Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

Old April 27th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Kadaitcha Man[_2_]

Default Should I be scared of Maxwell's interest in testicles?

"Lorrill Buyens" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:49:56 +0000 (UTC), Dread Pirate Bertie the Bunyip
, Scourge of the alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk Seas,
yo-ho-hoed:

Daedalus wrote in
m:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:37:28 -0400, Kali wrote:

In , Daedalus
said:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:19:22 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Daedalus wrote in
news:9pu314hifag2qone2bodhf7vkbtf590qko@4ax. com:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:29:05 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Daedalus wrote in
news:61p314h7nsk13qmnqdf94ch3pq56u6i24k@4a x.com:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:06:40 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip

wrote:

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
news:hZaQj.11651$3N1.4340 @newsfe17.lga:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
message
dgs wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't exceed weight limits.

You don't fly, numbnuts.

Just as he's never gone up, his testicles have never come
down.

Hell of a good point Mort, must be a lesson there......

Boggle.
Scrabble
Twister
Sorry
Stratego!
Risk!
Life!
Candyland!

Chutes and Ladders!

Pictionary!

Rickety Kate!

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine List

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

"If it is non-empirical, then it does not exist."
"DanielSan" asserting that his mind does
not exist.

Old April 27th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Lorrill Buyens

:

said:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:19:22 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip

Daedalus wrote in

dgs wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't exceed weight limits.

You don't fly, numbnuts.

Just as he's never gone up, his testicles have never come
down.

Hell of a good point Mort, must be a lesson there......

Boggle.
Scrabble
Twister
Sorry
Stratego!
Risk!
Life!

Candyland!

Chutes and Ladders!

Pictionary!

--
Lorrill Buyens
MHM: 9x1; Smeeter: #21; WSD: #3; Gutter Chix0r: #19
Alcatroll Labs; Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll Division

"dsysm, its sooooo smooth and clesr."
- Dave Hillstrom's ringing endorsement of mead, in
aav3f
Old April 27th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

WingFlaps wrote:
On Apr 17, 9:53 pm, tman inv@lid wrote:

Flown C172's for quite a while, and never had anybody in the back.
Now I'm planning on quite a trip, with 2 pax and luggage.

When I fill the fuel to the *tabs*, calc everyone's weight honestly and
consider baggage -- I'm 75 lbs over the 2450 gross on departure. Maybe
100 over gross if I assume a "lie about weight" factor or some
inaccuracy with filling the tanks. Now I'm scratching my head about
just how risky this is. I know (others) have pushed over gross in these
planes way more under worse conditions, and have almost always gotten
away with it. I'm inclined to just do it, and be cognizant that it will
perform differently, i.e. don't expect the same picture on climbout that
you would when solo.

Hang on a moment 2 pax and baggage and you are over a 2450 172 MTOW?
I've done a few miles with 2 PAX and never had a weight problem.

How much baggage are they bringing?
How much do they weigh?

Cheers

Well, not that I have ever actually known anyone who has flown overgross
:-), but I have heard that very often they will fly just fine. I would
be concerned about CG, make sure you know your plane very well. BTW if
you offer to meet some folks from Usenet to fly to some fly-in make sure
you ask how much they weigh before the event. Imagine someone's surprise
when TWO LARGE individuals show up to catch a ride to a fly-in.

Margy
Old April 27th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

gliderguynj wrote:
So how is the conversation going to go?...Listen, I've never flown
with passengers in the back before. The plane is also over the legal
limit, but I think the numbers aren't too bad. Unless of course you
really aren't the 200lb you claim and are more like 225lbs.... and
the luggage is heavier than we think. Maybe I should use a scale and
actually see what the weight being put in the plane really
is....Nah,,,,but anyway, I posted it online, and everyone said we
should be OK because those funny engineers put in a fudge factor, so
the numbers listed don't really need to be followed.....

It's not like Burt Rutan is flying his buddies to the Hilton Ranch...

With all due respect to the original poster, I'd really reconsider
this outing as planned....

For a really long time our ritual before OSH was to get the bathroom
scale out and put it in the living room. We would then weigh and record
each piece of baggage we were taking with us and carefully calculate
where everything went. Now we know, tent goes on the floor behind the
front seats, heavy suitcases become the "passengers" on the back seat
(still weigh a lot less than a person), case of wine, pillows, sleeping
bags and aluminum chairs in the baggage compartment (no fuel in baggage
tank). We are under gross, within WB and can usually see out the back
window :-)

If I was taking something very different or flying a different plane,
the scale would come out again.

