photos of Moffet Field (NUQ)

Old December 2nd 03, 09:27 AM
miso

Default photos of Moffet Field (NUQ)

http://www.lazygranch.com/nuq.htm
I took a few aerial photos of this federal airfield. The FA18 photo
may be of interest to the group.
Old December 3rd 03, 04:59 AM
user

Awesome photos! Brings back a lot of memories. They never should have
kicked the Navy out of Moffett, I did 8 years there. You can thank
dellums and feinstein for that! Why should the F-18 be of interest?
Nothing at all peculiar about it. The trails you see outta the
wingtips are nothing more than vapor trails (not to be confused with
contrails), or "vapes". Might seem weird to the FNG, just like the
first time you see an aircraft dumping fuel, but perfectly normal.
These "vapes" normally happen in areas with high humidity. The passage
of an aircraft surface condenses the air parcels into tiny water
droplets. (laymans terms, I'm not a scientist, or engineer)

Old December 3rd 03, 05:05 AM
user

What is really of interest is how starnge the place looks with no
P-3's. Used to be more than 100 P-3's on that base. 6 operational
active squadrons (9, 19, 40, 46, 48, 50) with 9 airplanes each, one
reserve squadron with 9 a/c, (VP-91), VP-MAU with 9-11 P-3's, and of
course VP-31 the Rag with anywhere between 15-30 aircraft.

Old December 3rd 03, 07:48 AM
Regnirps

My old stomping grounds. Your C-141 looks like the old Kuiper infrared
observatory. A school chum of mine spent thousands of hours on that thing
chasing eclipses and such all over the word.

Does the NASA U-2 still take off every morning? It must be a lot quiter at the
golf course without the Orions coming in overhead.

-- Charlie Springer
Old December 3rd 03, 10:24 AM
Jim Knoyle

"Regnirps" wrote in message
My old stomping grounds. Your C-141 looks like the old Kuiper infrared
observatory. A school chum of mine spent thousands of hours on that thing
chasing eclipses and such all over the word.

Does the NASA U-2 still take off every morning? It must be a lot quiter at

the
golf course without the Orions coming in overhead.

-- Charlie Springer

I recall the day I was out running on the Palo Alto baylands and stopped
to watch the U-2 take off from Moffet about three miles away. The tiny
spec disappeared from my view directly overhead. Clear sky.
Several years earlier I lived under the landing pattern of those Orions
and they could be very quiet when they wanted them to be, but they
sure screwed up the TV picture. Then there were the night sounds.
I've heard several people comment about the different sounding
aircraft at night that they never heard or saw in daylight. Again, when
out running the baylands but just across the creek from Moffet, I heard
one of those night sounds, but in broad daylight. I stopped to watch.
Coming toward me was a twin propeller aircraft, but those blades
seemed unusually large. After it passed overhead and was over Moffet
it made it's change and landed. First time I had ever seen an Osprey.

Just by chance, before bringing up newsnet, I tuned in WCT201,
1700 on your AM radio dial. A canned announcement listing all of
the AMES Center gates and the hours they are open under the
present Homeland Security Threat Level Yellow.

JK

Old December 7th 03, 07:26 PM
Merlin Dorfman

user ) wrote:
: Awesome photos! Brings back a lot of memories. They never should have
: kicked the Navy out of Moffett, I did 8 years there. You can thank
: dellums and feinstein for that!

I'm amazed nobody has jumped on this. It's remotely possible
that you can thank Dellums and Feinstein for making the Navy want to
leave the Bay Area (Hunters Point, Mare Island, Alameda, etc.), but
the fact is that by the time he retired Dellums and the military
actually got along very well--some change on the military's part but
mostly Dellums understanding that the military is not a bunch of baby
killers. Feinstein actually has gotten along well with the military,
starting when she was mayor of San Francisco and continuing during
her time in the Senate. She tried hard to get the Missouri home-
ported in San Francisco when it was still in service.
Ultimately, though, it's the cost of living in the Bay Area
that makes it unwise to to ask military personnel to try to live
there on their pay. The Navy was happy to accept closing of all Bay
Area facilities as part of BRAC.

Old December 9th 03, 12:02 AM
miso

Few remember that it was Diane Feinstine that started San Francisco's
Fleet Week and took huge criticism for it. The GOP picked the bases to
close since they were in charge. Geez, even Boxer tried to stop the
base closures.

Some consider buying expensive hardware independent of functionality
or need a requirement of being pro-military. [Like building a missile
defense system that doesn't quite work, when a delay of a year or two
would shake out the bugs.] Dellums fought for veterans rights and
military pay, which I would consider pro-military as well. It's a
matter of whose side you are on. That is, the military contractors or
the foot soldiers.