First Glider LS4

Old September 10th 04, 04:41 AM
Jeff Runciman

Default First Glider LS4

Thank you again for your advise. Any more thoughts
on the LS4? Any concerns with the age? What should
I pay for one? And are there any flying groups for
the LS4? Thank you again and I hope I can contribute
to the group as I go along.

Jeff

Old September 10th 04, 04:51 AM
Marc Ramsey

Jeff Runciman wrote:
Thank you again for your advise. Any more thoughts
on the LS4? Any concerns with the age? What should
I pay for one? And are there any flying groups for
the LS4? Thank you again and I hope I can contribute
to the group as I go along.

Make sure you check with the insurance companies (through the SSA
program, or otherwise) before you buy anything. They have very specific
experience requirements that will determine whether they will provide
you with a policy at a reasonable price, and even whether they will
insure you at all. One big factor is going to be the number of hours
you have in over 35:1 gliders...

Marc
Old September 10th 04, 08:47 AM
Stefan

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Make sure you check with the insurance companies (through the SSA
program, or otherwise) before you buy anything. They have very specific
experience requirements that will determine whether they will provide
you with a policy at a reasonable price, and even whether they will
insure you at all. One big factor is going to be the number of hours
you have in over 35:1 gliders...

Considering the docile behaviour of the LS4 and, most important, the
very effective airbrakes, this makes no sense at all.

Stefan

Old September 10th 04, 08:50 AM
Stefan

Jeff Runciman wrote:

Thank you again for your advise. Any more thoughts
on the LS4? Any concerns with the age?

The LS 4 is one of the most docile gliders I've ever flown. In some
European clubs it's even used as first solo training glider! The age is
no factor, the shape it's in is. Later LS4s have authomatic hook ups,
early ones don't, this should be reflected in the price.

The LS 4 has two negative points: One is the bad surface quality.
Depending on the use, they need a refinish rather soon. (In a club
environment after 15 years or so.) So take a careful look. The second is
the wheel brake. The wheel brake is a joke. This can be a problem if you
have to outland in a short field.

Stefan

Old September 10th 04, 08:53 AM
Janos Bauer

Jeff Runciman wrote:
Thank you again for your advise. Any more thoughts
on the LS4? Any concerns with the age? What should
I pay for one? And are there any flying groups for
the LS4? Thank you again and I hope I can contribute
to the group as I go along.

It's good to see that we managed to convince you
Waiting for your igc files on OLC!

/Janos
Old September 10th 04, 09:17 AM
Marc Ramsey

Stefan wrote:
Considering the docile behaviour of the LS4 and, most important, the
very effective airbrakes, this makes no sense at all.

You expect insurance companies to do things that make sense?

Marc
Old September 10th 04, 11:10 AM
Doug Hoffman

In article ,
Stefan wrote:

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Make sure you check with the insurance companies (through the SSA
program, or otherwise) before you buy anything. They have very specific
experience requirements that will determine whether they will provide
you with a policy at a reasonable price, and even whether they will
insure you at all. One big factor is going to be the number of hours
you have in over 35:1 gliders...

Considering the docile behaviour of the LS4 and, most important, the
very effective airbrakes, this makes no sense at all.

Marc is right about this one. I paid a higher premium at first with my
RS-15 (L/D=38) because I was a low time pilot in "anything" (about 20
hours). The insurance company explained why.

Regards,

-Doug
Old September 10th 04, 11:40 AM
Stefan

Doug Hoffman wrote:

insure you at all. One big factor is going to be the number of hours
you have in over 35:1 gliders...

Marc is right about this one. I paid a higher premium at first with my
RS-15 (L/D=38) because I was a low time pilot in "anything" (about 20
hours).

Higher premium because of low time in "anything" may make sense, but
because of low time in over 35:1 certainly doesn't.

Stefan

Old September 10th 04, 01:28 PM
Waduino

I'm still building my experience before buying a first glider, and from
reading RAS over the past year or so, I've also concluded that an LS4 would
be a great choice.

Is there a newer model plane that people adore as much as an LS4 for its
good balance of performance and behaviour?
Thanks.
Waduino.

---

Old September 10th 04, 02:04 PM
Janos Bauer

Waduino wrote:
I'm still building my experience before buying a first glider, and from
reading RAS over the past year or so, I've also concluded that an LS4 would
be a great choice.

Is there a newer model plane that people adore as much as an LS4 for its
good balance of performance and behaviour?
Thanks.
Waduino.

Discus2!

/Janos

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM