CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 22nd 04, 01:56 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dude wrote:

Teachers I have talked too care less about the money and more about the fact
that they have ZERO control in the classroom.

That's certainly true here. I know two people who left decent jobs in telecom
industry to teach. One retired, and one left starry-eyed in mid-career. Both came
back somewhat disillusioned. The one who retired to teach is reluctant to discuss
the situation. The other one echoed what you've just said. Said the kids run wild
and you can do nothing about it.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 22nd 04, 01:51 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Monday night I gave the keynote address at the induction of new members into
the National Honors Society... These are the best and brightest, who had to
make a significantly high GPA and at the same time do a significant number
of service hours in the community in order to qualify... They restore my
faith in the next generation... The other 95% in the public class rooms are
just cannon fodder... Teaching in front of them under today's rules has to
be real agony...

My grandson attends private school... Acting out is NOT an option in those
classrooms, as he found out the first time he responded to being pushed...
The pusher was later ejected from the school after three warnings to the
parents - yup, three strikes and you are out, and no refund... I suspect
she is now in public school, relentlessly thinning out the ranks of
qualified teachers...
denny

Old January 22nd 04, 02:39 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
[...]

Quite so, Denny.

My three daughters (not a sitcom) all attended private school (K-9, about
180 to 220 students in later years) and I remember numerous stories about
kids dropped on their FIRST major infraction.

When they had "Open House", not only parents showed up, but grandparents as
well. Some were single parents and few were really what you'd call "well
off"

BTW...all three daughters were reading old classics (Little Women,
Shakespeare...not abridges versions) but the time they were seven years old.

Not unusual at all when one remembers that the parents are spending THEIR
OWN money, rather than feeding at the public trough.

The School? A Montessori.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:47 PM
Dude

Tom,

Making the parents more involved by making them pay would be great, but I am
not gonna hold my breath. Also, I am not sure that the end result would be
a net improvement. Many parents are such numbskulls that the kids may end
up getting even less education.

I know what you are thinking, but there is not room in the jails for all the
parents who fit this bill. So, I will agree with you in theory, but have to
disagree in what is practical (at least until congress is taken over by
libertarians).

OUT

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Dude" wrote in message
Teachers I have talked too care less about the money and more about the

fact
that they have ZERO control in the classroom. The students have a right

do whatever they please wthout recourse. Only the best leaders are

capable
of controlling a classroom through force of personality. Enough of

those
people might be recruited with lots more money, but maybe not.

The quicker solution is to either bring back corporal punishment and
expulsions, or go with vouchers that will allow a free market to

separate
the children of idiots from the children of responsible parents.

Right there you hit the nail on the head...kinda.

If parents had to pay for their kids education out of THEIR pocket,

instead
of their neighbors, damn sure they would pay attention to their kids
learning and behavior. Ain't going to happen in tax funded schools.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:33 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:54:31 GMT, "Joe Johnson"
wrote:

"Gene Whitt" wrote in message
news
Y'All, over thirty years ago I taught such a pilot a bit past solo. He
stole a club plane and took a bottle up with him while he flew all over

the

snip

I wonder if I'll live long enough to have happen to me, everything that

can
happen?
Gene

One of my CFIs tells the story of instructing a student to "throttle back"
to begin slow flight maneuvers. Instead, the student pulled the mixture,
killing the engine. When the student realized what he had done, he pleaded
with the instructor, "your plane, your plane!" The CFI calmly replied,
"this aircraft was working when I handed it over to you. I don't want it
back now; it's not working!"

From the other end of the spectrum...
A while back a Glasair III pilot was undergoing some training. The
engine quit on final. Now the G-III has a wing loading of basically
30# per sq foot. That means when the power is off, or at idle the
rate of descent is welll... pretty decent.

The pilot/owner was set up pretty well for a dead stick landing, but
the instructor was unused to the high sink rate... (1500 fpm plus) and
was trying for a restart.

Just as the mains were ready to touch down the engine caught "at full
throttle". There was good news and bad news. (The bad news) The
plane slewed sideways due to the torque at slow speed, (The good news)
but they were so close to the runway the mains hit before they could
either roll or dig in a wing.(The bad news) Unfortunately they hit
almost sideways and it wiped the mains out.

You can look it up by checking for LAN as the airport and Glasair III.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 23rd 04, 04:11 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dude" wrote in message
Tom,

Making the parents more involved by making them pay would be great, but I

am
not gonna hold my breath. Also, I am not sure that the end result would

be
a net improvement. Many parents are such numbskulls that the kids may end
up getting even less education.

I know what you are thinking, but there is not room in the jails for all

the
parents who fit this bill.

Jail? How does that fit?

So, I will agree with you in theory, but have to
disagree in what is practical (at least until congress is taken over by
libertarians).

Until the majority of people change between their ears, nothing is going to
change/improve _politically_.
As long as the notion of public schools is predominnt, it will continue its
course.

"You can't change a country through the politcal process; you can only
change people's point-of-view (ie, political views/outlook).

Old January 23rd 04, 04:49 PM
Dude

I figured you would want to throw parents who wouldn't pay for their kids
education into jail. Looks like it was a bad guess.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:03 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dude" wrote in message
I figured you would want to throw parents who wouldn't pay for their kids
education into jail. Looks like it was a bad guess.

People would educate their kids that same way the feed them, cloth them,
care for their health..the same way they do those things for them now. If
they fail to do those things now, we call it...what?

Old January 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
Gary Drescher

"Dude" wrote in message
I figured you would want to throw parents who wouldn't pay for their

kids
education into jail. Looks like it was a bad guess.

People would educate their kids that same way the feed them, cloth them,
care for their health..the same way they do those things for them now. If
they fail to do those things now, we call it...what?

That depends. If the failure is because the costs far exceed the parents'
income, we call it poverty and lend a hand, as we should.

--Gary