Margy
Old April 27th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
mariposas rand mair fheal

dgs wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't exceed weight limits.

You don't fly, numbnuts.

Just as he's never gone up, his testicles have never come
down.

Hell of a good point Mort, must be a lesson there......

Boggle.
Scrabble
Twister
Sorry
Stratego!
Risk!
Life!
Candyland!

Chutes and Ladders!

Pictionary!

silver hammer

arf meow arf - everything thing i know i learned
from the collective unconscience of odd bodkins
sacramento - political pigsty of the western world
or a babys arm holding an apple
Old April 27th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Blanche wrote:
Michael wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:54 pm, WingFlaps wrote:

Are you saying you don't do a MAUW test flight in your training?

That is exactly what he is saying. It's also pretty normal these days
to get a license in a 4-seater (Skyhawk or Warrior) without ever
having anyone in the back seat or coming anywhere near gross weight.

Midway thru the PPL my CFI took me out on a hot afternoon with full
tanks and someone in the back (C172). All we did was pattern work to
"illustrate" weight, density altitude and me being miserable in a
greenhouse aircraft.

One of the best lessons of my life!

Yeah, we used to be "ballast" for my instructor showing other folks what
"real life" was all about. He wouldn't sign anyone off until they had
some "minimal vis" (i.e. elementary scud running), horrific crosswinds,
Max gross wieght, etc. He said "the first thing PPL's do is take 3 of
thier buddies out for a flight and screw it in". He was a bit over the
top, but that initial, excellent training has saved my butt a few times.

Margy
Old April 27th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Blanche wrote:
Michael wrote:

[...]

One of my instructors did a lot of that as well--although he didn't
verbalize it quite so colorfully.

Actually, if he also fully briefed and debriefed each flight for all
present, including the "ballast" observers, it would have created a
dramatically more efficient learning experience. My instructor didn't rise
to quite that level; but I have heard that there are/were schools where they
do--at least at the corporate jet level and above.

Peter

Old April 27th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Apr 18, 12:21 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
That video has nothing to do with the OP's question. Clearly you are
just trolling.

The aircraft was overweight, and everyone on board died in the crash that
resulted from that.

I knew that people would argue with me just because I'm the one who made the
point. Thank goodness I don't have to fly with people like that in the
pilot's seat. That kind of "rules don't count" attitude is one of the danger
signs for pilot safety.

Well well.
The header is for and we've been discussing -Cessna 172's-
Lo and behold your claim for an overloaded aircraft is wrong.
The aircraft is a C182 on a medical evacuation
For your information Anthony a C182 is also a 4 seater but with a
useful load of over 1000lbs
And there is no way from that video that the aircraft is anywhere near
overloaded.
The pilot got onto the backside of the power curve and couldn't
recover...
Next time check your claim for factual content before posting eh

Old April 27th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

The header is for and we've been discussing -Cessna 172's-
Lo and behold your claim for an overloaded aircraft is wrong.
The aircraft is a C182 on a medical evacuation

All aircraft present similar risks when overweight.

For your information Anthony a C182 is also a 4 seater but with a
useful load of over 1000lbs
And there is no way from that video that the aircraft is anywhere near
overloaded.

Did you see all the equipment in the aircraft?

Next time check your claim for factual content before posting eh

What was your source for this incident?
Old April 27th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

george writes:

The header is for and we've been discussing -Cessna 172's-
Lo and behold your claim for an overloaded aircraft is wrong.
The aircraft is a C182 on a medical evacuation

All aircraft present similar risks when overweight.

For your information Anthony a C182 is also a 4 seater but with a
useful load of over 1000lbs
And there is no way from that video that the aircraft is anywhere

near
overloaded.

Did you see all the equipment in the aircraft?

Next time check your claim for factual content before posting eh

What was your source for this incident?

What's your's fjuuuktard?

Bertie

My wife getting scared Paul Tomblin Piloting 271 October 11th 07 08:19 PM
Scared of mid-airs Frode Berg Piloting 355 August 20th 06 05:27 PM
UBL wants a truce - he's scared of the CIA UAV John Doe Aviation Marketplace 1 January 19th 06 08:58 PM
Max gross weight Chris Piloting 21 October 5th 04 08:22 PM
Scared and trigger-happy John Galt Military Aviation 5 January 31st 04 12:11 AM