ASW24 and a cobra
trailer. Other gliders may need a some what different approach.

After I pull out the Fuselage from the trailer, I make sure it is
lined up with the centre line of the trailer. Reason : It give me the
same amount of manoeuvring room on both sides. I mark that tail wheel
spot, if I am assembling on that spot more then once,

I also mark the points where the spar line is by dropping a marker,
peace
of wood (painted red if you like). This is quickly and easily done by
stepping back 20ft from the fuselage and sighting the spar box
opening.

I place the dolly wheel against and behind the landing gear wheel but
not
further then 6" away from the landing wheel and leave the lateral
adjustment in the centre. In am able to get the wing and dolly wheel
clear with one move of the boom usually. If not a couple of short
shunts will clear the wheel away from the fuselage boom.

I always recommend before using the dolly the first time to adjust the
wing stand and dolly in a way that the tension or load under the wing
is such that the pin come out easily and the wing is level, (same
hight) from the ground if the ground is a bit on a slope), then mark
the position on your wing stand and on your dolly for future
reference. The idea here is to get the root spar stub into the fusebox
aligned.

As for using the dolly in windy condition it take some for thought.
In my case I move the lateral adjustment over against the wind to get
a longer moment arm before placing the wing into the saddle.

The track width of the dolly is a compromise and mostly we assemble
when the wind is not hauling. Most of the customers would like to
store the unit in the front compartment of the trailer, as I do, with
the saddle removed.
That way it is very quickly ready to use. Also all it takes is one
wing stand, thereby the equipment list is kept to a minimum.
Udo

Old April 5th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
Note that in Bob's rig, the track of the one man dolly is MUCH greater than
those that must clear the tailboom/rudder. This makes it very hard for the
wind to overturn it. Also note that Bob rotates the wing level almost as
soon as the root is released from the root dolly. I've seen Bob de-rig his
very heavy LS3 in a 40 kt wind.

Wow! I would not want to even remove my tailplane in a 40 knot wind,
much less have the wing perpendicular to the wind when it's removed from
the fuselage, even when it is flat. I don't care how wide the track is:
at 40 knots, my wing panel could easily lift off the dolly if it got
just a small angle of attack, or a gust/turbulence. I mean, it's almost
flying with the fuselage attached!

I think this system is WAY safer than the "do-si-do" of walking the wing out
past the tail especially in a high wind.

When I take the wing out of the trailer, it's parallel to the wind, so
there is very little force on it. Moving it aft until the dolly is just
past the tail doesn't change that. Once it's past the tail, the wing can
be rotated flat, which greatly reduces the effect of the wind. Then,
it's moved into position besides the fuselage.

So, the moving past the tail is the safest part; moving it perpendicular
to the fuselage and the wind is where things get riskier, and that part
of the operation sets the limit on the wind I can handle.

Fortunately, I've never had to derig in really strong winds; instead,
I've tied down the glider, or got it to hangar or a sheltered area. Two
big motorhomes nose-to-nose in front of the glider can really help!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old April 5th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One of the reasons I was interested in Chip's WingMate is it's small
size when collapsed. I have a 1985 vintage Cobra. With a wing wheel
and tow bar along with the other usual stuff there doesn't seem to be
much room left up front. The only one I've seen used is one of Udo's
carts. It seems very easy to use. I wasn't around when he derigged
and will need to see how he fits it in the trailer with the other
stuff.

I was thinking of making something that would utilize the trailer's
wing fixtures. They are rigid but are at a position where they are
over the aileron at the trailing edge. I'm wondering if the process
of rotating the wing as well as being horizontal would be too much
stress on the aileron. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Bob

Old April 5th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Apr 4, 11:46 pm, wrote:
One of the reasons I was interested in Chip's WingMate is it's small
size when collapsed. I have a 1985 vintage Cobra. With a wing wheel
and tow bar along with the other usual stuff there doesn't seem to be
much room left up front. The only one I've seen used is one of Udo's
carts. It seems very easy to use. I wasn't around when he derigged
and will need to see how he fits it in the trailer with the other
stuff.

I was thinking of making something that would utilize the trailer's
wing fixtures. They are rigid but are at a position where they are
over the aileron at the trailing edge. I'm wondering if the process
of rotating the wing as well as being horizontal would be too much
stress on the aileron. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Bob

One trick that I have seen for storage is to put the wing saddle on a
wing in the trailer. That way, only the cross bar and wheels need to
fit up front.

Todd
3S

Old April 8th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden

I was traveling on biz and missed this thread.

But all the salient points were covered. I'm not currently making the
WingMate but will eventually get back to it (i.e., when my job is less
consuming, the kids go off to college, and/or my life calms down). In
the meantime...

1. Udo's rig (and those like it) works pretty well based on what I've
seen and heard. I tried that approach but didn't like it because I
wanted something usable in the lousy fields I often pick (the WingMate
doesn't really roll so you can use it anywhere). And, at the time, I
was younger and didn't have a bad back. And I wanted to be able to
assemble in the same elapsed time as with a helper, and with equal or
better security. I found those easier to achieve once I gave up having
the wingstand carry the entire wing in a big-wheeled dolly.
2. As a result, the WingMate is NOT a "back saver"--you still must
lift the heavy end of the spar and carry it a few steps to the
fuselage. It does stabilize the wing in the vertical position so you
can carry with both hands without having to worry about it wobbling.
I've found it's easier on my back now to rig/derig using the WingMate
than with a helper for this reason. If I had a much heavier wing, I
might have to rethink my approach.
3. Wind is bad no matter what gadget you're using. I've used mine in
the 20+ kts. range but it requires a little more planning and care. If
the trailer is oriented the wrong way or it's really gusty, I'll grab
someone just to stand by the wingtip for the few seconds when the wing
is vertical (i.e., broadside to the wind). That partially defeats the
purpose of solo rigging but it's easier on my heart. There's no way
I'd attempt it at 40 kts.!
4. It's pretty easy to solo rig without expensive special wingstands.
I did it the first time using cushions and the hood of a car. Others
have used bar stools and homemade stands. Where the special equipment
comes in handy is speed (of setting up the equipment as well as
riigging the glider), safety (from dropping, from wind, from breaking
something), and the ease of storing it in the front of the trailer.
5. The WingMate works best with clamshell type trailers (Cobra, Komet)
and on 15M or longer spans. The Udo wingstand is probably more
adaptable to other combinations.

I've been solo rigging for 25 years with no plans to change and I'm
happy to respond to queries at this email address and often do. Sorry
I missed the original poster's email; it's possible AOL's spam filter
may have intercepted it. I do occasionally hear about used WingMates
for sale and have made several referrals that resulted in sales. I
nearly always have pilots asking about it so if you have one and don't
need it, let me know.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old April 9th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

I have been using Chip's wingmate with my LS4 since 2000. Usually I
don't solo rig as it is a little quicker with a helper, but it is
always in my trailer when I need it on those self retreive landouts or
late landings when no one around. Never had a problem. It does not
take much place in the trailer so works perfect as a backup for me.

Ramy

On Apr 8, 10:31 am, "Chip Bearden" wrote:
[...]

Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 8 July 7th 06 08:30 AM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 0 July 6th 06 07:41 PM
rigging brs on a trike P.D. Products 0 June 28th 06 05:20 PM
ski rigging Drew Dalgleish Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 04:16 AM
Rigging a Cherokee 6-300 Dave Owning 17 October 6th 03 08:48 PM