First Glider LS4

Old September 10th 04, 07:27 PM
Stefan

Mark James Boyd wrote:

, then try the LS-4.
Maybe it won't affect your decision, but it might
get you to buy wingstands or a gym membership...:P

If assembling an LS4 is an issue to you, then you *really* need that
membership urgently. Just a suugestion.

Stefan

Old September 10th 04, 11:26 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Stefan wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:

, then try the LS-4.
Maybe it won't affect your decision, but it might
get you to buy wingstands or a gym membership...:P

If assembling an LS4 is an issue to you, then you *really* need that
membership urgently. Just a suugestion.

Well, for a LOT of assemblies last year, I had the nicest,
greatest crew ever (my towpilot). But he's been doing this
about ten million years and ten billion times. It almost killed me
to even ask for his help 30 times in the 100 degrees at 8:30 am in
the harsh desert. Instead I wanted to let him swing on the hammock
and drink an iced tea while reading the paper (as he deserves).

Each pound of wing made me wince as this fine example of graceful
aging hefted the wingtip in my aid. My God, I'm starting to weep
as I write this, oh gentle reader... :'''(

So between my very sweet and dainty wife and my much-adored and
respected elders (all of whom I want to KEEP as friends), I shall
be seeking wings like feathers. Of course, only to the degree my
budget and subtle colorful comment begins eternal lust for
penetration subtle colorful comment ends allows.

And I'm only half-joking...a long car ride with two sweaty
crewmembers and me who just lifted 150+ pounds 50 feet and then over
a fence doesn't seem so good either...
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old September 11th 04, 12:02 AM
OscarCVox

Well if you are looking for an easy flying glider...you
can't go too far wrong with a Discus,

I couldnt agree more. We are using it as the first retractable club glider. We
keep them in the trailer rather than the hanger as they are so quick and simple
to rig.
Typically we can rig all three using just the three pilots in 15 minutes.
I think the wings are lighter than the LS4 as they have carbon spars.
You can even buy them new still according to Schliechers web site
Old September 11th 04, 12:11 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Marc Ramsey wrote:

Stefan wrote:
Higher premium because of low time in "anything" may make sense, but
because of low time in over 35:1 certainly doesn't.

If you consider that, here in the US, time in "under 35:1 gliders" often
means Schweizer 2-33, it starts to make sense...

So how would you classify time in:

- Std Libelle (over 35:1)
- Grob 103 (over 35:1 ... just)
- ASK21 (over 35:1 ... just ... maybe)
- Club Libelle (a Std Libelle with fixed UC and bigger cockpit in an
effort to reduce it to exactly 35:1 to meet class rules)
- PW5 (under 35:1, a little)

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Old September 11th 04, 09:29 AM
tango4

I can rig and derig a Nimbus 3 using just a Cobra one man rigging dolly and
I'm fat and 45. If you can't do it with an LS4 may I suggest membership the
local lawn bowls or fishing club!

Ian

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message

Old September 11th 04, 05:33 PM
Eric Greenwell

tango4 wrote:
I can rig and derig a Nimbus 3 using just a Cobra one man rigging dolly and
I'm fat and 45.

How often do you do this in a plowed field?

One of Mark's points, as well as mine, is the potential retrieve
difficulty will much affect the pilot new to cross-country flying. A
Nimbus 3 isn't likely to inspire the new XC pilot to take ANY chance of
landing out. A Nimbus 3 can more easily reach the next airport than,
say, a Russia, but in our area that can be little consolation: many
airports are too narrow to land that 25 meter wing, so you are forced
into a field anyway.

I encourage the wannabe cross-country pilot to think about what will be
the biggest hinderance to that type of flying, then acquire what will
overcome that. It might plenty of L/D, or a light weight glider for easy
retrieving, or gungho friends/spouse/kids that like the "pick it out of
the field" adventure, or a powered glider. It's not the same for
everyone or every place.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM