In Memoriam

Old March 31st 04, 05:56 AM
StellaStar

Default In Memoriam

Let us all pause for a moment of silence for the destruction about a year ago
of poor Meigs field. You'll remember many thought briefly it must be an April
Fool story, when we heard that raving fool Mayor Daley had called bulldozers
out to carve up the field at midnight.

To our dismay, it turned out to be completely true. I'll never get my dream of
flying there. Not an April fool. Just a Daley Fool.

Old March 31st 04, 01:17 PM
David Martin

The link doesn't work.... it requires registration !

Any other way to share the article?

"Greg Burkhart" wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6723685.story

"StellaStar" wrote in message
Let us all pause for a moment of silence for the destruction about a year

ago
of poor Meigs field. You'll remember many thought briefly it must be an

April
Fool story, when we heard that raving fool Mayor Daley had called

bulldozers
out to carve up the field at midnight.

To our dismay, it turned out to be completely true. I'll never get my

dream of
flying there. Not an April fool. Just a Daley Fool.

David Martin
Mountain Home, Ar.
(to respond, get rid of the NOT)
Old March 31st 04, 01:37 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
The link doesn't work.... it requires registration !

Go to
http://www.bugmenot.com/ and get a phoney registration. That's what
I do for all these sites that require free registration.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Microsoft - Just say No.
Old March 31st 04, 03:22 PM
Peter R.

David Martin ) wrote:

The link doesn't work.... it requires registration !

Any other way to share the article?

The article is just an almanac. From the webpage:

"In 2003 Mayor Richard Daley sent bulldozers to Meigs Field and had the
runway torn up, effectively closing the downtown lakefront airport."

That's it.

(Thanks, Paul, for the very useful website!)

--
Peter

Old March 31st 04, 03:32 PM
Greg Burkhart

Sorry about that... Here's the entire article from that site:

------
ALMANAC
Almanac for Tuesday, March 30

Published March 30, 2004

On March 30, 1135, Jewish philosopher and physician Moses Maimonides was
born in Cordoba, Spain.

In 1746 painter Francisco de Goya was born in Fuendetodos, Spain.

In 1842 Dr. Crawford Long of Jefferson, Ga., became the first surgeon to use
ether as an anesthetic during a minor operation.

In 1853 painter Vincent Van Gogh was born in Zundert, Netherlands.

In 1858 a pencil equipped with an eraser was patented by Hyman Lipman of
Philadelphia.

In 1867 Secretary of State William Seward reached an agreement with Russia
to acquire Alaska for $7.2 million, which some referred to as "Seward's
Folly."

In 1870 the 15th Amendment to the Constitution, giving black men the right
to vote, was declared in effect. In 1880 playwright Sean O'Casey was born in
Dublin.

In 1945 rock guitarist Eric Clapton was born in Ripley, England.

In 1981 President Ronald Reagan was shot and seriously wounded by John
Hinckley Jr. outside a Washington hotel.

In 1995 Pope John Paul II issued the 11th encyclical of his papacy,
"Evangelium Vitae," in which he condemned abortion and euthanasia as crimes
that no human laws can legitimize.

In 1998 Rolls-Royce was purchased by the German automaker BMW in a $570
million deal.

In 2003 Mayor Richard Daley sent bulldozers to Meigs Field and had the
runway torn up, effectively closing the downtown lakefront airport.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...83mar30,1,6723