Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 9th 03, 01:58 AM
Margy Natalie

I don't think the yodeler is a recording and he also did a rather awful
rendition of Dixie one morning.

Margy

John Thompson wrote:

The Yodeler and the radial engine sounds are traditions, going off at
7AM. I didn't hear it every morning though, and while the yodeler (Both
are recordings actually) usually starts after the radial, I did hear it
the other way once.

John

Old August 9th 03, 02:09 AM
David O

Margy Natalie wrote:

You should have been camping in the show plane area. We heard him loud and clear.

Margy

I would like to know who the hell that idiot was, Thursday or Friday
night. who belted out songs, continually, as loud as he possibly
could, a cappella, till almost midnight. I came close to launching a
personal mission to find the inconsiderate ******* and silence him.
It sounded very much like the morning wake-up guy and it seemed to
emanate from the area bordering the southern end of the ultralight
runway where the show related RV's were parked. Then, that same night
around midnight, came the marauding teens on two John Deere
four-wheelers who road south past the ultralight field and continued
on for 1/2 mile or so before turning back north whooping and hollering
the whole way. When they got back to the ultralight area, they did
doughnuts in the road with the four-wheelers before heading back to
God knows where.

The next day, I happened upon a county sheriff sitting in his car near
the ultralight area and told him about the marauding teens. He was
surprised and asked if I knew where security was at the time. I told
him that I didn't see security come by on patrol until about 1/2 hour
after the incident. He promised, in no uncertain terms, that he would
see to it that such incidents were not repeated. They weren't.

David O -- Row 111 next to the road -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old August 9th 03, 09:02 PM
Jack Allison

Nope, didn't watch the air show up close on Wednesday. Too busy heading in
and out of vendor displays and tagging along with my brother visiting all
those RVs...man there were a lot of them. So, I guess if you average out
her singing, she might come close to ending on time (?). She'd do the
anthem much more justice if she'd just sing it and end it normally. How
many breaths did she take extending the ending on the first day? I remember
at least a couple...

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 9th 03, 09:25 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Dave Stadt" said:
Two words: hotel room.

I understand that if you want a reservation in the Super 8 on the field
there, you basically need to have the previous reservation holder leave it
to you in your will.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
If you're not part of the solution, be part of the problem!
Old August 9th 03, 10:53 PM
Jay Honeck

I understand that if you want a reservation in the Super 8 on the field
there, you basically need to have the previous reservation holder leave it
to you in your will.

Actually, I was told that on January 1st, at 6 PM, they start taking
reservations for the fly-in. First come, first served.

Of course, paying $150 per night -- with a 7 night minimum stay (for a
"Super" 8 room, of all things!) -- is insane, if you ask me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 9th 03, 11:39 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
I understand that if you want a reservation in the Super 8 on the field
there, you basically need to have the previous reservation holder leave it
to you in your will.

Actually, I was told that on January 1st, at 6 PM, they start taking
reservations for the fly-in. First come, first served.

The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
---------------- hit any user to continue ----------------
Old August 10th 03, 02:33 AM
Jay Honeck

The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

I'll bet they were sold out by 6:15 PM, depending upon how many incoming
phone lines they can handle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 10th 03, 11:07 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old August 10th 03, 11:16 PM
Morgans

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year

in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Rent a nice big RV with a generator. Find a way to go!
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 10th 03, 11:33 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.owning Morgans wrote:
Rent a nice big RV with a generator. Find a way to go!

Yea. We've considered doing that, too. That may be the way to go.

-- Jay

__!__