How much faster w/o slats?

Old February 5th 04, 06:12 PM

Default How much faster w/o slats?

Howdy,

The Zenith Aircraft CH701 is a neat little two place STOL machine that employs
leading edge slats that are permanently deployed. Top speed for the little
machine is 95 mph.

Any idea of how much faster it might be if the slats were removed?

Anyone ever tried this?

thanks,
tom pettit
Old February 5th 04, 07:11 PM
Gig Giacona

wrote in message
Howdy,

The Zenith Aircraft CH701 is a neat little two place STOL machine that

employs
leading edge slats that are permanently deployed. Top speed for the

little
machine is 95 mph.

Any idea of how much faster it might be if the slats were removed?

Anyone ever tried this?

thanks,
tom pettit

I'd ask over at the Matronics Zenith list or even search the archive. Who
knows it might not fly at all.

Old February 5th 04, 10:56 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:11:33 -0600, "Gig Giacona"
wrote:

wrote in message
Howdy,

The Zenith Aircraft CH701 is a neat little two place STOL machine that

employs
leading edge slats that are permanently deployed. Top speed for the

little
machine is 95 mph.

Any idea of how much faster it might be if the slats were removed?

Anyone ever tried this?

thanks,
tom pettit

I'd ask over at the Matronics Zenith list or even search the archive. Who
knows it might not fly at all.

IIRC the question was asked of Chris at one of our chapter meetings,
and the difference was something like 5 - 10 mph and the stall speed
went up by about 1.5 times that difference.
The Pegazair has retracable slats and goes something like 15mph
faster.

Old February 6th 04, 08:25 AM
Ben Haas

wrote in message
Howdy,

The Zenith Aircraft CH701 is a neat little two place STOL machine that

employs
leading edge slats that are permanently deployed. Top speed for the

little
machine is 95 mph.

Any idea of how much faster it might be if the slats were removed?

Anyone ever tried this?

thanks,
tom pettit

I'd ask over at the Matronics Zenith list or even search the archive. Who
knows it might not fly at all.

It will not fly at all. The leading edge slats are the proper airfoil
and with out them the leading edge of the wing itself won't cut it.
There are two ways to get around this. One is to modify the existing
slats to make them retractable, kinda like Pegasus did in Canada. The
draw back to this is if you get into some turbalance and one deploys
and one doesn't the plane is close to uncontrollable. Or keep them in
a fixed position and on known long distance cross country flights take
some helicopter tape and seal off the top, bottom or both openings.
Just remember that the spectacular take offs are disabled doing this.

Ben Haas N801BH Zenith 801 builder...
Old February 6th 04, 11:27 AM
Jan Carlsson

When using automatic slats it is commen to have an connection between them
so they act parallell. (they also have dampers)

I have been flying the French MS Rallye 880 - 893 alot, and don air-tow of
gliders (with the 180HP -893) towing in turbulant air around 75-80 MPH make
the slats "pop" in and out, others it is no problema.
in"free" flight you just pass that speed, faster or slower.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

om...

Old February 6th 04, 09:11 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:27:30 +0100, "Jan Carlsson"
wrote:

When using automatic slats it is commen to have an connection between them
so they act parallell. (they also have dampers)

I have been flying the French MS Rallye 880 - 893 alot, and don air-tow of
gliders (with the 180HP -893) towing in turbulant air around 75-80 MPH make
the slats "pop" in and out, others it is no problema.
in"free" flight you just pass that speed, faster or slower.

On the Pegazair, the slats are individual, and independent. They pop
in and out as required, and are NOT anything near uncontrollable.
Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

. com...

Old February 7th 04, 02:54 AM
Stu Fields

Seems like a bad question. If you are interested in speed you are looking
at the wrong A/C to start with.
stu fields safar helicopter.

Old February 7th 04, 03:47 PM

Nope,
The basic mission I'm wanting to accomplish is ariel viewing of interesting
terrain, the ability to land on dirt roads, and low cost. On the very seldom
cross country flight, if I could mess with retracting or removing the slats to
get there a little faster, that would be a reasonable use of my time. 99
percent of the time I wouldn't care if it flew only 60 knots.

Besides, I'm a curious sort, and have been wondering what sort of penalty the
slats incure.

tom