ZZZooommm rant latest

Old September 7th 03, 01:57 AM
C.D. Damron

Juan,

Your lack of education in the field of journalism is obvious and embracing
the narrowist definition of journalism you could find in your $1.99
dictionary is not surprising.

I've taken a couple of classes in journalism and honestly think that you
might benefit from the experience, as well.

I certainly know the difference between an editorial and news story. I also
know the definition of journalism, as it is presented in the classroom,
embraced by those in the field, and detailed in finer unabridged
dictionaries.

American Heritage Dictionary

journalism - 1) the collecting, writing, editing, and presentation of news
in print or electronic media. 2) Written material of current or popular
interest.

It is not surprising that you would argue that editorials need not be
journalistically responsible, as they are not examples of journalism or
products of journalists. Editorials can be irresponsible. When journalists
recuse themselves of all journalistic integrity when writing an editorial,
it is especially irresponsible and unprofessional.

In modern journalism, a distinction is often made between editorials and
commentaries. Editorials suggest the opinion of the editorial staff or
editor, (a journalist), while commentaries suggest that the opinions are not
necessarily those of the publication and are often written by
non-journalists. This distinction is made, I believe, to underscore that
opinions expressed in editorials are the result of honest journalist
pursuits.

The editorial I cited was an example of bad journalism.

In your opinion... shrug

Yes, in my opinion is is an example of bad journalism.

ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHA! That's funny!!!! You obviously don't have the slightest
clue of the definition of yellow journalism. To suggest that ANN engaged

in
yellow journalism related to an activity attended by _hundreds of

thousands
of people_ is patently absurd and bordering on the prepubescent.

The fact that the event was attended by thousands, is of little consequence
to our discussion. ANN's "editorial" suggests that Adam Aircraft is "under
fire for safety practices and other concerns" without providing any details.
Likewise, ANN suggests that the appearance carried with it "WAY too many
risks", without detailing those risks.

Yellow journalism need not be limited to news stories.

Old September 7th 03, 02:23 AM
C.D. Damron

"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message

Editorials are pieces which express opinions, and they can come from many
different sources. There are editorials that express the views of the
publication, and there are guest editorials that express the views of

people
who have standing in the community to talk about a specific issue.

Juan,

I guess you didn't reach for your cheap-ass dictionary to look up the word,
editorial, did you?

While you might find editorials and commentaries on an "Editorial Page", an
editorial is strictly defined.

editorial - 1) An article in a publication expressing the opinion of its
editors or publishers. 2) A commentary on television or radio expressing the
opinion of the station or network.
(American Heritage Dictionary)

From your words, it sounds like you are more than comfortable with the word,
editorialize.

editorialize - 2) to present an opinion in the guise of an objective report.
(American Heritage Dictionary)

The modern convention is to make an obvious distinction between an editorial
and commentary.

Old September 7th 03, 02:41 AM
Juan E Jimenez

Dave, I could care less. If you have a point, say so, and stop wasting my
time.

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
Juan E Jimenez wrote:

...I don't limit it to just businessmen.

Who do you think does?

Dave 'value judgment' Hyde

Old September 7th 03, 02:52 AM
Juan E Jimenez

"C.D. Damron" wrote in message
.net...

editorial - 1) An article in a publication expressing the opinion of its
editors or publishers. 2) A commentary on television or radio expressing

the
opinion of the station or network.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

editorialize - 2) to present an opinion in the guise of an objective

report.
(American Heritage Dictionary)

I pity the students who attended your classes and learned from you how to be
a journalist by picking and choosing what suits your argument while ignoring
what doesn't. To wit:

editorialize - 1. To express an opinion in or as if in an editorial.
(American Heritage Dictionary)

BTW, rather than worrying so much about your uninformed opinions about
editorials vs. bonafide news and the difference between the two, you ought
to stick to what you allege you know and fix your web site.

Juan

Old September 7th 03, 02:54 AM
C.D. Damron

"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message
So you gave a couple of classes. Good for you. You still don't have a clue
what yellow journalism really is. The history of the term is plastered all
over the net. Go read it.

BTW, is putting words in people's mouths part of what you taught in your
journalism "classes"? chuckle

I don't think I was putting any words in people's mouths. If so, I would
have hoped to do a better job.

For those of us that don't feel like Googling for definitions, don't have a
slang dictionary, or don't have time to take a class, why don't you define
"yellow journalism" for us. My understanding of the term might be
distorted, but I think not.

Old September 7th 03, 02:56 AM
C.D. Damron

"Juan E Jimenez" wrote in message
et...

BTW, rather than worrying so much about your uninformed opinions about
editorials vs. bonafide news and the difference between the two, you ought
to stick to what you allege you know and fix your web site.

It hasn't been a priority. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old September 7th 03, 02:58 AM
B2431

Depends on the deal. Sometimes confession to a lesser charge is a condition.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old September 7th 03, 02:59 AM
Dave Hyde

Juan E Jimenez wrote:

...stop wasting my time.

You're going to have to do that yourself, Juan.

Dave 'OOC' Hyde

Old September 7th 03, 03:33 AM
RobertR237

In article MKu6b.278388$cF.86350@rwcrnsc53, "Juan E Jimenez"
writes:

No. Editorials don't necessarily have to _argue_ a point. They may simply
state an opinion based on an observation of something that happened in the
community. In this case, ANN is presenting its opinion on whether or not it
was a good idea for Adam to rush through a few hours of flight and fly to
OSH just because they want to show the a/c. ANN doesn't have to argue
anything to present this opinion. It can simply present it, as it did. Same
as my tiny editorial awarding Adam Aircraft the Steel Cojones Award for
bring the a/c to the show. (Oh, you missed that? hmm... interesting example
of selective reading) I didn't have to argue anything, period. I simply
stated it.

No Jaun, the Steel Cojones Award was not missed by anyone but, anyone with half
a brain also knows that it doesn't represent a compliment either. It was taken
as a slam on Adam Aircraft which is obviously, in light of the editorial, the
way it was intended.

Talk about selective reading! When are you going to learn to read?

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old September 7th 03, 03:33 AM
RobertR237

In article , "C.D. Damron"
writes:

Juan, it surprises me that a journalist doesn't know the definition of
journalism.

The craft of journalism is not limited to the presentation of news, it also
includes any material of current or popular interest, including editorials.

Editorials differ from news stories by not necessarily examining all sides
or opinions. However, it is considered good journalism for editorials to
adequately argue their point based on facts presented.

The editorial I cited was an example of bad journalism. It made a rather
dramatic point without presenting any facts or supporting arguments. The
"if you knew what I know" approach would be considered yellow journalism by
just about any objective standard.

Would you like another lesson in journalism?

One only needs to look back at some of Jim's articles / editorials in USAviator
and even many on ANN to see many examples of the "if you knew what I know or
suspect" type of story. When asked for specifics and facts to back it up the
response has always been to counterattack the request.