Youth Members in your (US) Club

Old October 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Mark James Boyd

Bob Kibby wrote:
Texas Soaring Association (USA) has a very active and successful Youth
Program. Go to "Item 13. TSA Youth Program" on our home page at:
http://www.texassoaring.org/ to see youth qualifications, ect.

More on the youth thing...

Los Angeles, CA, USA has a glider squadron of Civil Air Patrol.
I'd like to set one up in the Bay Area, CA. Perhaps out of Moffett
Field or NASA Crows Landing.

The CAP seems to have a real knack for this stuff.
Maybe open a unit in your area?

Just an idea...
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 8th 04, 06:04 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
snip
At my club, it seems most of the members understand that the
youth are the key to the club. We absolutely love the
BBQ and picnic and rides for kids. Yes, some of the youth don't
have the focus, single-mindedness, and discipline to
shoot through a training program. Same for some adults.

snip
A good water balloon launcher or two is essential for hot evening BBQs.
Kids make great moving targets at 75-100 yards. An ice chest can hold
hundreds of pre-loaded balloons.

Old October 12th 04, 08:47 PM
For Example John Smith

Soaring Club of Houston has two special interest groups within the club, one
for youth and one for women. The one for Youth has over a dozen members and
includes some of the most active pilots, in terms of tows, in the club.
The club also has a family membership option.

I hope my daughter takes an interest (she's two now). It sure is great to
see families enjoying the flying, the working and the cameraderie of the
gliderport.

Brent
"Ulrich Neumann" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I need your input on an issue that has led to an ongoing, heated
debate ever since my son joined our soaring club at age 14. He begun
taking lessons and soloed during a youth soaring camp organized by
another club this summer. A small but vocal group of members are
stricktly against youth- and family memberships. Kids under 18 are
considered a liability, a hazard to themself during the operation and
just not desirable members in their minds. All kinds of half-baked
legalities are being cited i.e. that the club could get dragged down
finacially if a minor would get hurt and a suit be filed by the
parents, etc. I can't shake the impression that these guys would like
to have a 'good 'ol boy county club with planes'! (Heck, the golf
carts are already there!)

Therefore my questions: Does your club have a youth/family membership
category with reduced dues and/or waived initiation fees? Does your
club have a youth program? Have there ever been any legal/insurance
issues with minor members in your club? Any input is appreciated. (you
may reply privately, if you don't want to discuss this on the net)

Ulrich Neumann

Old October 14th 04, 12:33 AM
Mark James Boyd

I hope my daughter takes an interest (she's two now). It sure is great to
see families enjoying the flying, the working and the cameraderie of the
gliderport.

Brent

She's two and she isn't ready to solo yet? ;P

When my daughter was 6 months old, I could hardly keep her from
grabbing the stick! She was pulling back so hard
I though she really wanted to try spins, but I told her she'd
need to be at least seven months old before we tried that.

I have to say for youth price can be a little bit of a problem
too. I've been thinking about how to reduce the cost of flying for youth.
Gliders is a good first step, but the launch seems a bit pricey.
I've GOT to try this auto-tow launch business. Now THAT
seems like a good way to get youth involved...at a low price...

P.S. Too bad I won't be able to teach my daughter after Oct. 20th
unless she has a Government Photo ID and verification of citizenship.
I need this to verify she was really the little girl I saw
there when my wife was giving birth... ;P
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 14th 04, 12:45 AM
Bill Daniels

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
snip

I have to say for youth price can be a little bit of a problem
too. I've been thinking about how to reduce the cost of flying for youth.
Gliders is a good first step, but the launch seems a bit pricey.
I've GOT to try this auto-tow launch business. Now THAT
seems like a good way to get youth involved...at a low price...

snip ------------+
Mark J. Boyd

Auto tow takes too much room. Look at winch launch.

This REALLY turns on young people.

Bill Daniels

Old October 14th 04, 01:11 AM
Mark James Boyd

Auto tow takes too much room. Look at winch launch.

This REALLY turns on young people.

Bill Daniels

Well, as I don't have a winch in my driveway, this doesn't work.
I have a winch in my driveway, and I have a auto-tow rig.
Now I just need a runway...

NASA Crow's landing looks ideal. Nobody else out there,
big long runway, failry close to major cities, and I've
got several "ins."

Winch just isn't happening for under $500 + footwork.
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 14th 04, 01:12 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article 416dc436$1@darkstar, Mark James Boyd wrote:
Auto tow takes too much room. Look at winch launch.

This REALLY turns on young people.

Bill Daniels

Well, as I don't have a winch in my driveway, this doesn't work.
I have a winch in my driveway, and I have a auto-tow rig.

OOps, I meant to say "I have a truck in my driveway"

Old October 14th 04, 01:43 PM
Ulrich Neumann

I hope my daughter takes an interest (she's two now). It sure is great to
see families enjoying the flying, the working and the cameraderie of the
gliderport.

Brent

Hi all,

thank you very much for your contributions on the issue of
youth/family memberships. I guess I am just dealing with some odd-ball
geezers and I am glad to hear that other groups take a more pro-active
role in supporting young (minor) pilots.
As for Brent's comment: I can confirm that is very satisfying as a
parent to see ones son or daughter take an inteest in the activity you
love. I had my son sitting in the back seat when he was four or five.
Then he was sitting in the front seat. Now he is sitting in the 1-26
across the thermal trying to outclimb his old man! My daughter is
showing interest too and I just hope that we can resolve the family
membership issue in our club by the time she is old enough to take
lessons.

Uli Neumann

All Soaring Club Members Slick Soaring 2 August 10th 04 09:03 AM
Northern NJ Flying Club Accepting New Members Andrew Gideon Aviation Marketplace 1 June 12th 04 03:03 AM
Northern NJ Flying Club Accepting New Members Andrew Gideon General Aviation 0 June 12th 04 02:14 AM
Northern NJ Flying Club Accepting New Members Andrew Gideon Owning 0 June 12th 04 02:14 AM