I intend to buy a handheld.

Old July 20th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
almostthere[_1_]

Default I intend to buy a handheld.

Just got my ticket and I plan to purchase a handheld Nav-Comm for back-up
but it is said that they're useless at altitude without an external antenna
connection. What connector do I use (BNC?) and how do I go about doing this
on rented C172s? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old July 20th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article t,
"almostthere" wrote:

Just got my ticket and I plan to purchase a handheld Nav-Comm for back-up
but it is said that they're useless at altitude without an external antenna
connection. What connector do I use (BNC?) and how do I go about doing this
on rented C172s? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tthe connectors on the patch cord from the radio to the external antenna
will depend on what radio you purchase. Not all radios have BNC
connectors.
Old July 20th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The rubber ducky antenna will work at altitude, just not as
well as an external antenna. I have used a King KX99 at
35,000 feet in King Air to talk to Center and the same King
KX 99 from a Bonanza below 3000 AGL to talk to FSS and tower
for landing clearance.

If you rent, the owner is not going to want you breaking his
antenna harness.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"john smith" wrote in message
| In article
t,

Old July 21st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

almostthere wrote:
Just got my ticket and I plan to purchase a handheld Nav-Comm for back-up
but it is said that they're useless at altitude without an external antenna
connection. What connector do I use (BNC?) and how do I go about doing this
on rented C172s? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

My handheld has been used from 6 miles out with no external antenna and
worked just fine.
Old July 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts[_1_]

2 comments for you -
1. I don't need an external antenna on my Icom A23 - it works fine -
even for homing in on elt's in Search and Rescue training.

The Nav may help in an emergency but don't expect too much from it.

Do you have a gps yet? That would be my first buy

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old July 21st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

they work great for talking.. just not so great for nav reception
get the ICOM A6(comm only) or A24(comm/nav)

BT

"john smith" wrote in message
| In article
t,

Old July 21st 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

I've stood on the ground and talked to an aircraft 20 miles away..

air to air is even better.

BT

Old July 21st 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:17:30 +0000, almostthere wrote:

Just got my ticket and I plan to purchase a handheld Nav-Comm for back-up
but it is said that they're useless at altitude without an external antenna
connection. What connector do I use (BNC?) and how do I go about doing this
on rented C172s? Any alternatives/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

My old CFI had a Sporties unit. He loved it. Even the nav function was
usable, but I don't recall the range the said. I bought one for my father
for Christmas; shortly after he got his IFR ticket. He also says it works
very well. Again, I don't remember the range but I do remember him
talking about it working fairly well in the plane; again, including the
nav feature.

Right now, it seems like the Sporties handheld is the best bang for the
buck in handheld nav/coms. And reports from two people I know, plus
others I've read here, all have good stuff to say about it.

Greg