Best Pilot Watch for $100?

Old November 11th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best Pilot Watch for $100?

I purchased one of the vibrating watches from Sporty's Pilot Shop
($75). This is more likely to get my attention for fuel tank changes
(PA28) than the twin timer I was using. The timer is just barely
audible with headphones and my slight loss of hearing at higher
frequencies.

The one I purchased is a Vibralight 3 with dual time zone, 2x timer
and 2x alarms. Makes quite a good noise on a wooden bedside cabinet
when using the alarm.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:05:41 -0800, Jay Honeck
wrote:

My trusty Timex Expedition has finally died, after years of faithful
service. Although it had many features I liked, it was missing a few
things that would be nice in the plane. (Zulu time, for example.)

What's the group-think on this? What watch do you wear/recommend?

David
Old November 11th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:27:40 -0500, john smith wrote:

Put a new battery in it. :-)
I too, wear an Expedition. Mine has dual time zone capability. One is
always set to Zulu time.

Same here.

Best $15 I ever spent!
Old November 11th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

I use a Luminox.

It doesn't do a lot of pilot tricks.

It's just the only watch I've ever had where the time is easily
visible day, night or twilight.

The company does make other models that do have cluttered dials and
lots of buttons.

This is the one I have. I've been using it for six years now and I
haven't even had to change the battery.

http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?...ries/3400/3402

Old November 11th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:05:41 -0800, Jay Honeck wrote:

What's the group-think on this? What watch do you wear/recommend?

I received a considerable bit of jocular harassment from some friends for
purchasing a rather large digital watch for flying. I have an "aviation"
style analog watch that just wasn't doing anything for me.

I couldn't be happier with the digital choice... Press a button to switch
between 12 & 24 hour time, press another button once for Zulu time, a
second time for a stop watch, a third time for a programmable count down
timer (it's my fuel timer) and in a dark cockpit, press another button and
the display lights up brightly for 4 seconds.

I consider it a tool, not a fashion statement.

--
Dallas
Old November 11th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Nov 11, 7:05 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
Although it had many features I liked, it was missing a few
things that would be nice in the plane. (Zulu time, for example.)

What's the group-think on this? What watch do you wear/recommend?
--
Jay Honeck

Jay,
I wear a fake Rolex. Doesnt do much for me in the cockpit but the
women dig it.
KFB

Old November 11th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
My trusty Timex Expedition has finally died, after years of faithful
service. Although it had many features I liked, it was missing a few
things that would be nice in the plane. (Zulu time, for example.)

What's the group-think on this? What watch do you wear/recommend?

Casio W-201

$12.95 at Wal-Mart

2 time zones, stopwatch g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I too, wear an Expedition. Mine has dual time zone capability. One is
always set to Zulu time.

I really like the Expedition. However, one problem with it is that
if you set the dual time (digital) to Zulu time, the date changes in
conjunction with Zulu time. That's a PIA...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Expedition for me too. Although I do have a fancy-looking analog watch.
However, I like the version from about 4 years ago a lot better than the new
one. Try switching the times around. My recollection is that the date is
tied to Time 1. But maybe I just have never looked at the date in the
evening.

I hate the stop watch reset on the new version. The old one reset
immediately with one push. The new version requires a push and hold to
reset.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

ps.com...

Old November 11th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jay Honeck wrote in news:1194789941.276600.29240
@o38g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

My trusty Timex Expedition has finally died, after years of faithful
service. Although it had many features I liked, it was missing a few
things that would be nice in the plane. (Zulu time, for example.)

What's the group-think on this? What watch do you wear/recommend?
--

I wear a relatively cheap Seiko and leave it on GMT all the time.

At home I don't wear a watch and everyone already knows I 'm a pilot.

Bertie

Watch out for the FBI . . . Rich S.[_1_] Home Built 9 June 23rd 07 02:42 PM
Pilot watch not a real EB6 BillJosephson Piloting 12 March 18th 07 04:16 AM
TSA on the watch Roger Long Piloting 23 October 20th 04 01:46 AM
AOPA ZULU Time Pilot watch on eBay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 13th 03 06:40 PM