My first solo!

Old December 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default My first solo!

Well, did my first solo on the weekend! Went up with my instructor first and
did 2
touch and go's than on the third time around he asked me to do a full stop,
and he'd get out and I could do one on my own.
"Are you happy with that?" he asked.
We landed, and taxiied off the runway and the plan was to taxi back up to
the entry point of the runway, and he'd get out. A Cessna was taxiing from
my left. We were both going to reach the taxi intersection at the same
time.
Instructor asked me who had right of way. I told him that we did. "Do you
think he's going to stop?" he asks.
"Nope!" I said.
I stopped my a/c, and the Cessna didn't even acknowledge me. Just kept
sailing through the intersection. My instructor got on the radio and made
the comment "So much for the rules of taxiing!"
"What's that supposed to mean?" came the reply.
I thinking great! I'm about to solo, and I'm about to be caught up in an
air rage incident.
My instructor politely reminded him that we had right of way.
The other guy suggested that he would have been blocking our route if he
had stopped for us, but this was based on the incorrect assumption that we
were heading back to the hangars. Anyway, nothing more was said, and we
pulled in behind him and waited for him to take off.
My instructor got out, wished me luck and began his walk back to the
office.
I made my runway entry call, and took off. Without the instructor in the
right seat, the a/c certainly got off the ground a lot quicker, and the
rate of climb was much better. Normally, I'm at about 800 feet when I'm
turning onto my downwind leg when I'm doing circuits. This time, I was at
1000 feet before turning onto downwind.
Air was fairly smooth, skies were crystal clear. The wind was a bit gusty
on my final approach, and the head wind strengthened a bit since the last
touch and go, but I was prepared for it. Needed a little extra power to
flatten the approach a little, but I ended up quite happy overall with my
performance so far. Landing was good, with only a slight balloon before
touch down. Without the instructor in the a/c she wanted to float a bit
more than I was expecting.
As I taxied to the tie down bays, my instructor was still walking back to
the office. Unfortunately he missed my landing! A few of the old timers
were watching however, and came up and congratulated me as I walked back to
the office with the hugest grin on my face. They reported to my instructor
that my landing was great.
Filled in the log book, and got the all important rubber stamp put in it.
I'm a happy chappie!
Total hours before solo: 7.0.
Total hours after solo: 7.2.
--
Oz Lander
I'm not always right,

Old December 18th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Well, did my first solo on the weekend!

Congrats! I saw this post several days ago in the flight sim group; I
thought maybe you had put r.a.piloting in the doghouse.

A new world is about to open up for you. (but you know that!)

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 18th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
Well, did my first solo on the weekend!

Congrats! I saw this post several days ago in the flight sim group; I
thought maybe you had put r.a.piloting in the doghouse.

No sir! Thought I sent it to all my usual spots, but missed here!

A new world is about to open up for you. (but you know that!)

Can't wait!
Oz Lander

Old December 18th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

"Jose" wrote in message ...
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Yes but the real question is: What are the three things that are of no use
a pilot?

David

Old December 18th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"FLAV8R" wrote in message
news
"Jose" wrote in message ...
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Yes but the real question is: What are the three things that are of no use
a pilot?

David

This has the potential for a debate nearly equal to the treadmill
question....

IMHO, runway behind you and altitude about you can occasionally be used,
although the use is severely limited.

Peter :-)

Old December 18th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

FLAV8R wrote:

"Jose" wrote in message ...

"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Yes but the real question is: What are the three things that are of no use
a pilot?

David

No, the real question is, what are the secrets to success? And the
answers a

1. Never tell all of your secrets.
2.

Matt
Old December 18th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
Congratulations.

Danny Deger

Thanks Danny.
Oz Lander

Old December 18th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CRaSH

FLAV8R wrote:
"Jose" wrote in message ...
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody
knows what they are." - (mike).

Yes but the real question is: What are the three things that are of
no use to
a pilot?

If it's the usual:
1. The runway behind you
2. The altitude above you
3. Half a second ago

BTW - congrats Crash Lander, I still remember my CFIs first words to me when
I soloed:
"Get your ass back up to pattern altitude!" d:-))

Old December 18th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"CRaSH" wrote in message
If it's the usual:
1. The runway behind you
2. The altitude above you
3. Half a second ago

BTW - congrats Crash Lander, I still remember my CFIs first words to me
when I soloed:
"Get your ass back up to pattern altitude!" d:-))

Thanks CRaSH!
I was going to say:
1. Altitude above you.
2. Hindsight.
3. That extra quart of oil back in the garage.
Oz Lander

My first solo - and the worst flight of my life Monarch Student Piloting 57 November 28th 06 07:46 AM
First Solo W P Dixon Piloting 8 August 16th 06 05:07 AM
como ganar dinero facil y rapido [email protected] Piloting 0 September 17th 05 11:32 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM