Turbo prop question

Old April 25th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Default Turbo prop question

I was channel surfing the other day and caught the tail end of some show
about rich people and their planes. Anyway the pilot of this one single
engine turbo prop said there was no mechanical connection between the
prop and engine. How can that be?

I didn't catch the name of the plane. but as I remember, there were 4
seats in the passenger area, and it was pretty roomy. The only other
distinctive thing I can remember is it had a fairly large cargo door
with a power assist to close it because it was so far over head when it
was open.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com
Old April 25th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Chris W wrote in news:74gQj.67968$y05.19485
@newsfe22.lga:

I was channel surfing the other day and caught the tail end of some

show
about rich people and their planes. Anyway the pilot of this one

single
engine turbo prop said there was no mechanical connection between the
prop and engine. How can that be?

I didn't catch the name of the plane. but as I remember, there were 4
seats in the passenger area, and it was pretty roomy. The only other
distinctive thing I can remember is it had a fairly large cargo door
with a power assist to close it because it was so far over head when

it
was open.

It's a free turbine. Most modern turboprops use that system. There's a
seperate turbine that runs the prop geabox. He's technically incorrect
since that turbine is part of the engine...

Bertie
Old April 25th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Rich people. More money than brains.
Old April 25th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 25 Apr, 11:53, Frank Olson
wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Chris W wrote in news:74gQj.67968$y05.19485
@newsfe22.lga:

I was channel surfing the other day and caught the tail end of some

show
about rich people and their planes. *Anyway the pilot of this one

single
engine turbo prop said there was no mechanical connection between the
prop and engine. *How can that be?

It's a free turbine. Most modern turboprops use that system. There's a
seperate turbine that runs the prop geabox. He's technically incorrect
since that turbine is part of the engine...

Bertie

Rich people. *More money than brains.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not in disagreement with Bertie, wouldn't dare, but it
"could be" electric drive, hydraulic drive.

These are used in other vehicles. Most cars in the US
use an automatic transmission that includes a
torque convertor for example.

I am sure that it is in this case a free turbine - gas drive -
that connects to a propellor - gas-gas drive.

http://www.gasgas.com/index.shtml

http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-1...c-transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel-electric

http://www.fpweb.com/200/FPE/Hydraul...450/Hydraulics
Old April 25th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Frank Olson wrote in

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Well, what he maenas is the prop isn;t connected to the main drive of
the engine. You can actually stop the prop on a free turbine while the
engine is running and it will run just fine. He's not wrong but he's not
right if you know what I mean.

Bertie
Old April 25th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in news:de5298d4-778b-475f-9321-
:

On 25 Apr, 11:53, Frank Olson
wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Nah, not on a turbine.

These are used in other vehicles. Most cars in the US
use an automatic transmission that includes a
torque convertor for example.

I am sure that it is in this case a free turbine - gas drive -
that connects to a propellor - gas-gas drive.

http://www.gasgas.com/index.shtml

Yeah, almost all modern turboprops use this system. Some of the older
ones, like the RR Dart or the Allisons were gear driven off the main
turbine, but this is all but abandoned these days. In fact, even "jets"
are really just ducted fan turboprops with the fan driven by a turbine
in the exhaust.

Bertie
Old April 25th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

.. .

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Wannnboi, you don't know what you maena.

Old April 25th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:%5kQj.67977$y05.64004
@newsfe22.lga:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

snort!

Bertie
Old April 25th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 25, 3:26*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Frank Olson wrote innews:0ShQj.90501$rd2.26964@pd7urf3no:

He's not wrong but he's not
right if you know what I mean.

Yes, we all lived through the Clinton years, we know that it depends
on the definition of "it" and not wrong but not right, etc.

-Robert

Old April 25th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Apr 25, 3:26*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Frank Olson wrote
innews:0ShQ

j.90501$rd2.26964@pd7urf3no:

He's not wrong but he's not
right if you know what I mean.

Yes, we all lived through the Clinton years, we know that it depends
on the definition of "it" and not wrong but not right, etc.

Em, ok, not quite the same thing...

You would think that if you could grasp that subtlety, though, you'd
have sussed out the more recent string of lies...

Bertie

Bertie

turbo prop first officer needed pcj Piloting 0 October 27th 04 05:13 AM
turbo prop first officer needed pcj Piloting 2 October 27th 04 05:07 AM
Turbo prop AT-6/SNJ? frank may Military Aviation 11 September 5th 04 02:51 PM
Piston V.S Turbo Prop Vigo Owning 10 July 2nd 04 06:15 PM
A36 Bonanza turbo prop Jeff Owning 46 January 7th 04 03:37 PM