advise on wax wanted

Old February 12th 09, 03:28 AM
Max Birley Max Birley is offline
Junior Member

Default advise on wax wanted

I have over the years accumulated all sorts of glider waxing products. I want to remove oxidized paint and to polish my glider (it has a polyurethane paint finish) to have a smooth finish and importantly to protect it against the very strong UV light in Texas

There is a lot of talk on the net about wax/ polish that contains silicon which can cause bonding problems. I have read e mails that say that short chain silicon’s products are ok. But how do you tell ?

I would appreciate any comments on the appropriateness of these products and any recommendations regarding better products especially if they can be used with a orbital buffer. The products need tobe available in the US.

The products that I have are as follows

Paint restoration and de oxidation products
1 3M Rubbing compound 05973
2 3M Imperial microfinishing compound
3 Racers Edge Premium Polymer Restorer 2 to remove the oxidized layer
4 Dri wash 11 guard Oxygone (never used)

Final Coat wax
1 Auto Magic
XP Express was #89
Containing
Mineral Spirit 64742-48-9
Water 7732-18-5
Aluminum Silicates 66402-68-4
Silicon Fluid 63148-62-9
Carnuba Wax 8015-86-9
Concerned about the silicon

2 Racers Egde Automotive polish
Aliphatic Hydrogens 64742-96-7 and 8052-41-3
Morpholine 110 91 8
Stoddard solvents 8052 41 2
3 Then WX block for U
4 Granitize wax (never used)
5 Dri wash 11 guard waterless car wash and protective glase-ultra ion (Not used)

All of the above have been recommended by one glider pilot or another.

But which is the best?

advice welcome
Old February 12th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Every other year I buff out my ship using a 1700 rpm grinder/buffer,
with wool pad and 3-M liquid buffing compound (think its 5973). Every
year I wax it with Mothers carnuba wax (believe its made by Simonize,
costs about $20 bucks a can). The buffing removes the old wax and any
oxidaxied paint, be careful while buffing as it can grab trailing
edges and do some real damage (always have the cutting edge turning
away from the trailing edge, never towards a trailing edge/wing tip/
rudder/aileron/elevator/flap/gear doors)
JJ

--
Max Birley

Old February 12th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44

On Feb 11, 7:28*pm, Max Birley
wrote:
[...]

Like JJ I polish my ship using the 3M compound and a buffer. I have
tried a number of Meguires products and Mother's wax also.
Last years post to this group mentioned a wax I found to be very good
is Harly Wax. Here is the link: http://harlywax.com/HarlyWax/

Another good site for polishing products is Caswell: They have some
interesting polishing products. Here is their link: http://www.caswellplating.com/
They specialize in plating and polishing products.

Some new products they have for polishing paints that claim to have
no petroleum base, no silicones, no abrasives. I haven't tried these
yet, but they sound really good. I want to ask them specifically
about the effect or not on gel coat finishes first. The product I am
talking about is called "Glare polish." check it out.

Old February 12th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 11, 8:28*pm, Max Birley
wrote:
I have over the years accumulated all sorts of glider waxing products. I

Silicon Fluid * * * * * 63148-62-9
Carnuba Wax * * * * * * 8015-86-9
Concerned about the silicon

Are you sure it contains silicon fluid? I have heard the concerns
about using silicone products but the silicon risk is new to me. Some
news reports suggest it (silicon) is now being used in breast
implants. Hope the huge demand for those does not push up the price of
semiconductors.

Andy
Old February 12th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_2_]

JJ,

What are your thoughts on the periodic use of a product like Dri'n'Wash
during the season after the carnuba waxing at the beginning of the season.

Thanks,
John

Old February 12th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Feb 12, 7:50*am, "John Scott" wrote:
JJ,

What are your thoughts on the periodic use of a product like Dri'n'Wash
during the season after the carnuba waxing at the beginning of the season..

Thanks,
John

I'm also interested in JJ's take on using any product that contains
silicone on gliders. I've read some things that have made me very
paranoid about what touches my glider.
Old February 12th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 12, 10:41*am, Andy wrote:
On Feb 11, 8:28*pm, Max Birley
wrote:

I have over the years accumulated all sorts of glider waxing products. I
Silicon Fluid * * * * * 63148-62-9
Carnuba Wax * * * * * * 8015-86-9
Concerned about the silicon

Are you sure it contains silicon fluid? *I have heard the concerns
about using silicone products but the silicon risk is new to me. *Some
news reports suggest it (silicon) is now being used in breast
implants. Hope the huge demand for those does not push up the price of
semiconductors.

Andy

Silicon melts at 1410 deg C. This is the stuff in semiconductors and
solar cells.

Silicones are silicon-oxygen backbone polymers. This is the stuff in
waxes, polishes, wetting agents and boob jobs.

-T8 (who melts silicon for fun & profit and never puts silicones on
his glider)
Old February 12th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 11, 10:28*pm, Max Birley Max.Birley.
wrote:
[...]

I polish with various polishes. 3M has a full range depending on how
much cutting you need to do. I use rotary buffer with 10 inch buffing
pad , 4 inches wide. Orbitals are good for waxing and light polishing
but take forever if you have much oxydation to remove.
I like Mothers Gold. Shines good and smells great.
Good luck
UH
Old February 12th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Lazenby

Silicon melts at 1410 deg C. This is the stuff in semiconductors and
solar cells.

Silicones are silicon-oxygen backbone polymers. This is the stuff in
waxes, polishes, wetting agents and boob jobs.

Well blow me down, and thanks for the insight T8, I thought this was just
a different way of spelling the same stuff....!

Paul
Old February 12th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 12, 3:00*pm, Paul Lazenby wrote:
Silicon melts at 1410 deg C. *This is the stuff in semiconductors and
solar cells.

Silicones are silicon-oxygen backbone polymers. *This is the stuff in
waxes, polishes, wetting agents and boob jobs.

Well blow me down, and thanks for the insight T8, I thought this was just
a different way of spelling the same stuff....!

Paul

This isn't too bad as an intro to silicone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

Silicon here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

TRIKE advise wanted (Australia) Frank K. Piloting 2 August 21st 07 08:34 PM
Alon Aircoupe / Ercoupe advise wanted [email protected] Owning 5 April 19th 06 07:32 PM
GPS Advise Sam D. Thomas General Aviation 1 June 20th 05 02:04 AM
GPS Advise Sam D. Thomas Products 1 June 20th 05 02:03 AM
Lubrication Advise Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired Home Built 5 May 15th 05 05:23 PM