Advice for a New Pilot?

Old July 1st 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Advice for a New Pilot?

Sign up for XC and/or thermalling camps. You will come away a
completely different pilot. I highly recommend the Air Sailing XC
camp. Friendly, nurturing, lots of well thought out information in a
huge binder you take away with you, experienced pilots to fly with,
and some of the best soaring in the country.

Matt
Old July 1st 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ryan:

The nice thing about soaring is that it's always new -- the challenge
never leaves it. I've got a letter to the editor coming out in
Soaring in a couple months that tries to make that point.

But the thing about soaring that will bite you is that there's always
something out there that you haven't seen or experienced before. For
that reason I recommend you fly with different CFIGs, different clubs,
and different commercial operations. There's value added from all
those experiences.

This note is a flat-out commercial for our operation -- SoaringNV, in
Minden, Nevada. Our business model is to offer cross country training
in very modern equipment with very experienced instructors. We use
the Duo Discus, and we fly in one of the world's very best soaring
locations. If you're close enough to visit, I'm confident you'd find
it worthwhile to fly with us. Do book well in advance, though -- our
calendar for the rest of the summer is looking pretty busy.

And if you can't make it to Minden, look for advanced training closer
to home. You'll find it a valuable experience.

Fred LaSor
SoaringNV
Minden, NV

Ryan Spicer wrote:
Hi all,
I've seen a lot of interesting discussion on this group
improving skills and safety, so I thought I'd ask this he I'm
currently training for my private pilot glider ticket, starting from
zero. I have about 12hrs in my logbook over 43 flights, about a third
of which are solo. I did initial training in a 2-33 and my instructor
recently checked me out in the 1-26, which I'm loving. I have a great
instructor, insofar as I'm capable of judging such things, and I'm not
worried about passing the practical, but here's the question:

Beyond reading the Knauff books and seeking continuing instruction,
what recommendations does the group have for continuing to improve
skills and be better, safer pilot after I pass the practical? I'm
almost certainly going to continue training, start learning what I
need to know to fly XC, and work on the SSA badges. I've seen what
looks like some good advice in some recent threads, and I'm certainly
looking for more. I know my CFIG is the first and best point of
contact for all these things, but I'm always in favor of getting more
information when possible. So what are the things you wish you'd
known at this point in your soaring career?

Also, I've searched for the Knauff books on Amazon, and they appear to
be out of print. Is this correct? If so, is my best bet to purchase
them through Amazon used, or are there other vendors that are
preferred?

Old July 1st 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 30, 9:52*am, Ryan Spicer wrote:
[...]

Contrary to much of the advice proferred here, I think you need to
concentrate on local flights and build up your skill levels before
attempting any XC flights. Flying XC assumes that you ALREADY have the
fundamental soaring skills down pat, and can devote a large part of
your attention on things flight planning, weather prediction, route
planning, landout monitoring, etc.

Look at it this way: you will not be punished for being over-prepared
prior to XC flight, but you sure as hell will be if you are under-
prepared.
Old July 1st 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 30, 9:55*pm, wrote:
[...]

The way to avoid those issues is to fly dual with an experienced XC
pilot in a nice XC ship that can show you what can be done, and clue
you into some of the basics of XC flight but more importantly show you
what the big picture looks like and whether this is really likely to
interest you/be worth all the effort. Especially if you already have
strong interest in XC flight I'd talk to your CFIG and other local
pilots and see if there are opportunities for some dual XC flying.
This will give you a good perspective and keep your interest high.
While book reading, study, talking to folk is useful flying XC dual
lets you see the real thing. BTW if you can't find this locally then,
like Fred LaSor says look around and try to find somewhere/somebody
that can help you with this. Of course balance doing things like this
with advice from your CFIG on things you need to focus on.

BTW I've had some fun dual flights with low time/non-XC pilots. But
one of my favorite was a bit different, was with an internationally
ranked paraglider pilot who had never flown in a sailplane. A 460km
O&R along the Sierras opened his eyes to what a sailplane can do.
Greg could not wipe the smile off his face.
http://blog.gregbabush.com/2006/09/t...ee-462-km.html

Darryl

Old July 2nd 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jul 1, 5:55*am, wrote:
snip

Contrary to much of the advice proferred here, I think you need to
concentrate on local flights and build up your skill levels before
attempting any XC flights. Flying XC assumes that you ALREADY have the
fundamental soaring skills down pat, and can devote a large part of
your attention on things flight planning, weather prediction, route
planning, landout monitoring, etc.

