Suitable coating for spring-steel wire?

Old February 6th 04, 03:46 PM
Wright1902Glider

Default Suitable coating for spring-steel wire?

This will be an odd request since solid-strand spring steel wire hasn't been
used in a/c for nearly 80 years. Here goes:

I'm using 15ga. solid-strand spring steel wire in my Wright 1902 glider. It
was shipped with an oil-coating that held up for a few months. Problem is that
the oil did not protect the wires from mosture for very long and now they are
surface rusting. Does anyone have a coating recomendation that will not flake
off when the wires are coiled into a 2ft. dia. bundle? I'm also looking for
something that will not remain sticky, as linseed oil does, or be oily like the
original coating. The wings of my plane are undoped cotton and I'd like them
to stay clean when I set up and break down the plane. Black and clear are both
acceptable colors for this job.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Old February 6th 04, 07:46 PM
Russell Kent

Wright1902Glider wrote:

I'm using 15ga. solid-strand spring steel wire in my Wright 1902 glider. It
was shipped with an oil-coating that held up for a few months. Problem is that
the oil did not protect the wires from mosture for very long and now they are
surface rusting. Does anyone have a coating recomendation that will not flake
off when the wires are coiled into a 2ft. dia. bundle? I'm also looking for
something that will not remain sticky, as linseed oil does, or be oily like the
original coating. The wings of my plane are undoped cotton and I'd like them
to stay clean when I set up and break down the plane. Black and clear are both
acceptable colors for this job.

That "rubber grip" stuff for tools *might* be flexible enough for your needs.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....product_id=645

Russell Kent

Old February 6th 04, 11:51 PM
Jim Austin

Wright1902Glider wrote:
Does anyone have a coating recomendation that will not flake
off when the wires are coiled into a 2ft. dia. bundle? I'm also looking for
something that will not remain sticky, as linseed oil does, or be oily like the
original coating. The wings of my plane are undoped cotton and I'd like them
to stay clean when I set up and break down the plane. Black and clear are both
acceptable colors for this job.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Check this out:

http://www.loctite.com.au/industrial/PRODUCTS/754.htm

I love this stuff. It turns flat or satin black when dry. Be sure
and read the technical data sheet at the link on this page.

Jim Austin

Old February 7th 04, 01:11 AM
jls

"Jim Austin" wrote in message

Wright1902Glider wrote:
Does anyone have a coating recomendation that will not flake
off when the wires are coiled into a 2ft. dia. bundle? I'm also

looking for
something that will not remain sticky, as linseed oil does, or be oily

like the
original coating. The wings of my plane are undoped cotton and I'd like

them
to stay clean when I set up and break down the plane. Black and clear

are both
acceptable colors for this job.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Check this out:

http://www.loctite.com.au/industrial/PRODUCTS/754.htm

I love this stuff. It turns flat or satin black when dry. Be sure
and read the technical data sheet at the link on this page.

Jim Austin

Yeah, I agree, Jim. This stuff reacts with the rust, neutralizes it, and
makes a great primer

Old February 9th 04, 01:35 PM
Wright1902Glider

Thanks. I've used the Wal-Mart version of the 754 before but I don't know how
flexible it would be.

Does anyone here have any experience with ACF-50 on steel? I know it works
wonders on aluminum. Also, has anyone bought any recently from a reliable
source? A rattle-can's worth would do it if it would work.

Thanks again,
Harry
Old February 9th 04, 04:12 PM
jls

"Wright1902Glider" wrote in message
Thanks. I've used the Wal-Mart version of the 754 before but I don't know

how
flexible it would be.

Does anyone here have any experience with ACF-50 on steel? I know it

works
wonders on aluminum. Also, has anyone bought any recently from a reliable
source? A rattle-can's worth would do it if it would work.

Thanks again,
Harry

I use ACF-50, Boeshield, LPS-3, linseed oil, or paralketone, on aluminum or
steel. The latter two last longer and all 3 flex well.

Some steel takes well to cadmium plating, but you have to send it off to a
reputable electroplater. And cadmium-plating sends the environmentalists
into pavlovian convulsions.