A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PowerFlarm Update for the Seniors Contest in Florida

Old February 24th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm Update for the Seniors Contest in Florida

This question was asked about the 2015 Senior Soaring Championships

There is a contest in the early part of March Seniors in Florida approx. 65 glider

If the new update is out will there be a problem if some have the update and some don't.

Flarm Response:

Yes, you are correct, that would be a problem. Devices with the old firmware cannot communicate with the new firmware. From the next firmware release, we will make sure that the protocol changes automatically at the changeover date. Unfortunately that was not possible for this update.

For this contest, I would recommend that nobody updates their devices until after the contest.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 24th 15, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:08:12 AM UTC-8, Richard wrote:

There is a contest in the early part of March Seniors in Florida approx.. 65 glider

If the new update is out will there be a problem if some have the update and some don't.

Flarm Response:

Yes, you are correct, that would be a problem. Devices with the old firmware cannot communicate with the new firmware. From the next firmware release, we will make sure that the protocol changes automatically at the changeover date. Unfortunately that was not possible for this update.

For this contest, I would recommend that nobody updates their devices until after the contest.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

So in the immortal words of Tom Lehrer, "We Will All Go Together When We Go". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

If you don't get this, you don't belong in the Seniors ;-)

Craig
7Q
Old February 25th 15, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 10:08:12 AM UTC-5, Richard wrote:

There is a contest in the early part of March Seniors in Florida approx.. 65 glider

Flarm Response:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Every Hotentot and every Eskimo...
Old February 25th 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:26:03 PM UTC-5, Charlie Papa wrote:

There is a contest in the early part of March Seniors in Florida approx. 65 glider

Flarm Response:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Or.... pcool......
Old February 25th 15, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:29:06 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Flarm Response:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Or.... pcool......

Charlie Papa: making racial remarks is not OK and definitely not funny.
I predict there will be more than one contestant showing up at the Seniors with an updated PFlarm. What then, you can't un-ring that bell. But wait, that's really not a problem. The update takes around 5, at most 10 minutes. All you have to do is insert the memory stick with the correct file into the rectum of your unit, turn it on and wait. Why are we making such noise about it?
Herb
Old February 25th 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin
external usenet poster

How did we all do before Flarm was developed?
Old February 25th 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 6:04:41 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Herb clearly needs to listen to some Tom Lehrer
Old February 25th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 6:04:41 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:29:06 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Flarm Response:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Or.... pcool......

I predict there will be more than one contestant showing up at the Seniors with an updated PFlarm. What then, you can't un-ring that bell. But wait, that's really not a problem. The update takes around 5, at most 10 minutes. All you have to do is insert the memory stick with the correct file into the rectum of your unit, turn it on and wait. Why are we making such noise about it?
Herb

I hear Al Sharpton may be looking for work, perhaps he can moderate R.A.S ?

Brad
Old February 25th 15, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

Herb, are you too young to remember Tom Lehrer?

If so, what are you doing reading a post about the Seniors?

Watch the video and find the this is the next line in the lyrics about a post-apocalyptic radioactive future.

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 9:04:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Flarm Response:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Or.... pcool......

Herb

Old February 25th 15, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 9:52:03 AM UTC-8, Charlie Papa wrote:

Watch the video and find the this is the next line in the lyrics about a post-apocalyptic radioactive future.

I suspect I'm one of the few here (at least from outside South Africa) who actually knew what the word meant without looking it up, and while that's one I've never been called (I did get called kaff*r in London, once), I know where Herb was coming from. Context is everything, Lehrer was consciously (but satirically) being offensive back then, it's interesting how what is offensive about his songs has shifted in the intervening 50 years...

Marc