ZZZooommm rant latest

Old September 8th 03, 06:53 AM
Eric Miller

We definitely need some kind of tort reform.
Americans have a lottery mentality regarding civil suits, both as plaintiffs
and jurors... and the jackpots keep getting bigger and bigger.
I still think the loser of a lawsuit should pay all court and legal costs,
though I understand the downside of that too (from a recent post here).
At a bare minimum, plaintiffs should only be able to sue for actual damages.
If punitive damages must be awarded, do something useful with them. Apply
them to safety reform, quality assurance... or just pay down the national
debt.
As a last resort, BURN the money... whatever it takes to keep it out of the
hands of the lawyers and plaintffs.
Suits are for redressing wrongs, not a reward for either lack or personal
responsiblity or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Eric "I'm too young to be this old"

Old September 8th 03, 07:34 AM
Juan E Jimenez

"C.D. Damron" wrote in message

If you think that every out-of-court settlement is an admission of
negligence or responsibility, you are an idiot.

Now you're boring me, son. Go, play in the sandbox all you want. Enjoy.

Juan

Old September 8th 03, 07:35 AM
Juan E Jimenez

I don't disagree that we need tort reform, but I do disagree that all
lawsuits that are settled out of court have no merit, or are settled solely
for economic reasons. Many times suits are settled because the defendant
realized that there's no way he/she can win. I think you know that as well
as I do.

. net...

Old September 8th 03, 07:37 AM
Juan E Jimenez

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
ink.net...

Why do you guys keep bothering with Juan?

Was anyone talking to you? If you don't like to see people talking here with
people you don't like, don't read. Shoo.

Juan

Old September 8th 03, 07:41 AM
Juan E Jimenez

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
. net...

Just what exactly do you lose (besides the time the litigation takes)?
If you have liability insurance, you probably don't even pay an extra

dime.

Oh, I get it. The $750,000 came from thin air.

It doesn't change the fact that money changed hands, but it changes the
reason WHY.

No, it does not. A lawsuit was filed, and the defendant made the choice to
pay rather than having a judge telling him to do so.

As I said before, just because money was exchanged doesn't mean anything
about the merits of the suit.

Only if the only piece of information you look at is the delivery of the
check.

I'm sure that since the plaintiff built the UL he did NOT claim the
construction was negligent.

Ok, so you don't know the reason why the lawsuit was filed. Geez, Eric, you
could at least find out or ask. The plaintiff did not build the UL.

As I read it, he listed his past and current litigation to show he WASN'T
successfully sued.

sigh Read further back in the thread. If you're not going to read the
entire thread, you ought not be arguing points with which you haven't
bothered to familiarize yourself.

Juan

Old September 8th 03, 01:20 PM
Jerry Springer

Juan E Jimenez wrote:
"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
ink.net...

Why do you guys keep bothering with Juan?

Was anyone talking to you? If you don't like to see people talking here with
people you don't like, don't read. Shoo.

Juan

You said one time you were going back to PR so your kids could get a
better education than they can get here in this country. If you are the
product of the PR education system I feel sorry for your kids.
Now, don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave this country.
Please hurry and go.

Jerry

Old September 8th 03, 02:00 PM
Michael Pilla

"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message
. ..
I don't disagree that we need tort reform, but I do disagree that all
lawsuits that are settled out of court have no merit, or are settled

solely
for economic reasons. Many times suits are settled because the defendant
realized that there's no way he/she can win. I think you know that as well
as I do.

SNIP

The problem is that only the folks on the side that settled know the real
reason and right now, that is Chuck since he was a principal party to the
reason for the settlement. He has indicated, to my satisfaction, that the
reason behind the settlement was similar to the "preservation" information
expressed by a previous poster. That clearly is not something that
reasonable people would argue constitutes a "lose" situation. One could
argue that the plaintiff also "lost" since they did not get the huge
settlement that they felt a jury might award. I guess the old adage that
there are no winners, only losers in court probably applies. (Yes, I know,
someone will argue that there are winners - the lawyers. However, I am
thinking only of the plaintiff and defendant.)

Everyone else remarking about the "reason" behind the settlement (summarized
as win/lose, or, perhaps not-lose/lose) is simply speculating about things
not directly knowable. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I
must take Chuck at his word. Enough folks have expressed similar
experiences that clearly demonstrate "preservation" is a very strong
motivator in settling, not fear of losing because the facts are against the
defendant.

Michael Pilla

Old September 8th 03, 02:01 PM
RobertR237

In article usV6b.289452$Oz4.79756@rwcrnsc54, "Juan E Jimenez"
writes:

Why do you guys keep bothering with Juan?

Was anyone talking to you? If you don't like to see people talking here with
people you don't like, don't read. Shoo.

Juan

And I don't think he was talking to YOU either. Take your own advice boy.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old September 8th 03, 02:01 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Juan E Jimenez"
writes:

If you think that every out-of-court settlement is an admission of
negligence or responsibility, you are an idiot.

Now you're boring me, son. Go, play in the sandbox all you want. Enjoy.

Juan

Good old Juan, snip out one sentence and make a stupid reply while ignoring all
the content and reasoning from the remainder of the post. Yes, you are
predictable and boring.

Old September 8th 03, 02:01 PM
RobertR237

In article c_S6b.386093$o%2.173708@sccrnsc02, "Juan E Jimenez"
writes:

Funny, I have seen the signs and do not recalling Jim Campbell's name on

any of
those signs.

Poor naive Bob, doesn't have a clue what the signs were about, and thinks
everyone else thinks the same.

Not.

As I mentioned earlier in another post, either quote me entirely or don't quote
me at all.

Nothing naive about it and if you had included the rest of my post it was quite
clear. So quit pulling this **** and YOU won't look like such a damn fool. I
know what the signs said and what they were about but also know that out of the
100's of thousands of attendants at Oskhosh this year not more than a few dozen
have any clue what-so-ever regarding those signs. Those few dozen are mostly
members of this newsgroup or some of the vendors that Jim has tried to screw
over the years.

Now pull you head out of Jim's ass long enough to smell something besides his
**** for a change.