gliders in movies

Old March 20th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in commercials

MickiMinner wrote:
Found another movie...sounds great...."The Sky Trap" directed by Ron
Howard in 1980. Plot is of a glider pilot that lands out on a runway
close to the border and accidently disturbs drug smugglers.....sounds
like a normal day in Arizona or Texas! I haven't seen it, but you can
bet I will try to find this film. Besides which, Ron Howard is a
pretty good director!
Micki

I think you are confusing these two movies:
"Skyward"(1980)(by Ron Howard) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081526/
and
"The Sky Trap"(1978)(by Jerome Courtland)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348049/

"Skyward" is about a parapelegic girl who learns to fly. "The Sky Trap"
is about two kids who run afoul of drug dealers.

Good luck getting your hands on them. I don't think either one has ever
been released on DVD or VHS. Where would one even begin looking?

Johan Larson

Old March 20th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 12:30 20 March 2006, Derek Copeland wrote:
Many years ago in the UK there was an advert for either
Cinzano or Martini (or some other upmarket drink) that
featured some gliders flying around an impressive looking
mountain top chateau.

Derek Copeland

Been looking for this ad on the interweb for a while,
with no joy. It was for Martini (anytime, anyplace,
anywhere) and was filmed at Portmoak (in Scotland)
and featured a glider flying round a full black-tie,
silver-service dinner set up on top of Bishop Hill.

Old March 20th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If someone is interested in a Pal VHS format video, "Skyward" is
available now for sale on e-Bay. Just type in "Skyward" in the search
box.

Old March 21st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 20 Mar 2006 12:26:57 GMT, Derek Copeland
wrote:

Many years ago in the UK there was an advert for either
Cinzano or Martini (or some other upmarket drink) that
featured some gliders flying around an impressive looking
mountain top chateau.

....and there was a US commercial in the late 1960s featuring two
glider pilots taking turns doing loops and rolls while puffing on
cigarettes.

rj
Old March 21st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in movies

"John H. Campbell" jhpc@greeleynet-dot-com wrote in message
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
WW-II Pow's in a castle in the mountians make a two place glider to
escape from an escape proof prison and fly to Switzerland.

Wasn't the real story of the 'Colditz Cock', the building of the replica,
and the reunion, a very recent documentary on public TV?

WOW! I had no idea there was anything real behind the movie!!!

http://www.colditz-4c.com/glider.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...237060,00.html

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 21st 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Freefall: Flight 174" . Not a glider per se, but the true story of the
"gimli glider" , the 767 which ran out of fuel over Canada and "landed out"
in an abandoned strip safely, using slip for landing . It is available on
DVD. Just rented it from Netflix. Worth watching.

Ramy

Old March 21st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
WW-II Pow's in a castle in the mountians make a two place glider to
escape from an escape proof prison and fly to Switzerland.

Wasn't the real story of the 'Colditz Cock', the building of the replica,
and the reunion, a very recent documentary on public TV?

WOW! I had no idea there was anything real behind the movie!!!

http://www.colditz-4c.com/glider.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...237060,00.html

I read two books about Colditz as a kid in the early '60s and remember
being struck by the resemblance between the Slingsby Kirby Cadet MkIII
(aka as T31 in which I did my first 'real' solo after slides and hops in
a Grasshopper) and the picture in the Colditz book of the original
glider (never flown and destroyed by fire IIRC).

Does anyone know if there is a direct link between these two aircraft or
is the similarity just coincidence?

Robert
Old March 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in movies - OR commercials

Seen the Ameriprise ad? Looks like an ASW instrument cowling
wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone compiled a list of movies in which gliders appear? I tried
googling, and it turned up some of the obvious names, such as _The
Thomas Crown Affair_ and _The Boy Who Flew With Condors_, but nothing
like a comprehensive listing.

Johan Larson (whose interest in soaring was triggered by a brief scene
in the movie _Wind_)

Aviation Movies? Dave Burton Piloting 56 June 20th 05 03:19 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM