Looking At RAS Faster

Old April 6th 04, 12:43 AM
B. Iten

Default Looking At RAS Faster

Is there anywhere else you can go to look at the threads on RAS that
is a little faster than waiting for google to update?
Thanks
Brian Iten
17
Old April 6th 04, 01:07 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Brian,

I use the website, www.gliderpilot.net to access R.A.S.
and have found it displays posts much quicker than
Google.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old April 6th 04, 02:39 AM
Eric Greenwell

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

Brian,

I use the website, www.gliderpilot.net to access R.A.S.
and have found it displays posts much quicker than
Google.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 23:54 05 April 2004, B. Iten wrote:

Is there anywhere else you can go to look at the threads
on RAS that
is a little faster than waiting for google to update?
Thanks
Brian Iten

Use a newsreader instead of a browser. Outlook Express has one, as does
Netscape 7 (which I use). Even better newsreaders are available as
stand-alone programs, as they give you many options for displaying the
threads, working online/offline, posting options, etc.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 6th 04, 12:32 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:39:36 -0700, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

Brian,

I use the website, www.gliderpilot.net to access R.A.S.
and have found it displays posts much quicker than
Google.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 23:54 05 April 2004, B. Iten wrote:

Is there anywhere else you can go to look at the threads
on RAS that
is a little faster than waiting for google to update?
Thanks
Brian Iten

Use a newsreader instead of a browser. Outlook Express has one, as does
Netscape 7 (which I use). Even better newsreaders are available as
stand-alone programs, as they give you many options for displaying the
threads, working online/offline, posting options, etc.

Download Free Agent from http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
and give it a try. As the name says, its free to try out.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old April 6th 04, 04:46 PM
Liam Finley

It's amazing that I can post with Google groups, and the post shows up
elsewhere almost instantaneously, yet takes almost a day to show up on
Google groups. This is one area in which Google sucks.

Old April 6th 04, 05:33 PM
Eric Greenwell

Liam Finley wrote:

It's amazing that I can post with Google groups, and the post shows up
elsewhere almost instantaneously, yet takes almost a day to show up on
Google groups. This is one area in which Google sucks.

Perhaps I misunderstood what Brian was asking: I thought it was the
display responsiveness while reading the threads, but perhaps he meant
the posting delay Liam mentions.

--
-----

Old April 6th 04, 07:02 PM
Brian Iten

Eric and Liam got it right. I am actually posting through
gliderport.net right now as I have yet to figure out
what to put in for newsgroup server in netscape. For
some reason it does not like rec.aviation.soaring.
Brian
17

Old April 6th 04, 09:09 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 6 Apr 2004 18:02:21 GMT, Brian Iten wrote:

Eric and Liam got it right. I am actually posting through
gliderport.net right now as I have yet to figure out
what to put in for newsgroup server in netscape. For
some reason it does not like rec.aviation.soaring.
Brian
17

Does your ISP have a news server? If so, configure that in. If not,
I'm sure somebody knows the names of suitable public news servers.

Once that's done, your newsreader should be able to show you the list
of available newsgroups and let you select the ones you want to
subscribe to. My ISP's server carries 37225 newsgroups right now,
ranging from the sensible (comp.os.linux.*) through mild lunacy
(rec.aviation.soaring) to the extreme
(alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk).

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old April 6th 04, 09:58 PM
Eric Greenwell

Brian Iten wrote:

Eric and Liam got it right. I am actually posting through
gliderport.net right now as I have yet to figure out
what to put in for newsgroup server in netscape. For
some reason it does not like rec.aviation.soaring.

Which Netscape? I use 7.1, and can help with those settings. You will
need the name of the news server from your ISP, usually something like
"news.ispname.net".

If your ISP doesn't have a news server, there are free ones, such as
this one from Germany:

http://news.cis.dfn.de/
NetNews-Service Uni-Berlin.DE
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Jeppesen USB Skybound Faster? Marco Leon Owning 9 September 18th 04 03:49 AM
Why small radius collects ice faster? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 13 March 25th 04 04:38 PM
How much faster w/o slats? [email protected] Home Built 7 February 7th 04 03:47 PM
will this fly? Lee Elson Owning 92 December 15th 03 04:03 AM
SR- 71/ Blackbird lore Larry Dighera Military Aviation 28 July 31st 03 02:20 PM