gliders in movies

Old March 18th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in movies

Jono Richards wrote:
UK Smokin Vid was a DVD made by some British Juniors...it
involves a mix of competition flying, ridges, wave,
interviews with some of the best Junior pilots we have
in Britain, and needless to say, beat-ups (hence, Smokin!)
It is about half an hour long, but unfortunately they
dont make it any more (sold out!) However, I am sure
if you put an advert on gp.net someone would have a
copy? Or maybe enough interest from the American sector
would ignite a few more copies...

I can honestly say it is the best DVD for gliding I
have ever seen, and shows gliding at its best in Britain.

That does sound like a treat.

Anyone in my neck of the woods (the San Francisco are) have a copy?

Johan Larson

Old March 18th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

MickiMinner wrote:
I knew about the movies that having gliding/sailplanes in them that
have already been mentioned (even checked out the video a couple of
weeks ago!)
However, I KNOW that I watched an old B&W movie with Stuart Whitman,
about the glider corp before D-Day in WWII. I have been trying to find
it ever since, any ideas?

Here's Stuart Whitman's IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926183/

None of the movies look exactly like what you are describing, but here
are some plausible candidates:

"The Last Escape" (1970) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065966/
"Darby's Rangers" (1958) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065966/
"Bombers B-52" (1957) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050204/

Johan Larson

Old March 18th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Right mate, I have found a 'taster' video of Smokin
on a University Club website... its not anywhere near
as good as the 2004 version, but its the 2003 one and
is pretty good.

Quality not brilliant but you get the idea.

I think main differences between this and 2004 one
is that there is much more 'action' in the latter,
where this one has quite a bit of just bimbleing around...

anyway, heres the link:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~gliding/links.html

Enjoy!

JR

Old March 18th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thomas Crown Affair (both pilatus B4 with Steeve mac Queen and duo Discus
with Pierce Brosnan)
a écrit dans le message de news:
Has anyone compiled a list of movies in which gliders appear? I tried
googling, and it turned up some of the obvious names, such as _The
Thomas Crown Affair_ and _The Boy Who Flew With Condors_, but nothing
like a comprehensive listing.

Johan Larson (whose interest in soaring was triggered by a brief scene
in the movie _Wind_)

Old March 18th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Herve Hurlin" wrote in message
Thomas Crown Affair (both pilatus B4 with Steeve mac Queen and duo Discus
with Pierce Brosnan)

Steve flew a 1-23

Old March 18th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, if we're going to include made-for-TV movies, we must not forget
Skyward, 1980, directed by Ron Howard. A parapalegic girl follows a
pair of Jantars to the local airport, takes flying lessons, even goes
for a ride with Derek Piggot in a 2-32.

MaD wrote:
The Sky Trap
A young glider pilot gets in trouble after disturbing some drug dealers
after an outlanding near the US/Mexican border.
I haven't seen the whole thing but there are only few moments in it
without a glider. Mostly Blanik.

Interestingly http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348049/ says it's a British
production,
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movie...ml?v_id=129031 says it's
US.

Regards
Marcel Duenner

Old March 18th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hmm, I found the original UK smokin' vid (2003) much more interesting
than the admittedly more polished 2004 version.

No question about the quality difference, though - and they are both
fun to watch.

Again - not exactly on topic with the original post, but "A Fine Week
Of Soaring" is the best video I've found to show what glider racing is
all about - even my non-soaring pilot friends find it interesting.

KIrk
66

Old March 20th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eagle's nest (I think, but I'm not sure)
WW-II Pow's in a castle in the mountians make a two place glider to escape
from an escape proof prison and fly to Switzerland.

"The Birdmen" (1971, TV). Doug McClure, Chuck Connors.

Aviation Movies? Dave Burton Piloting 56 June 20th 05 03:19 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM