Pre Takeoff Checklists

Old March 23rd 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Pre Takeoff Checklists

Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. I'm
curious what you use and WHY? What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.
Old March 23rd 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 23, 8:20*am, Tony wrote:
Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. *Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. *I'm
curious what you use and WHY? *What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.

Ditto the checklist you use, mostly due to law of primacy.

Frank Whiteley
Old March 23rd 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Mar 23, 7:24*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Mar 23, 8:20*am, Tony wrote:

Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. *Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. *I'm
curious what you use and WHY? *What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.

Ditto the checklist you use, mostly due to law of primacy.

Frank Whiteley

I don't know CBSIFTCB. I use

A ltimiter
B elts
B allast
C ontrols
C anopy
C able
D ivebrakes
D irection (wind)
E mergency plan

... and for landing:

F laps
U ndercarriage
S peed
T rim
A irbrakes
L ook
L and
Old March 23rd 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nine Bravo Ground

Good lists.

The only things I've forgotten multiple times a

Drinking water (sitting on the hose)
Oxygen (main valve closed)
Sunglasses (left in the car)

They won't cause an accident - but the first two require coming back
to land.

9B

Old March 23rd 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 23, 8:20*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

S traps
I nstruments
F laps
T rim
C anopy
B rakes

W ater
U ndercarriage
L loose items
F laps
S peed
T rim
A irbrakes
L ook
L and

as the eventual migration from USTALL in the late '70's. Some of the
liturgy of soaring.
Old March 23rd 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nine Bravo Ground

On Mar 23, 8:20*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

Does "Land" mean anything beyond the obvious?

9B
Old March 23rd 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_9_]

The ABC pre-takeoff checklist came from Schweizer gliders that had the
list posted on the instrument panel.

I remember a CFI revalidation course I presented some years ago, where
I asked the 80 CFIs to write the list on a piece of paper. Doris
checked the results. Not a single instructor got the list correct.

This indicates one of the primary problems: Pilots are not trained to
memorize the list so it can be used in gliders without a posted
checklist.

Our ASK-13 has a factory supplied pre-takeoff checklist with two
items: Close and lock canopy, close and lock dive brakes.

My recent ten-year accident summary indicates 50% of glider fatalities
occurred during the first few seconds of flight, so performing an
adequate pre-takeoff checklist is an important ingredient to flight
safety.

The most common pre-takeoff checklist (English language) is CB-SIFT-
CB.

Most of us have added some letters to this list, inserting a W for
“Wind,”
And an all-important E for “Emergency plan.” This results in the
recommended, CB-SWIFT-CBE. Arguably, this can be considered the basic
universal per-takeoff checklist.

The reality is this checklist is not universally adequate, because our
gliders may have some complexity needing to be checked before takeoff.
The factory-supplied checklist must be used, and takes precedence over
a memorized checklist in case of some important item unique to that
glider.

In addition, there may be items important to check such as the flight
computer, data logger, etc.

My written pre-takeoff checklist is rather extensive (Duo Discus) and
includes the factory items plus essential items like removing my
wallet from my back pocket and unzipping my fly.

For more information about this subject, you might consider a booklet
titled , “Preventing Glider Accidents” or a DVD titled, “Preventing
Launching Accidents” available on our web site: WWW.EGLIDER.ORG

The DVD is especially suited for club safety meetings using a laptop
and projector.

Tom Knauff

Old March 23rd 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

I am a big believer in written checklists. There's a big reason the
airlines don't use memorized acronyms.

Mike Schumann

--
Mike Schumann
Old March 23rd 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_3_]

On Mar 23, 11:51*am, Mike Schumann
wrote:
I am a big believer in written checklists. *There's a big reason the
airlines don't use memorized acronyms.

Big ditto.

I also have a *written* "leave the house" checklist and a "written"
post-assembly checklist.

RD ( stands for Regards, -Doug ) ;-)
Old March 23rd 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 3/23/2010 9:12 AM, Doug Hoffman wrote:
On Mar 23, 11:51 am, Mike
wrote:
I am a big believer in written checklists. There's a big reason the
airlines don't use memorized acronyms.

Big ditto.

I also have a *written* "leave the house" checklist and a "written"
post-assembly checklist.

RD ( stands for Regards, -Doug ) ;-)

Exactly. There isn't a chance I could remember a memorized checklist.

Do any pilots other than glider pilots use memorized checklists?

checklists Private Piloting 5 February 6th 08 12:48 PM
Head wind takeoff into rising hills, or crosswind takeoff to open space ?? P S Piloting 7 September 20th 07 07:29 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. Nyal Williams Soaring 28 January 28th 06 03:30 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. keithw Soaring 0 January 26th 06 02:54 AM
maintenance checklists tony roberts Owning 2 January 25th 05 10:59 PM