Military Flight Training

Old July 8th 04, 11:57 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Military Flight Training

If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in the
airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a single
engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation? Is this valid
for civilian flying after discharge?
Old July 8th 04, 01:55 PM
Bob Moore

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote

If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in
the airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a
single engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation?
Is this valid for civilian flying after discharge?

Not automatically, one must present log books at an FAA office
and take the "Military Competency" examination, an FAR test of
about 25 questions. I received my Commercial ASMEL-Instrument
certificate via that route. See FAR 61.73 for more details.

Bob Moore
Old July 8th 04, 02:52 PM
Jim Baker

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote

If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in
the airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a
single engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation?
Is this valid for civilian flying after discharge?

Not automatically, one must present log books at an FAA office
and take the "Military Competency" examination, an FAR test of
about 25 questions. I received my Commercial ASMEL-Instrument
certificate via that route. See FAR 61.73 for more details.

Bob Moore

We didn't need to present any logbooks, and there were 65 of us in my class,
so the FAA came to us and gave us the test on base. I'm guessing the FAA
approved our "logbooks" as a result of the USAF showing them our AF records.
However, we didn't get any single engine tickets since we didn't fly a
single engine aircraft in the USAF UPT I went through. Our pilot/instrument
check was in a T-38 so we took the Commercial AMEL written competency exam
and received a Comm/AMEL -Restricted to Centerline Thrust ticket. Later, I
went back to the local FBO and did some flying in a C-150 and took a Private
ASEL test and flight check for that ticket. Still later, I had to take a
checkride in an Apache to get the center line thrust restriction removed
from the Comm/AMEL ticket. Thank goodness for the GI Bill.

JB

Old July 8th 04, 06:21 PM
Robert M. Gary

Its another step. Some guys don't bother and then lose out when they
get out. There is a limited number of years you have to request an FAA
certificate based on your military. If you don't do it in those years,
you have to do the whole checkride. In anycase, I think you have to
still take the FAA writen.

-Robert

Old July 8th 04, 06:33 PM
Tim Witt

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message ...
If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in the
airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a single
engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation? Is this valid
for civilian flying after discharge?

No, its not "automatic". An active military pilot has to take a
written test in order to be awarded an equivalent civilian license.
Typically, a newly rated military pilot out of pilot training (USAF)
can take a written FAA test and get a multi-engine commercial license
with instrument rating.
Tim
Old July 9th 04, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in the
airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a single
engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation? Is this valid
for civilian flying after discharge?

I think you have to ask for the ticket. If you do a search for George
W. Bush on the FAA site, you will find that he holds a civilian pilot
certificate, but his medical is not current, and his address is
unknown (!).

Wasn't there just recently a post here by an ex-mil pilot who held a
twin-engine rating but not single engine?

Any certificate is valid, once granted. It's the medical you have to
renew. (BFR, etc.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 9th 04, 11:38 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Cub Driver wrote:

If one learns how to fly single engine and multi engine aircraft in the
airforce at a military flight school, does one automatically get a single
engine, multi engine and commercial license upon graduation? Is this
valid for civilian flying after discharge?

I think you have to ask for the ticket. If you do a search for George
W. Bush on the FAA site, you will find that he holds a civilian pilot
certificate, but his medical is not current, and his address is
unknown (!).

According to the link below:

http://www.seanet.com/~johnco/bush102.htm

Bush's last physical was in May 1971. He refused to take his next scheduled
physical and was grounded and never flew again in the Air National Guard.

Apparently Bush kept flying after his discharge from the Air National Guard.
If you go about 2/3 of the way down on the link above, it talks about Bush
taking Don Evans of Midland (I assume this is the same Don Evans who is now
Commerce Secretary) up for a spin.

Apparently the ride scared the hell out of both of them. From the
information on the FAA database, it appears that Bush was not current in
his phyisical and form the description of the 1976 piloting, it is apparent
Bush did not have recency of experience.

There is a lot about Bush's flying career that is unknown.

Old July 9th 04, 03:26 PM
Matt Young

Part of me wants to become president and stay current flying, just to
have ATC call a C172 "Air Force One"

Old July 9th 04, 07:01 PM
Casey Webster

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Wasn't there just recently a post here by an ex-mil pilot who held a
twin-engine rating but not single engine?

a lot of USAF UPT grads will have never flown a single engine
airplane, and when they go to the FSDO for thier tickets they get a
commercial multi+instrument, typically limited to centerline thrust
(no single engine rating). Most of the guys i've talked to just leave
it at that until they retire or go to get thier ATP. If they ever get
checked out in a non-CLT aircraft in the military they can go get the
FSDO to take the restriction off thier ticket, and they can get type
ratings added to it based on thier military experience (only useful if
they are flying the airframes with civil counterparts). When they are
done with thier ATP ride, thier ticket is just Airline Transport Pilot
- Airplane Multi-engine Land, and they wont have single privledges
unless they get military experience in one or take an FAA ride.