FAA regulates competition

Old November 18th 05, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default FAA regulates competition

A Dr friend of mine mentioned that he tried to apply as an AME with the
local FSDO and was told "we already have enough AME's go away". As a
capitalist, that really bothered me. Under what authority does the FAA
regulate the supply of AMEs? Certainly we can all understand that the
FAA must put requirements of AMEs (probably be licensed to practice
medicine, maybe take an FAA test or attend a seminar etc) but why do
they regulate the number? This may contribute to some areas having more
expensive medicals than other areas.
I've wondered the same question about DEs. Why doesn't the FAA allow
anyone who meets a very, very strict set of standards be a DE? Why do
you have to wait for a DE to die before the FAA will give you
authority? I just have visions of the Central Communist Committee
trying to figure out how much bread and milk to produce and what price
to sell it at. Regulating supply of resources doesn't seem to be in the
interest of pilots, safety, or anything else other than giving some
people pricing advantage.

-Robert

Old November 18th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A Dr friend of mine mentioned that he tried to apply as an AME with the
local FSDO and was told "we already have enough AME's go away".

Same thing recently happened here, AFTER we lost two local AME's to
retirement. It made us question whether or not the retiring AME's notified
the FSDO that they were no longer active. Does anybody in the group know
how the FSDO or FAA keeps track of active/non-active AME's?

Jim

Old November 18th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It's the FAA, nuff said.

Old November 18th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

They do the same thing with DMEs. My neighbor was ****ed he had to go
to Texas or Colorado to take his O&P test. The bottom line is Congress
delegates excessive authority to unelected bureaucracies and refuses to
clean up their messes using the typical excuse it would be
"micromanaging".

Old November 18th 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
They do the same thing with DMEs. My neighbor was ****ed he had to go
to Texas or Colorado to take his O&P test. The bottom line is Congress
delegates excessive authority to unelected bureaucracies and refuses to
clean up their messes using the typical excuse it would be
"micromanaging".

Like a bureaucracy itself isn't micromanaging?

Old November 18th 05, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 18 Nov 2005 12:24:34 -0800, "Michael"
wrote in
.com::

Just accept that the FAA is your enemy, and will do
whatever it can to make flying more expensive and less fun.

What experiences have you had that caused you to form such a cynical
opinion of the FAA?
Old November 19th 05, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Under what authority does the FAA regulate the supply of AMEs?

Because they can.

Look, the sooner you realize the FAA is evil incarnate, the easier it
will be for you. Just accept that the FAA is your enemy, and will do
whatever it can to make flying more expensive and less fun. Once you
accept that, everything gets easier. You stop worrying about what is
legal, and focus on the only important question - what can you get away
with.

Michael

FAA is not that bad! I have never had a problem with them & they can be very
helpful when you have questions.

Old November 19th 05, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I too, have found the Nashville FSDO to be helpful, resourceful and eager to
provide & promote safety and education.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old November 19th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

[...]

The FAA is required by law to ensure that the pilots are medically fit to fly. There are not enough FAA employees who
are qualified to do these medical checks, so they delegate that function to qualified private individuals.The FAA then
has to oversee these AMEs. There are only so many 'slots' that can be watched within budget constraints, etc.

Old November 19th 05, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"NW_PILOT" wrote:

FAA is not that bad! I have never had a problem with them & they can
be very
helpful when you have questions.

No doubt. But the fact is that the FAA has virtually unchecked power
over your aviation activities and enforcess arcane, often nonsensical
regulatons according to the whims of non-accountable bureaucrats. If
you do not treat such an organization as a danger to be avoided, you are
simply asking for trouble.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM