PW-6 family fun ------

Old March 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-6 family fun ------

PW-6 is approved for IMC and performs aerobatics except continuous
inverted flying and full rolls -- most owners never need these.

Knacklappen wrote:
As a friend of mine just pointed out, I have missed to highlight that
there is a certain difference in g-load capability between the PW6 and
ASK21, which will limit the use of the PW6 for Aerobatics and IMC
training:
http://jarek24.w.interia.pl/pw/pw6e.htm
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/e...sk21_daten.htm

Old March 6th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As my old instructor once replied after I asked him if we could invert
the 23 year old,club operated Grob 103 - "...fine, just drop me off
before you'll do that...".

Old March 7th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The answer is simple. The ASK 21 is a quality glider.
The PW6 is a lower quality glider built to a price.
Comparing these two gliders is like comparing a BMW
and a Hyundai.

If you are struggling with the answer to your question
I suggest you take a closer look at the two aircraft.
If you can't see the difference in build quality then
you have even less engineering awareness than me –
and that’s saying something.

Check the tailplane hookup arrangement. Note that
when you sit in the back of the 21 you actually have
instruments.

Also, check the finish of a 5 year old 6 vs a 5 year
old 21.

There's nothing wrong with the PW6 if you are buying
to a price. It lower quality and therefore cheaper.

You always get what you pay for.

At 13:42 06 March 2006, Gk wrote:

(2) The shameless plug actually promoted a PW-5/6,
which in my very
humble opinion (though shared by many others) is a
couple of
offensively ugly gliders. This probably made my initial
statement a bit
more 'spicy' than necessary. ;-)

Answering your question, I would recommend a combination
of ASK-21 and
LS-4, both quite versatile gliders, usable for teaching
but also in
competitions.

Agreed on pewee 5, but how exactly is Ask-21 better
than Pewee 6?
Other than brand new price tag being doubled or so.
Same 1:31 gliding
ratio according to SM testing, so you hypothesis is
based on the same
idea people go and buy MB cars thinking they've just
got a better
build, reliable flashy vehicle soon thereafter they
realize it's a
flashy Ford quality money pit. My club picks would
be Pewee 6 - for
a price of 20 year old Ask-21 used in a club you can
get a new one and
Ls-4.

Old March 7th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting --- paying German workers incredibly high hourly rates means
the quality of their work is higher too? Both ships are designed to the
same European Union standards.

Old March 7th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Ben Flewett wrote:

If you can't see the difference in build quality then
you have even less engineering awareness than me –
and that’s saying something.

Hey Ben. Nice TV segment tonight. And good "this is an Xtreme Sport"
plug at the end.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old March 7th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There are no "European Union quality standards". The EASA authority is
mostly concerned with performance limits, like g-loads. How the gelcoat
is degrading over time is not regulated anywhere, and it would be a
ridiculous overregulation if it were.

Old March 7th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lots of truth there but remember -- the LBA has approved the PW-6
production arrangements. Surely they don't condone lesser quality.

Knacklappen wrote:

Regarding supposedly high labour cost in Germany vs. supposedly lower
labour costs in Eastern Europe I recommend reading this from a
competitor of Schleicher:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/kosten-e.html

Old March 7th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One of your competitiors had some interesting comments about the
quality of the LS glider he was using; grid mechanic was running the
other way each time he seen him and his quality built glider...

A36 for Family Trips Bob Owning 9 June 9th 05 04:06 AM
SU-37 Family avionics equipment LIM Military Aviation 0 April 28th 04 03:17 AM
Flying and the New Family Marco Leon Piloting 33 December 24th 03 06:11 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Lindbergh's other family Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 3rd 03 12:30 AM