A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WGC2012 Uvalde Scoring

Old August 14th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley
external usenet poster

Default WGC2012 Uvalde Scoring

I am just wondering what the closer details of the following are
in the Scoring 18m Class Day 8
RB is scored at 35.9km due to Hazardous Maneuvre. Must have been
serious??

Old August 14th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN
external usenet poster

Would appreciate a tip on where you are finding the results.
The "Official" site is showing "Warning: Number of competition pilots
launched is zero "
Thanks
Old August 14th 12, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 14 August 2012 08:01:54 UTC-5, Muttley wrote:

serious??

I encourage you to down load the flight log and perform the analysis.

Ron Gleason
Old August 14th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Aug 14, 10:05*am, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 August 2012 08:01:54 UTC-5, Muttley *wrote:

serious??

I encourage you to down load the flight log and perform the analysis.

Ron Gleason

I see a 500' zoomie.
Old August 14th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

On 08/14/2012 9:45 AM, RN wrote:
Would appreciate a tip on where you are finding the results.
The "Official" site is showing "Warning: Number of competition pilots
launched is zero "
Thanks

The scores are posted on Naviter's Soaring Spot web page

http://soaringspot.com/wgc20112/results/

Cheers,
Luke Szczepaniak
Old August 14th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]
external usenet poster

Evan says:

I see a 500' zoomie.

What is a "zoomie" and what's so bad about it?
Old August 14th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobD
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:26:02 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote:
Evan says:

I see a 500' zoomie.

What is a "zoomie" and what's so bad about it?

I'm assuming he finished 500' below the finish cylinder edge and zoomed up to kill speed and gain altitude for getting to the pattern. In previous tasks they've declared a 15k cylinder with a 3,000ft minimum altitude base. They do this because weather had forecasted a gust front from approaching T-storms to the north of Uvalde. They want to give the pilot the option to get a valid finish then break off a glide to the airport should the gusts get strong. The breakoff would then be a decision to landout or go to another air strip. Hitting the 15k cylinder and keeping yourself at 3,000agl+ is tricky as most have never done final glides to a target like that. The "zoomie" is dangerous at any finish cylinder because you're zooming up at what might be the majority of gliders finishing above the floor limit. Hence the penalty points.
Old August 14th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:51:22 PM UTC-5, BobD wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:26:02 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote: Evan says: I see a 500' zoomie. What is a "zoomie" and what's so bad about it? I'm assuming he finished 500' below the finish cylinder edge and zoomed up to kill speed and gain altitude for getting to the pattern. In previous tasks they've declared a 15k cylinder with a 3,000ft minimum altitude base. They do this because weather had forecasted a gust front from approaching T-storms to the north of Uvalde. They want to give the pilot the option to get a valid finish then break off a glide to the airport should the gusts get strong. The breakoff would then be a decision to landout or go to another air strip. Hitting the 15k cylinder and keeping yourself at 3,000agl+ is tricky as most have never done final glides to a target like that.. The "zoomie" is dangerous at any finish cylinder because you're zooming up at what might be the majority of gliders finishing above the floor limit. Hence the penalty points.

the dangerous action was at 15:24, about 14 minutes after he started.
Old August 14th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobD
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:57:31 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:51:22 PM UTC-5, BobD wrote:

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:26:02 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote: Evan says: I see a 500' zoomie. What is a "zoomie" and what's so bad about it? I'm assuming he finished 500' below the finish cylinder edge and zoomed up to kill speed and gain altitude for getting to the pattern. In previous tasks they've declared a 15k cylinder with a 3,000ft minimum altitude base. They do this because weather had forecasted a gust front from approaching T-storms to the north of Uvalde. They want to give the pilot the option to get a valid finish then break off a glide to the airport should the gusts get strong. The breakoff would then be a decision to landout or go to another air strip. Hitting the 15k cylinder and keeping yourself at 3,000agl+ is tricky as most have never done final glides to a target like that. The "zoomie" is dangerous at any finish cylinder because you're zooming up at what might be the majority of gliders finishing above the floor limit. Hence the penalty points.

the dangerous action was at 15:24, about 14 minutes after he started.

They of course will penalize the low finish zoom up. But maybe they're looking at files and if they determine a serious zoom up into a thermal--and someone cries foul for a near miss, then maybe they tag that. I dunno beyond that.
Old August 14th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:57:31 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:51:22 PM UTC-5, BobD wrote: On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:26:02 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote: Evan says: I see a 500' zoomie. What is a "zoomie" and what's so bad about it? I'm assuming he finished 500' below the finish cylinder edge and zoomed up to kill speed and gain altitude for getting to the pattern. In previous tasks they've declared a 15k cylinder with a 3,000ft minimum altitude base. They do this because weather had forecasted a gust front from approaching T-storms to the north of Uvalde. They want to give the pilot the option to get a valid finish then break off a glide to the airport should the gusts get strong. The breakoff would then be a decision to landout or go to another air strip. Hitting the 15k cylinder and keeping yourself at 3,000agl+ is tricky as most have never done final glides to a target like that. The "zoomie" is dangerous at any finish cylinder because you're zooming up at what might be the majority of gliders finishing above the floor limit. Hence the penalty points. the dangerous action was at 15:24, about 14 minutes after he started.

This is consistent with a very agressive pull up into a thermal, likely occupied by a gaggle, and triggering a safety complaint, followed by appropriate invesygation and review.
Speculation on my part.
Bet this calms things down quick
UH