Camera mounts for small digital camera

Old August 11th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kestrel254

Default Camera mounts for small digital camera

Can anyone recommend a camera bracket/mount that can be used inside or
outside a glider cockpit for a small camera e.g. Lumix?
TIA
George Emsden
Old August 11th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 09:58 11 August 2008, kestrel254 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a camera bracket/mount that can be used inside or
outside a glider cockpit for a small camera e.g. Lumix?
TIA
George Emsden

Check around anyone who has been gliding competitively for more than 15
years and you will probably find they have camera mounts for canopy rails
in their junk box. Ensure that your mount stands off far enough from the
canopy for telescopic lens to open out (or you will b*gger the camera!)
Old August 11th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_6_]

Peter Wyld wrote:
At 09:58 11 August 2008, kestrel254 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a camera bracket/mount that can be used inside or
outside a glider cockpit for a small camera e.g. Lumix?
TIA
George Emsden

Check around anyone who has been gliding competitively for more than 15
years and you will probably find they have camera mounts for canopy rails
in their junk box. Ensure that your mount stands off far enough from the
canopy for telescopic lens to open out (or you will b*gger the camera!)

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect he's looking for a
more universal mount than one that only aims at a wing tip. Try here
for starters:
http://www.ram-mount.com/camera_mount/camera_mounts.htm

Shawn
Old August 19th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I have had pretty good luck with making my own simple camera mounts.
They are easy to build. First, 99.999% of cameras come with a screw
tripod mount on the bottom which is a 1/4" bolt with 20 threads per
inch (commonly called a "1/4-20", pronouced quarter-twenty). Get
yourself a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum about 4" square. Drill and
tap a 1/4-20 hole in the middle. Screw in a short (about 1/4" long)
1/4-20 bolt into the tapped hole. Alternately, you can use thinner
aluminum, drill a through hole and put a nut on the bolt between the
aluminum and the camera.

Attach this to your glare shield with gaffer's tape (used by the movie
industry). Its as strong as duct tape but doesn't leave sticky
residue. Here is a source. http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/p...products_id/51

You may have to play with bending the aluminum plate if your glare
screen is not flat. I have a DG and it's instrument pod is perfectly
flat on top. Screw on your camera. You may have to play with to get
it both tight and oriented in the right direction, either forward or
at the wing tip (or back at yourself!).

Here is a video taken by myself with my digital camera following a
friend in for a landing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPMAAF7pMg
Old August 19th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

Nice video. But how do you keep the yaw string so straight while landing
the glider AND playing the guitar so nicely. Amazing!

Paul Remde

Old August 19th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi John,

Nice video. But how do you keep the yaw string so straight while landing
the glider AND playing the guitar so nicely. Amazing!

Paul Remde

Simple, the yaw string shown in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPMAAF7pMg is one of my MKII "high tech"
yaw strings. They naturally reduce yaw while adding at least 2 points to
L/D. Some say it's almost as good as an auto pilot - - all UAVs should be so
equipped.

bumper
zz

Lost camera Dick[_3_] Soaring 0 April 8th 08 09:12 PM
Camera Litigation in UK [email protected] Soaring 12 January 28th 06 08:16 PM
SOARING article on camera mounts Charles Petersen Soaring 4 June 25th 05 07:02 AM
Camera Mounts & Gliding Photography Charles Petersen Soaring 0 June 18th 05 10:35 AM
A-4 gun camera question Guy Alcala Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 04 06:33 AM