Micro Air transmission-garbled

Old June 5th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Micro Air transmission-garbled

We installed a new Micro Air in a sailplane. This is the 5th one we
have installed. All have worked great except this last one receives
perfectly, but when transmitting it sounds garbled. The boom mic is a
Micro Air. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks

Kurt

Old June 5th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Do you have enough power delivered to the radio?

There are two privately owned ships in our club with
Microair's. Mine is one. Sometimes, my transmissions
were garbled, so I was told. Also, the other ship's
transmissions were garbled. Both of us had our panels
rewired by a professional avionics shop ('Sparkchasers'
located at KJNX, Johnston County Airport, North Carolina,
USA). Since doing so, I have not heard of any complaints
about my transmissions and my friend's transmissions
from his Microair are nice and clear now.

BUT, that's not all of the story. Our two club ships
had Microairs. 'Had' is the operative word here.
I think each radio was sent back to Oz once and maybe
twice. While not 'professionally' wired, the ships
were 'competently' wired (as opposed to mine, that
was originally wired by me....bad mistake!) It just
seems that some Microairs work and some, well, maybe
don't.

I'm currently happy with mine.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old June 5th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
1sl

Mine had the same problem when first installed. There was too great a
voltage drop using the old wiring through the glider's master power
switch. Once I bypassed this switch, the unit worked very well. Of
course, I didn't discover this until I had rewired the unit a second
time, thinking I must have made some mistake on the first attempt.

Old June 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I think the previous respnders got it right. The Microair is not tolerant
of low voltage nor mis-set mike gain. Mine came with the mike gain set for
an airplane which had to be increased for a quiet glider cockpit. Mine
garbles at about 11.5V.

This is not to say that there might not be other problems with your radio
but it's a place to start.

Bill Daniels

"Michael Ash" wrote in message
We installed a new Micro Air in a sailplane. This is the 5th one we
have installed. All have worked great except this last one receives
perfectly, but when transmitting it sounds garbled. The boom mic is a
Micro Air. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

You might try adjusting the mic gain. If it's like the one I was working
with last week there's a mic gain adjustment under a sticky label on the
side. If it's turned up too high then there can be problems with garbled
transmissions and feedback.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software

Old June 5th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44

On Jun 4, 7:37 pm, wrote:
We installed a new Micro Air in a sailplane. This is the 5th one we
have installed. All have worked great except this last one receives
perfectly, but when transmitting it sounds garbled. The boom mic is a
Micro Air. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks

Kurt

One other possibility is a bad microphone. I bought an XCOM and the
boom mic which is the same microphone as Microair where the core of
the microphone was bad. No amount of adjusting the gain or any other
normal adjustments woud fix it. The XCOM engineers and Paul Remde at
Cumulus Soaring sorted it out and replaced it with a new one and the
problem was solved. They also grounded the shield of the microphone
cable right at the mount and at the radio end which helped with the
"noise" level in the line.

Tom

Old June 6th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 5, 9:42 am, Discus 44 wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:37 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thnaks for all the advice!

Kurt

Old June 17th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rhumcat

I have just received my Microair 760 back from repair by Rick Lord at
Erie Aviation. It too had garbled transmissions. Had the opportunity
to use it on Saturday and the reviews are in. "It sounds like you are
in a radio studio." "The transmission has fidelity! More base
response than an AM radio." "Loud AND clear."
Apparently it had a faulty ground and poor FM shielding. I have no
idea what that means but Rick Lord is a radio wizard and the fix was
inexpensive with a turn-around time of less than a week. ( I also
replaced the original electret mic with an Amplified Dynamic mic. I
thought I try that before sending the unit in but it didn't help the
garbling. It probably helps with the "fidelity").
My 2 Cents
Gene

Subaru flywheel pto without transmission [email protected] Home Built 2 November 26th 05 08:00 AM
Transmission design? Otto Gyro Rotorcraft 1 November 7th 03 04:41 PM
Need Micro Balancer Jim Home Built 57 August 26th 03 01:34 AM
Need Micro Balancer Jim Aviation Marketplace 39 August 26th 03 01:34 AM
Micro-Balancer, for Jim Kevin O'Brien Home Built 3 August 17th 03 06:59 AM