I'm not sure what the state of play in the US is, but at my club and I
suspect all others in the UK, we have to have our Bronze badge plus XC
endorsement before flying other than locally (e.g. attempting Silver
distance). Of course an outlanding is still a possibility but they
don't happen often and there is a body of knowledge about where the
best fields are (given the state of the crops) which can and should be
tapped.
Old July 2nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:42:38 -0700, Cats wrote:

I'm not sure what the state of play in the US is, but at my club and I
suspect all others in the UK, we have to have our Bronze badge plus XC
endorsement before flying other than locally (e.g. attempting Silver
distance).

That's certainly true in my club. Usually a newly minted Bronze XC
Endorsed pilot would attempt Silver distance as their first XC on
a day okayed by an instructor and after a thorough briefing.

Once that's accomplished the next target is the 100 km diploma - again
only after its been sanctioned by an instructor.

It seems to work for us - unless the day suddenly turns to worms most
pilots get Silver on their first attempt. Before you ask, we're
scrupulous about not permitting lead & follow or similar cheating
for these flights and we much prefer Silver distance to be flown in a
Junior rather than anything with better performance. New XC pilots may not
get the speed leg of the 100 km diploma on their first attempt but they're
likely to complete the task.

Of course an outlanding is still a possibility but they
don't happen often and there is a body of knowledge about where the best
fields are (given the state of the crops) which can and should be tapped.

Those without the XC Endorsement are expected to avoid landing out. If
they get it wrong and end up aux vaches there would likely be a discussion
with an instructor about deficient judgment.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

Old July 3rd 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jul 2, 10:45*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:42:38 -0700, Cats wrote:
I'm not sure what the state of play in the US is, but at my club and I
suspect all others in the UK, we have to have our Bronze badge plus XC
endorsement before flying other than locally (e.g. attempting Silver
distance).

That's certainly true in my club. Usually a newly minted Bronze XC
Endorsed pilot would attempt Silver distance as their first XC on
a day okayed by an instructor and after a thorough briefing.

Once that's accomplished the next target is the 100 km diploma - again
only after its been sanctioned by an instructor.

It seems to work for us - unless the day suddenly turns to worms most
pilots get Silver on their first attempt.

I guess we get a lot of worms north of the border! Some of the Silver
Distance flights are downwind dashes from wave rather than a thermal
XC, but I'm not sure of the ratio. Naturally most of the good days
(wave & thermal) are during the week so us younger (e.g. working)
pilots can have to wait for quite some time for getting a decent day
at the weekend.

Before you ask, we're
scrupulous about not permitting lead & follow or similar cheating
for these flights and we much prefer Silver distance to be flown in a
Junior rather than anything with better performance. New XC pilots may not
get the speed leg of the 100 km diploma on their first attempt but they're
likely to complete the task.

Of the last few Silver Distance flights I know of some but not all
have been in the Juniors.

Of course an outlanding is still a possibility but they
don't happen often and there is a body of knowledge about where the best
fields are (given the state of the crops) which can and should be tapped.

Those without the XC Endorsement are expected to avoid landing out. If
they get it wrong and end up aux vaches there would likely be a discussion
with an instructor about deficient judgment.

True, but it has happened (and will continue to happen), and the
people it has happened that I know of to are still flying. None of
them broke anything in the cases I know about, and I suspect they were
all learning experiences.
Old July 3rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 01:11:23 -0700, Cats wrote:

I guess we get a lot of worms north of the border!

Tell me about it! Same for us the last two years.

Some of the Silver Distance flights are downwind dashes from wave rather
than a thermal XC, but I'm not sure of the ratio.

What I said applies solely to the way things work where I fly, which is a
flatland club. I'm not remotely intending what I said to be taken as
generalisation and realise that it often doesn't work that way when you're
not situated in the midst of flat, fairly landable country with suitable
glider fields or airfields 50-70 km away.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |