TKM radios

Old August 5th 03, 11:04 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Default TKM radios

A Cheetah I fly has a couple of these radios. The radios have been to the
factory and supposedly meet specs, and the installation has been checked out
by two different avionics shops with no problems, yet these radios sound
terrible. They garble, distort, flutter, sometimes one or the other can't
be heard, etc. Yet at times they sound just fine.

Is this par for the course with these radios? Or something to do with this
particular installation?

Next year they are getting replaced but until then is there anything I can
do?

Old August 5th 03, 11:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Is this par for the course with these radios? Or something to do with
this
particular installation?

We had an MX 170B in our Warrior. It worked perfectly (still does,
according to the current owner) 100% of the time, with wonderful clarity.
My only gripe was the almost unusable memory feature, access to which
required a motion that could only be duplicated while sitting on the ground
with your arm on a rest.

It sure beat the old mechanical King beast it replaced...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 6th 03, 05:38 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Peter Gottlieb wrote:
A Cheetah I fly has a couple of these radios. The radios have been to the
factory and supposedly meet specs, and the installation has been checked out
by two different avionics shops with no problems, yet these radios sound
terrible. They garble, distort, flutter, sometimes one or the other can't
be heard, etc. Yet at times they sound just fine.

Is this par for the course with these radios?

No. Our experience: it has less power than the KX-170B
but is otherwise fine.

Or something to do with this particular installation?

It's either the radios, or the installation, or something else in
the plane. Gee, that's helpful. Do both radios sound the same?
Do they have problems at the same time? Do they have the same problem
with different brands of headsets? What about if you shut other
avionics off when they're having problems -- intercom for example.
Any change?

We were having some radio problems a few months back. Tracked to
1) bad intercom ground 2) malfunctioning ANR headset. Still some
occasional problems but it's not the MX radio, that's for sure.

Cleaning the antenna grounds also seemed to improve reception

Next year they are getting replaced but until then is there
anything I can do?

Can you borrow a KX-170B to replace one of the two and see if
you have the same problems? It would help you isolate the
problem.

Another question: if you have a handheld, does it have problems
at the same time the MX's have problems? RF interference from
something on the ground is another possibility...

It's probably worth some effort tracking it down since one
would hate to spend thousands on a new set of radios only to
have some of the problems follow along...

Cheers,
Sydney

Old August 15th 03, 06:36 AM
rkane33

Hey,

Send me the paper weights and I will pay the postage.

I bet you won't do it.

I'll be glad to set up a Fed Ex or UPS.

Make my day, John

Old August 15th 03, 02:44 PM
Peter Gottlieb

They will eventually end up on eBay. I suspect the problems are
installation related as the factory says both units are working perfectly.
When the panel is redone all the antennas and wiring will also be replaced.

"rkane33" wrote in message
. ..
Hey,

Send me the paper weights and I will pay the postage.

I bet you won't do it.

I'll be glad to set up a Fed Ex or UPS.

Make my day, John

Switching radios on 1 antenna Nicholas J. Hirsch Home Built 16 June 14th 04 01:49 PM
Air Force radios jam garage door openers THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 May 21st 04 01:13 PM
U$ Says Prisoners Beaten With Hand-Held Radios, NOT Clock Radios! *snicker* JStONGE123 Military Aviation 1 May 11th 04 06:22 AM
Collins Radios? John Godwin Owning 6 February 16th 04 01:44 AM
Updates to Headsets, GPS, and Radios forsale George Aviation Marketplace 5 January 23rd 04 07:50 PM