Twins in clubs....

Old November 25th 03, 04:25 PM
Captain Wubba

Default Twins in clubs....

Hello. I'm a member of a flying club that is in the process of
purchasing a Cessna 337 (Actually a new member is bringing it in with
his membership). The club manager wants to bring in a twin because he
thinks he can easily get 7 or 8 new members specifically for the twin.
But right now, of the dozen or so club members, only the current owner
and myself are multi rated. I'm fairly low time (Commercial Single &
Multi, Instrument, 500 hours total, 20 multi, 40 complex) and the
insurance numbers I got were somewhat shocking. One place I called
wouldn't underwrite twins at all anymore, and one other quoted me
$7400 a year for $80k hull and $500k liability.

Is anyone else here a member of a club with a twin? How do you manage
the insurance costs? Have you found any place that is more reasonable
for your insurance needs?

Needless to say, if each club member who can fly the twin has to pay
an extra $2000 a year just in insurance to fly it (probably flown an
average of 40 hours a year by each twin-qualified member, on average),
it will severely degrade interest in it.

Any ideas, or is this just a non-starter? Of the other potential club
members who would join immediately to use the twin, one has 4000 hours
multi time, one has 2500 total time (but only 15 multi) and another
has 600 hours total, and 15 multi. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Cap
Old November 25th 03, 04:37 PM
Teacherjh

No experience, but try it as a separate club or partnership. Those interested
pony up the cash (and have equity) to buy the plane, shares can be sold when
leaving the club, and everything else is shared among the "twin" members based
on tach time and calendar time as appropriate. It's like owning a share.

You'd then be a member of two different clubs.

Jose

Old November 26th 03, 12:13 AM
Gilles KERMARC

Captain Wubba wrote:
Hello. I'm a member of a flying club that is in the process of
purchasing a Cessna 337 (Actually a new member is bringing it in with
his membership). The club manager wants to bring in a twin because he
thinks he can easily get 7 or 8 new members specifically for the twin.

I had the feeling that the push-pull configuration doesn't make a "twin"
in that it doesn't require a twin rating ? Or is it only in some
European countries ?

I'm fairly low time (Commercial Single &
Multi, Instrument, 500 hours total, 20 multi, 40 complex)

I wish I were that "low time".

Old November 26th 03, 12:19 AM
BTIZ

in the US it's a TWIN... but if you take your initial ME checkride in it..
you will be limited to "center line thrust" on your certificate.

BT

Old November 26th 03, 03:04 AM
Chris Nielsen

Gilles KERMARC wrote:

Captain Wubba wrote:
Hello. I'm a member of a flying club that is in the process of
purchasing a Cessna 337 (Actually a new member is bringing it in with
his membership). The club manager wants to bring in a twin because he
thinks he can easily get 7 or 8 new members specifically for the twin.

I had the feeling that the push-pull configuration doesn't make a "twin"
in that it doesn't require a twin rating ? Or is it only in some
European countries ?

Just to stick my oar in here - here in New Zealand it also doesn't count as
a twin. Even our logbooks state you can't log time as multi if it's
centre-line thrust.

cya

Chris Nielsen
Old November 27th 03, 02:42 AM
Rick Durden

Chris,

Just to stick my oar in here - here in New Zealand it also doesn't count as
a twin. Even our logbooks state you can't log time as multi if it's
centre-line thrust.

Interesting. In the early '60s when Cessna certified the 336, it
asked the FAA to allow single-engine pilots to fly it; FAA said no,
have to have a multi-engine rating. Also, those military pilots who
flew the F-4 Phantom and then obtained U.S. civilian ratings based on
military experience were given centerline thrust limitations on their
ratings, apparently due to the close proximity of the engines and the
relatively mild yaw on loss of one.

All the best,
Rick