747 is the greatest aircraft of all time, morons

Old December 2nd 03, 02:12 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:27:54 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
.. .

The JU-52 was a contemporary of the DC-3, which was clearly a far more
advanced and noteworthy aircraft.

Contemporary? The Ju-52 first flew in October 1930, more than five years
before the DC-3. That's a fairly long time in a period where aviation
technology was advancing rather rapidly.

The DC-2 (which was as similar to the DC-3 as the Ju-52 was to its latter iterations)
first flew on 1 July 1933. Three years makes them "contemporary" in my book.

Al Minyard
Old December 4th 03, 03:21 PM
robert arndt

Alan Minyard wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:27:54 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
.. .

The JU-52 was a contemporary of the DC-3, which was clearly a far more
advanced and noteworthy aircraft.

Contemporary? The Ju-52 first flew in October 1930, more than five years
before the DC-3. That's a fairly long time in a period where aviation
technology was advancing rather rapidly.

The DC-2 (which was as similar to the DC-3 as the Ju-52 was to its latter iterations)
first flew on 1 July 1933. Three years makes them "contemporary" in my book.

Al Minyard

Who cares Al? DLH had a whole bunch of world class aircraft that set a
bunch of records including the Junkers G.24, Junkers 52, Junkers G.38
(the Jumbo of the '30s with a bar and salon plus wing viewports) and
of course the modern Fw 200 Condor that flew record flights from
Berlin-New York and Berlin-Tokyo.
Other aircraft that were adapted from a civilian role to a military
one included: the He-111, Ju-90 series, Dornier flying boats, and
giant Bv 222.
Even so, the occupied French built two advanced high-wing Bv-144
transports that could have been Europe's medium range airliner
postwar:

(a rare photo): http://net.bialystok.pl/~hess/b/blohm_bv_144_fot_01.jpg

Rob

p.s. Al, your anti-German hatred is showing. Who doesn't love the
Ju-52? It is one of the world's greatest civilian aircraft of all
time.
Old December 5th 03, 07:52 PM
Kevin Brooks

From: "Kevin Brooks"

"B2431" wrote in message
From:
(robert arndt)

snip

p.s. Al, your anti-German hatred is showing. Who doesn't love the
Ju-52? It is one of the world's greatest civilian aircraft of all
time.

Your bias is showing. I have flown in both the Ju-52 and DC-3. I found

the
DC-3
superior.

The Ju-52 was Martin Caiden's.

Neat. I recall seeing that same aircraft back in the very late seventies
when Caidin flew it into Langley AFB for an openhouse. There were three
warbirds there--the Junkers, a P-38, and IIRC an AT-6. IIRC Caidin taxied

in
to the display line with his head poked up through an overhead hatch

while
waving at the crowd? Long time ago...

Brooks

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

That was the last weekend in July 1978. The P-38 belonged to Pete Sherman

if I
recall correctly. I got my rides (2) in the Junkers the day before the

open
house with the P-38 and some other airplane, I can't recall it's

designation,
in formation.

It was rather interesting watching the P-38 easily pass us with one prop
feathered.

Wow, small world. I can remember being amazed at how *slow* the P-38 seemed
when it did its flight demo--being used to the likes of the F-106's flown by
the 48 FIS and later the F-15's of the 1st TFW ripping over the
neighborhood. That was one of the last airshows I attended at Langley; ISTR
there was a nice A-10 flying demo and the usual (but still impressive) F-15
demo prior to the Thunderbirds show. A bit different from the days when the
316th TAW with its C-130's was the major resident unit at Langley (talk
about feathering...I can still remember seeing a C-130 pass overhead with
one feathered while on final approach)! Though I do recall an earlier
openhouse on the NASA side that included some flight demonstrations,
including a RATO assisted takeoff by a C-130E and a VTOL demo by a HS
Kestrel in NASA livery. I don't know how they do today, but when I was a kid
in the late sixties and early seventies the annual Langley airshow was the
highlight of my summers--my first recollection of them was when they were
still in the F-100, and I had a print of them flying their shortlived
F-105's hanging in my bedroom. Thanks for reviving good memories!

Brooks

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old December 6th 03, 03:12 AM
Pete

"Kevin Brooks" wrote

Thanks for reviving good memories!

Brooks

Langley is still quite good, if a little toned down.

A few years ago (97ish), a U-2 came in. Did a pass down the runway, and then
turned and landed.
Taxied to the end of the main show area, and TA was helping the pilot out.

As we were down towards that end, my son and I walked down there just as the
pilot was getting out.
Big helmet, pressure suit...the whole deal.

People were starting to take some pics...the pilot was just standing there.
Then off comes the helmet, and all this blond hair falls out.

The looks on people's faces was classic.
"OMG!!...It's a girl flying that thing!"

Pete

Old December 6th 03, 04:22 AM
Ron

Then there was the day in Stansted England with pea soup fog right down to
the
deck. Then we heard a pair of R-2800's overhead. No one believed that it
could make it down safely. It did. Out climbed a a WAAF ferry pilot. She
did
something we never thought she could do. Very impressive. She was delivering
new Marauder. But to these gals this was SOP and was repeated many times in
the
months to come..But she learned to fly long before the war began and had
more
hours than most of our pilots.

Reminds me of a story of a WAC pilot who, post war was a stewardess. On a
DC-4, the co pilot is a ex single engine fighter guy with a bit of an
attitude...Captain, who knew the stew well and knew she was a skilled pilot,
told the copilot to lose the attitude or he would invite the stewardess to come
in and take his place in the seat.

Copilot still has the attitude, but no clue she could fly, so captain invites
the stewardess to come in, where she then flies the appproach perfectly!

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old December 6th 03, 04:26 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron" wrote in message

Reminds me of a story of a WAC pilot who, post war was a stewardess.

WAC pilot? Perhaps you mean WASP.